Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shields

So for you blockers, which shield you use and which is best for which char build?

When I tried to play Merc the first times, I noticed that I got killed in the fight with the Thieves' Guild thugs - too much damage from assassin fight, buckler too crap to take the attacks. So I tried cavalry shield and result was sorta better, but still ended the same way. But when I tried Infantry Shield, I was practically invincible against the thugs and the assassin. Since then I pretty much stuck with it, crafting better versions as soon as I could. DR is great, it usually makes ranged attackers harmless or petty annoyances, etc.

From what I saw of shields:
- Buckler seems to be a highly-agile character thing - for dagger assassins, one-handed crossbowmen, throwners and such. Seems like if you don't have high block skill, you might as well get something bigger or go with Dodge.
- Cavalry shields seem to be for somewhat-agile people who still need accuracy, or low-skill hybrid fighters. Very balanced.
- Infantry Shield seems to be for the heavily armored blocker who is willing to swallow a hurtful penalty in exchange for greater protection. I have been in love with it for a while because of its "fuck archers" ranged bonus.
- Tower Shield is... uh, I don't know actually. The THC bonus seems too step for early on, and I'm still thinking if its worth using it at the end or just sticking to my 10 Craft Infantry Shield. Seems like something you use if you're expecting a rain of deadly arrows. Seems like it would be just The Thing for these hypothetical low-DEX super heavily-armored juggernault characters, if those were viable that is.

Are shields different in Bash or are they all equal?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not sure about bash, but I mostly stuck to the infantry shield with my heavily armoured axe user. The penalty was fairly meaningless late game with a maxed out axe skill.

Cavalry shield was good for early game whilst my weapon skills were lower.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't heavier shields have a higher bash THC?

Anyways, it kind of depends on the fight. Especially in a fight with enemy archers, you'll want an infantry or tower shield for that sweet vs ranged. If you're only fighting some hard to hit dodgy motherfuckers, a buckler can be pretty good. Cavalry is a good all rounder.

Either way about halfway through Maadoran I usually switch full time to infantry shield. By this point either your crafting is high enough that you can make one without bad penalties, or if you're not a crafter you get a very good one from one of the dudes in the arena.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yep, the unique 11DR infantry shield from Maadoran is The One in many cases.

Saduj

Arcane
I usually go with cavalry shield but its mostly due to my fear of over spending on combat skills and getting stuck on some skill check later on. Causes me to go into a lot of fights with lower weapons skill than I should probably have.

Mystary!

Arcane
Yep, the unique 11DR infantry shield from Maadoran is The One in many cases.
Which one? The" Impenetrable" you get from the shield trader is only 8DR. Normal non-unique masterwork infantry is 11DR thou.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Sorry, I got mixed up. Impenetratable is not that impressive, but I know there's a nice 11DR craft-upgraded infantry shield you pick up in Maadoran, it's actually a loot piece. I'll post when I remember where it's from.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom