Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Adventure Mysteries - ICOM adventures are coming back

trustno1code

Prophet
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Adventure Mysteries

Yep, it's another Kickstarter. Ex-ICOM David Marsh got the rights to the old ICOM adventures (like Shadowgate or Deja Vu), and he's looking into bring them back. They're starting with these FMV Sherlock Holmes games, going back to the uncompressed footage to make the video high quality, and if there's enough funding, they'll do new episodes.

For the minimum 9$ you get all 9 games for PC/Mac DRM-free. That 1889 London Times replica looks pretty cool too.

They don't seem to have any momentum going though. I don't know if the old-school crowd isn't squeezed out already after Double Fine & Wasteland.

MCA
tier2.jpg

It's sad this likely won't come to fruition.

I kind of miss FMV adventures. They were whole different kinds of games unto themselves.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm a huge Holmes fan and I really dig the Frogware games (especially vs. Jack the Ripper and the Cthulhu one). I've read the stories several times and I have watched the Jeremy Brett series a lot.
That said, I'm passing on this. 1) I don't have much left in my gaming fund (what the fuck I never thought this would happen), 2) Not a huge fan of amateur film, 3) I don't really understand how the game will actually play.

9 dollars isn't much though... Hmmmm.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Was about to post this, but looks like I got beaten to the punch. Good find anyway OP. I'm really pumped for this. I love Doyle's stories, and Holmes is my favourite protagonist (then again he is the most fleshed out). Donated $50 because the developer's a super bro. We corresponded through PM a few times and he's really open to suggestions. Prior to this month, I thought the gaming industry was on the decline, but these Kickstarter projects make me feel proud as a gamer.

Zed: supposedly the project's an update of this game. See if you can get hold of it on an abandonware site. I don't think they'll play differently. The key difference behind this project is, like what OP said, an attempt to convert the FMVs frame-by-frame into high-def (and I'm guessing interface improvements too)

drmarsh

Novice
Hi all, thanks for posting about the games. I won't waste your time talking about why I'm making these Sherlock mysteries before my point-and-click ones (you can read that on the kickstarter site) but regardless of what happens on kickstarter, I'm going to move forward with them and then move on to Shadowgate, Deja Vu and designs for sequels that unfortunately never saw the light of day (Damn you executives for making me work on SNES side scrollers!) So, we will see if the campaign gains momentum :)

Zed (funny, I just read World War Z and you are all over that!) these games are certainly not in the hardcore gamer category but I love the genre and they are fun to solve. I'll post an update tomorrow on how they play. I think that's an oversight on my part. Also, I am sick of kickstarters that want their project to fund their company. I want to put out cool games that people can be involved in. There you go. (steps off of soapbox).

Thanks again for this thread!

Dave

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
We really get all the developers to come by the Codex don't we? :D

Thanks for the reply drmarsh. Looking forward to seeing that update - although I guess it's pretty much like what trustno1code and udm wrote. Seems a little simplistic in gameplay perhaps, but the selling point in a game like this, for me, is simply atmosphere and character. Something victorian-era games rarely lack. Good luck with the project. :)

drmarsh

Novice
We really get all the developers to come by the Codex don't we? :D

Thanks for the reply drmarsh. Looking forward to seeing that update - although I guess it's pretty much like what trustno1code and udm wrote. Seems a little simplistic in gameplay perhaps, but the selling point in a game like this, for me, is simply atmosphere and character. Something victorian-era games rarely lack. Good luck with the project. :)

Zed, correct, the gameplay is pretty straightforward. However, if you like mysteries you get 9 of them so that's cool. I'll post how the game works and if it's up your alley, then great. If not, thanks for the well wishes!

Dave

udm

Arcane
Patron
They don't seem to have any momentum going though. I don't know if the old-school crowd isn't squeezed out already after Double Fine & Wasteland.

I set aside $50 to back the project. I'm all for supporting underdogs who are starting to wrest control from publishers, and making games I like, though it also likely means I won't be able to financially back NMA and RPGCodex's bar/statue/multi-headed dick.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The codex statue has already been funded ;)

9 dollars is less than a dinner. I'll back this in a few days.
This thing with Kickstarter. It feels like throwing out hooks. In a year or so you'll be able to start reeling in your rewards. Makes for an interesting game year 2013.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shadowgate, Deja Vu and designs for sequels that unfortunately never saw the light of day

This, please. I'd give at least $50 for any of that, and I hope you do it even if this particular Kickstarter doesn't pan out!

udm

Arcane
Patron
Apparently David's already sent out some emails to RPS and other related sites, but I'm not seeing any of them appear there at all. The donation numbers aren't even gaining traction. I'm going to be so disappointed in humanity if this doesn't take off, because:

a) It's bloody Sherlock Holmes, with none of that steampunk nonsense
b) FMVs

I get that the mainstream journalists will be too lazy to feature this. After all, I wouldn't expect neanderthals to have much of a taste for literature. But if even RPS are too lazy to get off their butts to feature this, well then ...

HUMANITY, I AM DISAPPOINT.

Bros and CB, can we find other sources to plug this project?

Ringhausen

Augur
I do hope they get the funding, their pitch video was good and the high quality FMVs look quite nice.

The game is kinda obscure though so the pledges coming in at a slower pace is to be expected.

drmarsh

Novice
I do hope they get the funding, their pitch video was good and the high quality FMVs look quite nice.

The game is kinda obscure though so the pledges coming in at a slower pace is to be expected.

Fair enough. I just posted an Update that talks about how the game works exactly :)

belated

Augur
Found out about the computer game after playing the board game a bit and came across the DOS version somewhere (took some searching). Works fine in DOSBOX. The whole newspaper thing is much clunkier in the computer version than in the boardgame of course, but the FMV are great. Definitely joing in on this one.

trustno1code

Prophet
Apparently David's already sent out some emails to RPS and other related sites, but I'm not seeing any of them appear there at all. The donation numbers aren't even gaining traction. I'm going to be so disappointed in humanity if this doesn't take off, because:

b) FMVs

I get that the mainstream journalists will be too lazy to feature this. After all, I wouldn't expect neanderthals to have much of a taste for literature. But if even RPS are too lazy to get off their butts to feature this, well then ...

Someone with a Twatter account or something should just go and bug them about this..

udm

Arcane
Patron

b) FMVs

Someone with a Twatter account or something should just go and bug them about this..

I'll drop them a tweet.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Well, I'm a backer now.
It's a damn shame it doesn't seem to really be taking off though. I read the update on how the game plays (much appreciated) and I really like the sound of it.

trustno1code

Prophet
Kotaku had a bunch of articles on Kickstarter lately I think, plus this is on the front page at the moment...
I tried the e-mail route as well, bu I guess it would take Dave shoving a pipe down their throat to notice. Wonder if Tex Murphy will get more coverage (scratch that, it already has).

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm spreading the word on the SA Games forum, but so far it doesn't seem to be working. Most people just go "haha FMV", and that's it.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Posted on RPS's forums. I hope it gets some attention from the writers there, because I dropped them (and many others) a tweet 2 days ago and it had sod all effect.

trustno1code

Prophet
Tex Murphy popped up everywhere hours after the announcement, yet this can't get any mention? I guess Tex is still a well known brand (?), but come on, "Sherlock Holmes" isn't?
Even AdventureGamers didn't feature this as a news item...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom