Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse (3DS) Blasphemy Edition

EDIT: really wish it had first-person mazes like smt 2 and persona 1 though.

Personally hadn't tried it yet but I've heard in New Game Plus+ you can change view to fpp by pressing select button. Once I find my 2nd Cycle Nocturne save files I'll try if it's true.

duanth123

Arcane
No more.

The game's story is so shit, so unbelievably embarrassing and insulting to the mind, that I simply cannot finish this game.

I had to boot up Strange Journey today just to get the taste of shounen fuckery out of my mouth.

What the fuck have they done to this series?

Arcks

Educated
It's not like SMT series ever had good writing or plots. There was just not as much of it.

Is it really that bad? That's unfortunate.

Would probably be playing this right now if I hadn't dropped my 3DS and broken its right shoulder button :negative:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finally beat YHVH with the Dark path. Game was a solid 11/10. SMT4 was by and far the best mainline SMT game, mechanically, however gameplay was not changed much to balance out all the QoL improvements. With Apocalypse they got their shit together and made the game harder even with the QoL improvements. Toward the end I'd say that this was the hardest SMT game I've played yet. Even with all the RNG shenanigans in Nocturne I still managed to beat the game with the True Demon Ending as a newcomer to the series, but the end game in Apocalypse gave me a run for my money, even as a veteran. I already want to restart the game and go for the Light path this time, but I have so many other games right now that I'll probably return to this game in the summer break when I have the time.

duanth123

Arcane
Finally beat YHVH with the Dark path. Game was a solid 11/10. SMT4 was by and far the best mainline SMT game, mechanically, however gameplay was not changed much to balance out all the QoL improvements. With Apocalypse they got their shit together and made the game harder even with the QoL improvements. Toward the end I'd say that this was the hardest SMT game I've played yet. Even with all the RNG shenanigans in Nocturne I still managed to beat the game with the True Demon Ending as a newcomer to the series, but the end game in Apocalypse gave me a run for my money, even as a veteran. I already want to restart the game and go for the Light path this time, but I have so many other games right now that I'll probably return to this game in the summer break when I have the time.

Have no idea how you could say 11/10 with the offensively insufferable story and the manda-NPCs, though I would concede that YHVH on a fresh Apocalypse was probably the best final boss/theme in the mainline

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Have no idea how you could say 11/10 that with the offensively insufferable story and the manda-NPCs, though I would concede that YHVH on a fresh Apocalypse was probably the best final boss/theme in the mainline

I play games for the gameplay and not the story. That said, I did not mind the plot. It served its purpose to propel the player forward. I did not need anything sublime.

hackncrazy

Savant
One thing I like about the SMT games (aside from Persona 3 and 4) is that even a non storyfag can appreaciate them a lot.

I love Nocturne to death and I dont have the slightest idea about the story in that shit. The combat is so good that can make up to any problems the story have (again, I don't know/don't care if it have problems or not in the story).

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So Do you recommend the game if I liked SMTIV, but I have some annoyances with it?

Is it better? I only care about gameplay, music and atmosphere.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So Do you recommend the game if I liked SMTIV, but I have some annoyances with it?

What were your annoyances? And if you like SMT4 then there's no reason you wouldn't like this.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

What were your annoyances? And if you like SMT4 then there's no reason you wouldn't like this.

- The overworld map navigation.
- Too simple dungeons.
- Demons deprecate too fast. I know that the point is to fuse and experiment, but changing them too quickly, and the fact that they can inherit any ability, makes them merely short-lived skill-boxes skins without significance.
They should be cool demons you are glad to have in your party, for some time, like you attach to your characters in other blobbers.

In nocturne they leveled up a little faster, and you needed to keep them in your party longer, because important skills weren't so easy to transfer in demon fusion.

Maybe it's a little subjective, I don't know if more people agree.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

- Too simple dungeons.
- Demons deprecate too fast. I know that the point is to fuse and experiment, but changing them too quickly, and the fact that they can inherit any ability, makes them merely short-lived skill-boxes skins without significance.
They should be cool demons you are glad to have in your party, for some time, like you attach to your characters in other blobbers.

In nocturne they leveled up a little faster, and you needed to keep them in your party longer, because important skills weren't so easy to transfer in demon fusion.

Overworld map navigation got improved.
Mechanically the dungeons are simple, but they added a little bit more depth to it in Apoc. Also made them longer, especially the last two dungeons. The excuse of being limited by hardware gets thrown out of the window. They were just lazy with SMT4.
I fused a Daisoujou as soon as I could in Nocturne and I gave him such good skills that I used him throughout the whole game. Obviously that's not really going to happen here, but that's because you need to keep leveling new demons for the whispers. Demons themselves don't deprecate any faster that I've noticed, and you have the Apps that increase their stat gains per level to help with that.
Demons level up way faster in SMT4/Apoc than they did in Nocturne. Keeping demons in your party longer because of the dumb RNG inheritance system wasn't a pro, and many people savescummed the shit out of the system to get their perfect demons. It was really frustrating, especially when you wanted to make complex fusions. It took me so many hours of savescumming to make my damn Daisoujou. I guess it's subjective which one you prefer, but I sure as shit don't want to go back to the old days. SMT4 was an argument against giving full freedom in your skill inheritances, but Apocalypse proved that you can keep that system and still not be easy as pie. SMT4 was just a ridiculously easy game, and it was intended as an entry point to the series. Apocalypse, thankfully, is not.

duanth123

Arcane
- Too simple dungeons.

There are demon specific skills at higher levels which warrant keeping them. And a new system whereby each demon has stronger affinities for individual skill categories so a demon with a +3 +5 in fire magic could remain viable though usually for certain bosses there are only a handful of demons with the appropriate resistances/strengths to choose from.

All of this mind you is on Apocalypse difficulty which is Nocturne level and requires you don't be lazy

I strongly suggest you choose the highest DLC difficulty (free). Compendium prices are unaffected on highest

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That sounds great guys. It looks like they did a great job balancing the game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i started playing SMT IV Apocalypse on CITRA emulator and its muuuuuuuch better than SMT IV proper. Yes its basically a re-skin of SMT IV with a fan-fic new story but all of the little battle improvements and fusion system improvements really make a difference.

the biggest change (and improvement) IMO is the fact that unlike IV the world of SMT IV-Apocalypse actually features characters who live and work inside a realized world and it even has pseudo-towns (well a hub at least) and it is a BIG IMPROVEMENT over the lifeless castle menus of IV.

I get that IV was supposed to feel dream-like (because it kind of was OOPS SPOILERS) and all that jazz but it just felt stilted and boring and I rarely (basically never) actually felt like I wanted to knonw more about SMT IVs world or have a conversation with its inhabitants!

The only time I felt compelled to ((do more)) was inside dungeons and during battles and stuff... basically the parts that IV-Apocalyse reiterated upon and improved!

They topped it off by scrapping the boring life-less dream world of IV and gave it a better realized new scenario and gave the player more interesting events and NPCs to interact with on top of the improved game play which for all intents and purposes has resulted in compmletely overshadowing SMT IV and basically rendered SMT IV an obsolete entry.

TLDR SMT IV-Apocalypse is so much better than the boring SMT IV that it actually manages to outright kill SMT IV because it doesnt require previous knowledge to be enjoyed so all future convos about SMT IV will go like this:

Yo should I play SMT IV bro

NO SKIP IT AND PLAY APOCALYPSE

Viata

Arcane
So, I just did everything before the final battle against
Krishna
(Twisted Tokyo, side-quests and whatnot, only thing missing is getting all those demons in special fusion). Way better than SMT IV, as aweigh said above. The plot is pure fanfic level, but hey, I liked the idea of a godslayer and whatnot(I liked mostly because it's not just God vs Lucifer here).
Clearly, the better choice is creating a new universe.

However, I really think this is the easiest MegaTen in the series, not even Persona 3/4 and Soul Hackers could be this easy.
I'm pretty much one room before final boss and I have not died a single time so far, I don't even know how much I would have to pay to Charon to bring me back at this point. And thank god I have not died because holy shit SMT IV had the longest game over screen ever.
The addictional effect of some skills on smirk status are fucking broken, most of the time. The assist gauge makes most battle easier, even so if you select the option that increase the gauge during some dialogue against boss(they are fucking easily to see which on increase/decrease/does nothing).

There are some gameplay changes that I liked though:
Some spells would cost less mp and deal more damage if a demon is specialize in that, the demon may restart a previous negotiation, I can now see the expect price of the relics as I go collecting them, there is a red flag telling me where to go[this is good and bad, it makes the game fucking easier but it makes me not get stuck like SMTIV for not being able to see all the fucking map in that fucking labyrinthine city], being able to change my partners and an icon to tell me if I already have that demon on Compendium.

Overall, it's way better than SMT IV and it gave me a good feeling on SMT V being good.

duanth123

Arcane
So, I just did everything before the final battle against
Krishna
(Twisted Tokyo, side-quests and whatnot, only thing missing is getting all those demons in special fusion). Way better than SMT IV, as aweigh said above. The plot is pure fanfic level, but hey, I liked the idea of a godslayer and whatnot(I liked mostly because it's not just God vs Lucifer here).
Clearly, the better choice is creating a new universe.

However, I really think this is the easiest MegaTen in the series, not even Persona 3/4 and Soul Hackers could be this easy.
I'm pretty much one room before final boss and I have not died a single time so far, I don't even know how much I would have to pay to Charon to bring me back at this point. And thank god I have not died because holy shit SMT IV had the longest game over screen ever.
The addictional effect of some skills on smirk status are fucking broken, most of the time. The assist gauge makes most battle easier, even so if you select the option that increase the gauge during some dialogue against boss(they are fucking easily to see which on increase/decrease/does nothing).

There are some gameplay changes that I liked though:
Some spells would cost less mp and deal more damage if a demon is specialize in that, the demon may restart a previous negotiation, I can now see the expect price of the relics as I go collecting them, there is a red flag telling me where to go[this is good and bad, it makes the game fucking easier but it makes me not get stuck like SMTIV for not being able to see all the fucking map in that fucking labyrinthine city], being able to change my partners and an icon to tell me if I already have that demon on Compendium.

Overall, it's way better than SMT IV and it gave me a good feeling on SMT V being good.

SMTIV: A is leagues harder than SMT:IV on Apocalypse difficulty.

The first major boss,
, requires an extremely specific demon party just to survive, much less trounce.

And the final boss,
YHVH
, borders on RNG prayer if you go the Anarchy route.

Viata

Arcane
Really? The first boss to kill me was
Vishnu-Flynn
. One-hit kill on Nanashi and sweet gameover.
Then again, I was pretty much on a higher level than the demons on each dungeon I visited, so that may be the reason.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I concur. Doesn't matter how improved are the battle system mechanics when the plot, storytelling and some retarded stuff(jade dagger minigame) try too hard to deter from playing. It's so inane that I've lost any drive to pick it up and keep on my current progress.

Yet, perhaps, the most irksome thing is how both SMT IV and Apocalypse handle a demon's mythological or philosophical background. Dagba is a glaring example of it.

ZKtBbbS.jpg

Shit like this kinda miss the point of what is a mythological being's wisdom should convey, which is on the philosophical notions end about a being ancient enough to provide insightful advice to mortals and not about know-hows in regards of fixing electronic devices , being derisive towards your friends or start a deity's killing spree. I really can't tell what are Dagba's true motivations but I bet It must be something as shallow as the rest of writing I found so far..

Viata

Arcane
Well, he is the Good God, good as in technical competence and excellence of perfomance, so fixing a phone should be a walk in the park for him.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
We've gone peak retarded when we're pretending that SMT was ever about the plot and not just the atmosphere and crazy setting. Also SMT4 and Apocalypse form a single plotline and aren't inteded to be looked at as individuals.

Nathir

Liturgist
We've gone peak retarded when we're pretending that SMT was ever about the plot and not just the atmosphere and crazy setting. Also SMT4 and Apocalypse form a single plotline and aren't inteded to be looked at as individuals.

Nobody is pretending. The problem is that the atmosphere in IV and especially Apocalypse sucks. A god like Dagda being your ''confidant'', straight out of Persona is so dumb. The writing and characters are straight from an edgy, shitty VN. Not to mention the games throw in a lot more dialouge than it was customary in previous games, in an attempt to make it even more like a VN. It's kinda hard to ignore the plot, characters and writing when they are so pushed to the forefront.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom