Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shitty FPS Nostalgia Thread

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
And you don't fucking use the word "at least" with Daikatana, ever.
i can and i will, look: at least daikatana had levels that were not warehouses with red-brownish coloured lighting.
at least not all of daikatanas weapons were completely bland and useless (even though they had more potential to kill you, rather than the enemy)

That game was an irredeemable piece of shit
i don't think anyone argued against that.

ColCol

Arcane
Has Chex quest been mentioned yet? I feel like Chex quest should have been mentioned.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
i can and i will, look: at least daikatana had levels that were not warehouses with red-brownish coloured lighting.
at least not all of daikatanas weapons were completely bland and useless (even though they had more potential to kill you, rather than the enemy)

i don't think anyone argued against that.

The warehouses in Quake 2 looked a million times better than any of the shit in Daikatana.

Bland and useless weapons? You could probably finish the whole game just with the super shotgun if you had enough bullets. How the fuck is that useless? You had regular shotgun to take out grunts on long distance (same use as regular shotgun in Quake. Actually, you could take out anything with the single barrel shotgun in Quake, which made it a bit too useful). Machine gun to take out grunts at close range. Chain Gun to clear out room full of enemies. You could clear out half a level in conjunction with the quad damage, which felt really good thanks to the solid sound effect they used combined with the ludicrous gibbage. Rocket launcher was just about as powerful as that of Quake, just not as fun to use. Took as many rockets to take down a Tank as it did to take down a Shambler in Quake 1. Hyperblaster as a general purpose long distance weapon. And the Rail Gun which is just about one of the best weapons ever made in an FPS, but i'm sure you think it was useless merely because you have no skill with it. BFG sucked ass but that wasn't useless either. I took down the final boss with a couple of BFG shots + quad damage. It was really pathetic in a way.

The weapons of Daikatana by comparison feel like the typical goofy shit one finds in one of those poorly made total conversions. So much so i barely even remember what they were like.

Last edited:

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
the machine gun and shotgun are both weak as shit and, worst of all, unsatisfying to shoot. the shotgun barely kills the lowest tier shitgrunts in 1 hit, and that is if you stand directly infront of them.
the chaingun and supershotgun are pretty powerful, i admit. sadly you can fire the former an amazing 10 seconds before you have no ammo left, and my dick has bigger reach than the super shotgun.
the grenade launcher is basically a supershotgun that is a pain in the ass to aim and the grenades themselves are the biggest joke of all time since you could finish 2 levels before they explode and cooking them takes forever too.
i quit not long after getting the grenade launcher because i couldn't take the sheer blandness of the levels anymore 5 so i can#t talk about the railgun or any other later game weapons, but judging by the track record i bet they also sucked dick.

anyway, point is they are all uniformly terrible and boring, where as those of daikatana were terrible, amusing and numerous. my favorites include:
the ion blaster, which has ricochetting blasts that explode in water. it can, and will, hurt you.
shotcycler 6, a shotgun that fires 6 shots in a row physically pushing you back with every shot, making it useless in almost any situation!
c 4 vitzatergo, a grenade launcher that fires and plants motion triggered grenades 2 meters in front of you, and yes, you can (and will) trigger that motion sensor.
the eye of zeus, a powerful weapon that fires lasers and when used without enemies around will gib you.
nharres knightmare, a powerful weapon that summons a demon, that will, if no enemies are around, gib you

and many more!

Divinity: Original Sin

I actually liked timeshift... the time manipulation gameplay managed to entertain a little. I remeber the game being kind of short, which would explain how I managed to finish it.

Not so old but in the time traveling subject:

It was call of duty in different time periods, and when I played this I had the same feeling playing timeshift: Game is short so you finish it before getting bored, and you never play it again.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I wanted Timeshift to be good, unfortunately most of the gameplay ideas involve using Time Reversal to solve environmental puzzle instead of using it for explosive action sequences.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Has Chex quest been mentioned yet? I feel like Chex quest should have been mentioned.
This is the shitty FPS nostalgia thread. Chex Quest is awesome.
Not sure. AFAIK there was never a sequel and it never sold that well. Also I never met anyone who played that game, so I assumed that it wasn't considered good.
I've played it, and while it was over a decade ago, I don't remember anything about it. This tells me that it probably wasn't good or bad enough to be memorable.

DraQ

Arcane
Art direction is shit (arguable, btw)
Still more than can be said of Q2 which barely had any.

This seems to be the general problem people have with Q2. Apparently, the game fails at proper emotional engagement, so it must be shit!
Umm, no. It fails at proper gameplay and is awfully repetitive, therefore boring. Salvage the gameplay by either fixing individual enemies or throwing much more of them at once at player (also give the fucking armor plated cyborgs fucking armor), salvage environments by providing something more than techcorridors full of crates and you will have salvaged the game.

And you don't fucking use the word "at least" with Daikatana, ever. That game was an irredeemable piece of shit, and the so called "art direction" was actually worse than that of Q2. The whole game felt like a second rate Q2 total conversion made by a bunch of hack modders.
It seems I will need to dig up and try to play Dajkaszana CD I got from a magazine all the way through, after all.

The warehouses in Quake 2 looked a million times better than any of the shit in Daikatana.
Crates intensify.

Bland and useless weapons? You could probably finish the whole game just with the super shotgun if you had enough bullets. How the fuck is that useless?
So everything else was useless? Being able to ignore 90% of game's arsenal usually isn't a good thing.
:martini:
Although TBH I wouldn't consider most of Q2 arsenal bad, although it was pretty bland and shitty enemies prevented any interesting gameplay arising from individual weapons' quirks.

You had regular shotgun to take out grunts on long distance (same use as regular shotgun in Quake. Actually, you could take out anything with the single barrel shotgun in Quake, which made it a bit too useful).
Actually, weapons in Quake 1 sucked. Ok, apart from RL and Thunderbolt.

Chain Gun to clear out room full of enemies.
Actually it sucks at that. Partially because of very poor fire control, but mostly because you never have rooms full of enemies in Q2.
It's great at mincing tanks and other boss-grade enemies before they even get to shoot at you which it shouldn't be because they look like they have tons of armor which should make low shot damage but obscene rate of fire weapons ineffective against them.
Except, you know, armor as such doesn't exist in Quake 2. At least for numerous armor plated cyborgs forming 99% of your opposition. It does exist for the player and is quite involved systemically too so there isn't even an excuse of particular mechanics not being implemented in game. It is implemented, just not used where it's needed the most (because even with bare ass player needs to sit still a long while getting shot at to die). :M

(Of course tanks could be perfectly well taken out with basic blaster with no risk to the player apart from guarantee of particularly nasty case of carpal tunnel syndrome, but I digress).

Rocket launcher was just about as powerful as that of Quake, just not as fun to use. Took as many rockets to take down a Tank as it did to take down a Shambler in Quake 1.
Shamblers in Q1 were specifically resistant to explosives, IIRC, so that's not a good start.
Q2 RL was exactly as powerful as SSG, which wasn't very good given that vast majority of enemies didn't go down even when shot point blank with the mighty SSG. Additionally you didn't really have much opportunity to utilize splash damage on clustered foes so in the end Rocket Launcher boiled down to a SSG you could miss with at medium to long range and damage yourself with up close. And it produced awfully wimpy looking explosions.
And then came RG that was basically a more powerful hitscan RL you could use at any range, completely superseding whatever utility RL had left. There were more opportunities to use its overpenetration than RL's splash too.

And the Rail Gun which is just about one of the best weapons ever made in an FPS, but i'm sure you think it was useless merely because you have no skill with it.
Hardly the best, because it was rather boring. It was very useful though, arguably more than SSG, as it worked at all ranges, dealt even more damage and was incredibly economic as far as ammo was concerned.
It was really pathetic in a way.
A running joke in Q2.

It was puke colored most of the time. A bit like DX:HR's piss filter but more bile-like and far more nauseating.

the machine gun and shotgun are both weak as shit and, worst of all, unsatisfying to shoot.
Actually, I liked MG. You had to counter the recoil and was better off firing in short bursts. Pretty versatile too - great against shit tier enemies and still potent against anything from mid-tier, without SSG's range limitation. Piss poor accuracy, though.
the grenade launcher is basically a supershotgun that is a pain in the ass to aim
It's better than RL because you can bounce grenades around the corners for some extra cheese. Also a showoff weapon for taking out swarms of fliers (you had to score a direct hit for it to work).
Extracting any form of fun from Q2 pretty much requires self-imposed challenges, you see.

P.S. I'm not arguing that Dajkaszana is any good or even better than Q2, but being entertainingly bad is also a quality of sort - one than a merely mediocre but bland game doesn't have.

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Gunman Chronicles was alright as far as I remember, certainly not terrible but not exactly great either, offering some nice environments (space western stuff and ancient ruins with dinosaurs, among other things), a couple of pretty creative weapons and decent gunplay (despite some pretty annoying enemy types) but not being really impressive on any area. It was essentially a Half-Life mod that was somewhat dated by the time it came out, and I don't think it had great marketing either. The setting might've put some people off too, as even though Gunman borrowed quite heavily from Half-Life in places aside from the engine, it was more Xen than Black Mesa and by 2000 shooters had taken a turn towards more realistic settings, like SoF, NOLF and IGI from the same year. Kind of sad, really, considering the amount of generic shit that comes out nowadays.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Hardly the best, because it was rather boring.

Scrub detected. Rail Gun was the highlight of Quake 3 also. Definitely one of the most entertaining weapons ever devised in an FPS.

P.S. I'm not arguing that Dajkaszana is any good or even better than Q2, but being entertainingly bad is also a quality of sort - one than a merely mediocre but bland game doesn't have.

There's no such thing as "so bad its good" in video games. Quake 2 > Daikatana by a wide margin.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO DRAQ TAKE IT EASY ON QUAKE TWO I WORRRUY ABOUT YOU BRO

ONE MORE STEP OVER THE EDGE AND QUAKE TWO IS THE WORST GAME EVER MADE DAN YOU PLAYED IT SEVEM TIMES JUST TO MAKE SURE

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Gunman Chronicles was cool. I even had the urge to replay it recently, should go dive for my old CD :M

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Some people call Gunman Chronicles "a Xen level done right". I remember if enormous amount of GREY.
And you forgot to mention about gun customization. Turning pistol into fast firing smg or slow firing pseudo sniper rifle with long barrel?
Plus rocket launcher with 9? different function and few types of rockets, which can be used as grenades.

Don't remember if already mentioned but KISS Psycho Cirrus

Game could be cool if not enormous amount of respawning enemies. Collect armor set for each band member and fight with Child of Darkness. In the meantime - deactivate dozens of teleports.
Did I mentioned that I hate respawning enemies?

Codename Eagle
I got opportunity to play that one, remember it as one big mess. That voice acting though is :lol:
Probably same engine - Mortyr.
It launch on the modern systems, but for some reason it's EXTREMELY dark.

Gunman Chronicles was cool. I even had the urge to replay it recently, should go dive for my old CD :M

This, how was this supposed to be shit?! It's also impressive that it was basically a HL mod that became a standalone game.

Pencil Whipped rocked despite being an utter crap:

The last thing that blew my mind was that geam that occupied TOP10 of US sale charts during late 90' - Deer Hunter, a fucking moose hunting simulator. Why Kwans were into this trash I don't even.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom