Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News SHOCKER: Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian Entertainment

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No bro, it really is more fun to read "x frowned" than "x didn't approve of her words".

It all depends on the context; the former might be better suited in one situation, and the latter in another. But stating that one is de facto better—I assume that’s what you mean by “fun”—than the other is arbitrary.

Of course like every guideline you need to know when to break it.

Rules and guidelines need to make sense to begin with. This one is notoriously famous for being bad writing advice that bad writers share with future bad writers. But it’s short and can fit on a bumper sticker, so at least there’s that.

And in games you're really doing yourself a disservice when you try to "tell" too much that could have more easily been shown. Why are you using a medium that combines art, writing and sound when you aren't going to make use of all its elements?

The last time I checked, Planescape: Torment was still popular on the Codex.
All right, let's say you're right.

How do you know this? Are you a good writer? Or an experienced critic? Which works do you like that tell rather than show? What context makes telling appropriate? How do you decide this? Which bad writers have shared this? Which good writers do you like that generally tell more or equally as much as they show?

Yes, PS:T is popular - it is in fact my #1 game. But you can't tell me there isn't a problem when everyone I am trying to get to play it quits because the mortuary doesn't engage them. It's either very niche in its appeal or the beginning could have been - I hate to use that word - more streamlined to be more accessible.

I do feel like the best parts if PS:T constantly show rather than tell. The way Ravel treats you. The ending cutscene. The tone of voice of the voice actors. Deionarra's theme. Most item descriptions that tell you about the world indirectly rather than spewing exposition.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
PS:T ....yeah the first part is the part that *kills the game if you don't get it.

Zep--
*killed it for me because... *BORIING*

Ninjerk

Arcane
No bro, it really is more fun to read "x frowned" than "x didn't approve of her words".

It all depends on the context; the former might be better suited in one situation, and the latter in another. But stating that one is de facto better—I assume that’s what you mean by “fun”—than the other is arbitrary.

Of course like every guideline you need to know when to break it.

Rules and guidelines need to make sense to begin with. This one is notoriously famous for being bad writing advice that bad writers share with future bad writers. But it’s short and can fit on a bumper sticker, so at least there’s that.

And in games you're really doing yourself a disservice when you try to "tell" too much that could have more easily been shown. Why are you using a medium that combines art, writing and sound when you aren't going to make use of all its elements?

The last time I checked, Planescape: Torment was still popular on the Codex.
All right, let's say you're right.

How do you know this? Are you a good writer? Or an experienced critic? Which works do you like that tell rather than show? What context makes telling appropriate? How do you decide this? Which bad writers have shared this? Which good writers do you like that generally tell more or equally as much as they show?

Yes, PS:T is popular - it is in fact my #1 game. But you can't tell me there isn't a problem when everyone I am trying to get to play it quits because the mortuary doesn't engage them. It's either very niche in its appeal or the beginning could have been - I hate to use that word - more streamlined to be more accessible.

I do feel like the best parts if PS:T constantly show rather than tell. The way Ravel treats you. The ending cutscene. The tone of voice of the voice actors. Deionarra's theme. Most item descriptions that tell you about the world indirectly rather than spewing exposition.
Obviously the mortuary is the problem.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I know its probably an age old discussion for you guys but can someone enlighten me what the problem with the Mortuary is supposed to be? Played PS:T a few months ago (not finished yet, got distracted) and I didn't even think about it. Too much exposition or what? I found the mortuary pretty fascinating, just like bascially everything about the game world. I went into PS:T knowing it was a a text heavy game and that was that. If you don't like reading and have no attention-span you shouldn't play the game. Its like going into Wizardry and complaining about the combat or going into Dragon Age and complaining about the gay sex.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I know its probably an age old discussion for you guys but can someone enlighten me what the problem with the Mortuary is supposed to be? Played PS:T a few months ago (not finished yet, got distracted) and I didn't even think about it. Too much exposition or what? I found the mortuary pretty fascinating, just like bascially everything about the game world. I went into PS:T knowing it was a a text heavy game and that was that. If you don't like reading and have no attention-span you shouldn't play the game. Its like going into Wizardry and complaining about the combat or going into Dragon Age and complaining about the gay sex.

Too much text and the text (and the skull) was boring as fuck and tedious.

Zep--

Ulrox

Arbiter
I hate to use that word - more streamlined to be more accessible.

Its not Planescape there's something wrong with. It's the people's who couldn't complete it's, attention span, that needs an upgrade. I dont think Planescape:Torment would be planescape:torment if you made it more accessible and streamlined, unless you had 50 million dollars worth of voice acting and cinematics.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Warning: You are being trolled

Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I was the same. PS:T was my first encounter with the PS setting. By the time I left the mortuary, the hooks were in really deep.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Guess it's been a while but I don't remember it being tedious, and I have very low tolerance for walls of text. Maybe the scenario just had me hooked p. hard, the visuals alone hinting this isn't your run of the mill BSB CRPG

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The Mortuary was one of the best openings for a game IMO. Mysteries, challenged expectations, wierdness, characters that jump off the screen. I knew the game was for me right then and there. (I was young and impressionable, but zombies that were nice? some you could talk to? extracting stuff from their mouths (or was it their head)!? ultimately empathizing with those things you thought you had to kill? That's the good shit right there!)

:love:

The off-putting stuff for me was the D&D system, it was really incongruent with the gameplay. There's a game about talking and mysteries, and I have to care about THAC0, classes, multiclassing limitations, etc.? I'd rather the character system was about beliefs, personality and relationships that build over time, with maybe skills, starting blank. But then that system baggage was mandatory with the setting (and a selling point).

Ninjerk

Arcane
It helps that TNO, at first glance, doesn't look like the generic amnesiac Everyman that you end up playing for most of the game.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I didn't like the Mortuary because it created a false first impression of what PS:T is really like. I thought it was too morbid and uninteresting compared to the later game.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Mortuary needs to be populated with high pitched voiced nurses with multitude of colorful hairs and carry a giant syringe while wearing a nurse outfit, preferably with an elegant top and skirt before it becomes palatable to the mainstream crowd.

TNO also needs to be younger cause immortals don't age. Also, Morte needs to be more of a familiar cat/dog/dragon or mini-succubi instead of a floating skull that has no distinguishing features.
I don't know about you, but many people would be triggered easily by a flying, talking skull.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Mortuary needs to be populated with high pitched voiced nurses with multitude of colorful hairs and carry a giant syringe while wearing a nurse outfit, preferably with an elegant top and skirt before it becomes palatable to the mainstream crowd.

TNO also needs to be younger cause immortals don't age. Also, Morte needs to be more of a familiar cat/dog/dragon or mini-succubi instead of a floating skull that has no distinguishing features.
I don't know about you, but many people would be triggered easily by a flying, talking skull.
Perhaps people would be more engaged if Morte made TNO kill 10 of those zombies before advancing the MQ. There could be a little map in one of the topmost corner with a little radar showing which shambling NPCs are the zombies.

EDIT: Come to think of it, there should be something near the edge of the screen that tracks how many zombies the player has killed so they know when the first quest is done.

RK47

Patron
They shd have co-op to have multiple incarnation of TNO working together with different movesets in the 2016 remake.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

Bah! You are stopping halfway through. Planescapte: Torment should take place in high school and begin with TNO waking up in the nurse's office. Morte should obviously be a cute girl.

Ninjerk

Arcane
They shd have co-op to have multiple incarnation of TNO working together with different movesets in the 2016 remake.
Perhaps one of the classes can be a monk class where he can learn kung fu movesets.

Gondolin

Arcane

Another fascinating insight into the Azn mind.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I still remember snapping a guy's neck through dialogue and getting my first flood of memories. First hint that the game was going to be more than a typical rpg experience.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Bah! You are stopping halfway through. Planescapte: Torment should take place in high school and begin with TNO waking up in the nurse's office. Morte should obviously be a cute girl.

Are you guys ripping off weaboo game tropes?

I've never played one so those jokes go over my head.

RK47

Patron
I still remember snapping a guy's neck through dialogue and getting my first flood of memories. First hint that the game was going to be more than a typical rpg experience.

Nowadays we just press F to pay respects.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Nowadays we just press F to pay respects.
Ya, I get a flood of feels. Doesn't matter that they won't let me leave the gravesite without paying my respects.

Trip

Learned

As someone who's been part of the jury in over a dozen amateur writing competitions, I can guarantee you that those writers needed to hear exactly "Show, don't tell". It's the go-to rookie mistake. They either lack the imaginative tenacity to burrow down beyond the first, cliche way of describing something, or they think any reader will immediately imagine what's in the author's head in its fullness, irrespective of the vague, enervated locutions on the page.

With a little experience, a writer catches on to the contrast between showing and summarizing, or pulling the camera a little bit. Any of the following could work in the appropriate structure: "She fell into a screaming fit." or "She screamed and screamed and screamed." or "She screamed at him, the fucking moldy bastard." or ""You fucking moldy bastard!" she screamed." or just have the line of dialogue without the speech tag. But I've found that to develop an intuition for "telling" you usually first need a very strong habit of imagining the stuff as "shown" and then decide to pull back and switch to fast-forward summary mode.

(Btw, sorry to be Stannis Grammateon for a second, but "notoriously famous" is a tautology...)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom