Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shenmue 3

Lemming42

Arcane
Corey Marshall is back:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1280725

If you have like $1k to spare you can get him to say a special message for you.
Hello Everyone!

Just in! Corey Marshall, the actor who did the English voice acting for the main character Ryo in Shenmue 1 & 2, is now confirmed for Shenmue 3!

The support for Mr. Marshall to reprise his role as Ryo has been just overwhelming!

We would all like to thank Corey-san for coming back, and especially for all the support he has given to Shenmue over the years.

Corey is as excited for Shenmue's return as we all are, and to help out, he has magnanimously offered his voice for a special reward. Yes, that's right--get a personal message from Ryo! Do not miss this opportunity to get a very special message from Ryo himself. Maybe one those classic Ryo one-liners?

The $1,000 Reward for the Corey Marshall as Ryo Voice Message will include the $500 Reward. The Ryo Voice Message will also be included in the Rewards for $2,000 and up

I'm inordinately happy to hear this.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's very good you're happy about this, because Corey Marshall failed to convey any emotion throughout both games.

Lemming42

Arcane
It's very good you're happy about this, because Corey Marshall failed to convey any emotion throughout both games.

That's what made him so great.

I think he did a good job, actually, the monotone under-reactions to everything fit the character. It's probably just a case of playing the dubs first, but I seriously can't imagine the game without him.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I can, since I played the Dreamcast version of Shenmue 2 that had the voice over in japanese.
To be honest, the tone of it was not much different than from Corey Marshall's take, but at least the fact I couldn't understand the language made it sound like it was better. Benefit of the doubt or something.

One sure thinig, however, is that the NPCs acting in Shenmue 1 were already much much worse than Ryo's. Goro comes to mind. From what I read, part of the problem was that the lipsync was hard coded into the game, and english being a much more concise language than japanese they had to drag all the sentences making it sound ultra retarded.

Yes, now that I think about it, it's the word. Everyone in Shenmue 1 sounded retarded.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So Shenmue is a game about a guy looking to find sailors in a bar? This would TOTALLY would be the game for me.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I remember Shenmue II vaguely as this game that gave the illusion of being big but was actually quite limited. I can't imagine people wanting this in 2015 but I guess its one of those nostalgia thingies. People are getting mad that Sony is playing the Kickstarter hand to guage interest and only asking for 2mil from fans and will fund the rest?? Im amazed they even blinked at it to begin with.

Last edited:

Love

Cipher
So Shenmue is a game about a guy looking to find sailors in a bar? This would TOTALLY would be the game for me.

querelle-04.jpg

Barbarian

Arcane
I'm glad it is being done. The game was released when I was 11 and I had lots of fun with it. It was a like a videogame version of the old martial arts action movies that I constantly watched as a kid. The lousy acting and rambling script only added to that I think. I replayed it a few years back and still found it very entertaining, though I must admit that nostalgia and humor played a big part in that.

I hope they keep the tone of the originals though, because the whole "magical flying sword" scene at the end of the second game is a cause for concern. I also doubt that the small chinese cities where the sequel will be set will be more interesting than Hong King and Kowloon. Man those places were fun to explore.

when i was young i thought shenmue was unbelievable because it contained a whole town which could be explored down to every single drawer.
you know, like a smaller morrowind.

Delbaeth

Learned
I was a Saturn fanboy back then, and I didn't like the path Sega chose with the Dreamcast. Even though I played a little Shenmue on buddies' DC and it was really impressive at the time, it wasn't a system seller for me, it wasn't enough to erase the hatred I had for DC (although I didn't hate it as much as 32X). It was after Sega retired from manufacturers, that I bought a DC and finally completed the game. So I wasn't hyped for Shenmue III all these years/decade, but I am interested to see where it is going on.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Given that Shenmue is supposed to be a "cinematic" series I'm not too surprised they could use a bit more money.

Plus, having taken a look at the article, that quote was definitely taken out of the context.

Machocruz

Arcane
So was this game really groundbreaking, or were there PC games that were already doing things this game was lauded for? Besides QTEs, because those are shit.

the game itself was a bit crap. the awesomeness came from the unbelievable detail of its world. something which now we take for granted since morrowind.

Higher Animal

Arcane
So was this game really groundbreaking, or were there PC games that were already doing things this game was lauded for? Besides QTEs, because those are shit.

Depends on how you define "groundbreaking". Plenty of open world action type games existed at the same time that Shenmue did. There were even more adventure games with cyoa and modern elements.

Shenmue was unique because it was eccentric. It was a true "fighting game rpg" because combat in the game was very move and intuition focused. Each battle played out like Virtua Fighter meets Streets of Rage. But, many advanced level moves had to be acquired through quests (some optional) which you then had to practice and implement at the right time. It is the least poppa-mole open world game you'll find because of this reason. (fights were only easy in the games because of Ryo's HP bloat, if HP was even it would probably be the most difficult action rpg ever made)

Also, Shenmue was an adventure game foremost. You had to remember dates, details, and names and perform tasks to advance your quest. There was a barebones journal and maps you had to find in the world in order to figure out where to go. Each NPC had a unique look and dialogue that fit into the setting. Shenmue's homogenous, small town asian population is more diverse and interesting than Skyrim's cookie cutter barbie models and anything Ubisoft has ever published.

Throw in Japanese/Chinese 80's sociology, C&C, time-based quests, perma-fail sidequests with mainquest continuation and you have an eclectic pot of gaming goodness.

Barbarian

Arcane
Shenmue was unique because it was eccentric. It was a true "fighting game rpg" because combat in the game was very move and intuition focused. Each battle played out like Virtua Fighter meets Streets of Rage. But, many advanced level moves had to be acquired through quests (some optional) which you then had to practice and implement at the right time. It is the least poppa-mole open world game you'll find because of this reason. (fights were only easy in the games because of Ryo's HP bloat, if HP was even it would probably be the most difficult action rpg ever made)

Also, Shenmue was an adventure game foremost. You had to remember dates, details, and names and perform tasks to advance your quest. There was a barebones journal and maps you had to find in the world in order to figure out where to go. Each NPC had a unique look and dialogue that fit into the setting. Shenmue's homogenous, small town asian population is more diverse and interesting than Skyrim's cookie cutter barbie models and anything Ubisoft has ever published.

Throw in Japanese/Chinese 80's sociology, C&C, time-based quests, perma-fail sidequests with mainquest continuation and you have an eclectic pot of gaming goodness.

This is pretty much exactly what made the game special for me. It nailed the feel of old martial arts movies perfecty too.

One thing you guys are not mentioning was that one of the the main reasons the game failed is that the firt hours of the first game were incredibly boring. I mean, I enjoyed exploring the city and I guess most fans of the game did, but the fact that you spent 4 or 5 hours doing nothing but playing mini-games and asking random people inane questions was a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

If the script had enough action since the start in order to keep add kids interested it would have probably been a huge hit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol, this is so lame: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-backers-denied-kickstarter-exclusive-rewards

Shenmue 3 PayPal backers denied Kickstarter-exclusive reward options "as originally promised"
Despite community voting in favour of them.

Towards the end of last year Shenmue 3 developer Ys Net created a poll asking Kickstarter Backers whether they were in favour of PayPal backers receiving the same exclusive rewards as those who backed the original Kickstarter campaign. A majority of users voted in favour of these latecomers receiving the same offers, but the developer still chose to rescind its offer to make these exclusive rewards available once again.

Of the 68,533 Kickstarter backers 15,110 responded to the poll. The breakdown came to 30.9 per cent in favour of making the Kickstarter-exclusive rewards available to PayPal Slacker Backers. 26.5 per cent said these exclusive rewards should stay exclusive. And 42.6 per cent said they were fine either way.

It's a strange poll as the final option is inconclusive. If you look at just "Yes, please make the Kickstarter exclusive rewards available on Paypal" or "No, Kickstarter exclusive rewards are for Kickstarter only", then more were in favour of the rewards becoming available again. But when you factor in the "Either is fine with me" option, it arguably gives the developer the deciding call, which it took to deny PayPal backers.

"Considering the strong response from those of you who felt that the Exclusive Rewards should remain exclusive for the Kickstarter, those Exclusive Rewards will not be made available on the PayPal page as originally promised," the developer stated in a Kickstarter update.

It's worth noting that those who pledged on PayPal are still getting the rewards for whatever tier they paid for. It's merely the Kickstarter-exclusive rewards like getting your face put in the game, or receiving a voice message from Ryo voice-actor Corey Marshall staying in character, that aren't going to be offered to Slacker Backers.

The Slacker Backer PayPal campaign has raised $201,742 thus far, bringing the game's crowdfunded total from $6,333,295 on Kickstarter to $6,535,037 overall.

Shenmue 3 is the highest grossing video game in Kickstarter history, though director Yu Suzuki could do with a bit more money to realise his dream game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom