Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News SHOCKER: Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian Entertainment

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I don't if you realized but my post was supposed to be a joke.

Your joke wasn’t fun and it caried with it a noxious canard.

How do you know this?

How don’t you?

Are you a good writer? Or an experienced critic?

Does one have to be in order to be critical?

Which works do you like that tell rather than show?

Is it a sine qua non that I like it?

What context makes telling appropriate? How do you decide this?

Isn’t it obvious when you know the purpose of showing and telling?

Which bad writers have shared this?

It is relevant to the discussion? Do bad writers matter that much to you?

Which good writers do you like that generally tell more or equally as much as they show?

What about the good writers I don’t like?

Yes, PS:T is popular - it is in fact my #1 game. But you can't tell me there isn't a problem when everyone I am trying to get to play it quits because the mortuary doesn't engage them. It's either very niche in its appeal or the beginning could have been - I hate to use that word - more streamlined to be more accessible.

So the problem doesn’t lie with the audience but the game?

I do feel like the best parts if PS:T constantly show rather than tell.

How precise are your feelings on the matter?

The way Ravel treats you. The ending cutscene. The tone of voice of the voice actors. Deionarra's theme. Most item descriptions that tell you about the world indirectly rather than spewing exposition.

So all of this is part of the writing—the start of the dissension—and features no telling at all?

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Should have phrased the first reply in the form of question so you could be ten for ten.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
So, MCA and Sawyer butted heads too much or Fergus and MCA butted heads too much?
I've no interest in reading 58 pages to find out.

Whilst I know it's trendy to blame Sawyer for everything wrong at Obsidian, a project manager is not able to single handedly force out a co-owner of a company.

NorthLurker

Educated
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Whilst I know it's trendy to blame Sawyer for everything wrong at Obsidian, a project manager is not able to single handedly force out a co-owner of a company.

but Sawyer wield the force of Balance and found MCA unbalanced so MCA had to flee to safety or else be balanced and be boring.

Fairfax

Arcane
So, MCA and Sawyer butted heads too much or Fergus and MCA butted heads too much?

Didn't Sawyer threaten to quit during the discussions about their Kickstarter project? That kind of drama usually leads to people having to pick sides and/or compromise, which generates more drama.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I still remember snapping a guy's neck through dialogue and getting my first flood of memories. First hint that the game was going to be more than a typical rpg experience.

I remember that zombie, who had some kind of interdimensional pocket in his chest, that was amazing, also green steel dagger was so-so. ))
I think this miniquest is better show spirit of the game than anything else in Mortuary.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Didn't Sawyer threaten to quit during the discussions about their Kickstarter project?
w0t

How do you know that?

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Didn't Sawyer threaten to quit during the discussions about their Kickstarter project?
w0t

How do you know that?

He's probably paraphrasing Roguey

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
There was an interview saying that. Don't you guys read the news?

I'll save you the trouble:
For a while they debated, arguing over how it’d make them look, how much to ask for, and whether people would care enough to crowdfund one of their games. Things got heated—I’d heard a rumor that Sawyer threatened to quit in the midst of these arguments, and although he says he never actually did, he acknowledges that the situation was tense.

A "rumor", but we all know anyone at Obsidian is so PC they'd deny anything that looks like internal conflict. Gotta keep that image. Afterall, the first thing they thought about before going to Kickstarter was "how it’d make them look".

Fairfax

Arcane
There was an interview saying that. Don't you guys read the news?

I'll save you the trouble:
For a while they debated, arguing over how it’d make them look, how much to ask for, and whether people would care enough to crowdfund one of their games. Things got heated—I’d heard a rumor that Sawyer threatened to quit in the midst of these arguments, and although he says he never actually did, he acknowledges that the situation was tense.

A "rumor", but we all know anyone at Obsidian is so PC they'd deny anything that looks like internal conflict. Gotta keep that image. Afterall, the first thing they thought about before going to Kickstarter was "how it’d make them look".
Yes, that's where I saw it. I really doubt it's not true. Such a shame they didn't let him put his money where his mouth is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom