Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shenmue 3

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/

https://shenmue.link

https://af.gog.com/game/shenmue_iii?as=1649904300
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/shenmue-3/home

a334ff6efce9544716dc6093d9740356_original.jpg

Shenmue 3 is the true sequel to the classic open world action RPG games, Shenmue and Shenmue 2. Created for modern platforms (PC and PlayStation 4) and built in Unreal 4, Shenmue 3 will continue the legacy of Shenmue.

With your help, we can #SaveShenmue and rejoin Ryo and our favorite characters on this new adventure!

942936391c79b3d63a33c350a8add2bb_original.jpg

All images on the Kickstarter page are a work in progress.
  • Shenmue 3 will have familiar elements from its predecessors and new fight mechanics to achieve a new level of interactive storytelling.
  • If this project reaches its funding goal, Shenmue 3 will be available on the PS4 and PC.
  • Our ambition is to deliver a Shenmue experience that will draw in newcomers to the series and reward diehard fans with its deep story and rich gameplay.
2acbc3399e9e09a2ec2ce2b16558f3bf_original.jpg

Where we left off... Ryo Hazuki has made his way to China in search of his father’s killer. There he meets a new travelling companion, Shenhua, and learns of a legend from her village that has foretold their path together.

The story continues as Ryo and Shenhua start off on a new journey that will take them farther into enemy territory, deeper into mystery, and ever closer to their destiny.

Will the mystery of the mirrors be revealed? How is Ryo’s father connected to all of this? Will Ryo track down the Chi You Men cartel and face Lan Di in a final showdown?

d162b9aa87b3c458a27d27ed49444b9a_original.jpg

Since the release of Shenmue 2, now 14 years ago, I have been greeted by the passionate outpouring of dedicated fans and Shenmue community members wherever I go. They all want to know one thing: "When will Shenmue 3 be coming out?" With the advent of games using Kickstarter during these past few years, the new and now frequent demand from the fans has been, “Do a Kickstarter for Shenmue 3!”

If Shenmue 3 was going to get made, I wanted to make it with the fans. Through Kickstarter, I knew that could happen. Together, with Shenmue fans everywhere, I knew we could build the game that the series deserves.

52145d62ac7725ea2c9cba21d3a1d8a7_original.jpg

If we do not reach our funding goal, Shenmue 3 will not go forward. I know that the goal of making Shenmue 3 with the fans, and seeing Shenmue in the hands of gamers all around the world is a lofty one. We are balancing our ambitions for a grand sequel with the pragmatic realities of developing a game of this scale. It will not be easy, but I have dreamed of making this sequel for 14 years – it is time to bring Shenmue back! And to make it come true, it will need the love and support from each and every one of you!

So please join us in making Shenmue 3 – let us grow our community and build a new, exciting Shenmue experience!

Last edited by a moderator:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This is a disgusting practice and it should not be encouraged.

I backed instantly too.

Last edited:

Lucky

Arcane
No way that Sony’s hyping this without getting a fat slice of that money pie. I’m guessing that they’re using Ys Net as a way to gauge interest for a game that they were planning on funding anyway, while also testing the reaction of the kickstarter crowd. It’s not like Sony cares that this goes against the whole ideal of crowdfunding. Once they see how much you can gouge nostalgic fans, I’ll expect to see a lot more of these projects. It’s like an even more milkable form of pre-ordering, with less risk, even less accountability, way more money upfront and no need to even bribe reviewers. They knew it too, considering the 2 million price tag and the stretch goals already reaching up to 4 million.

This kickstarter really should just crash and burn before it sets a precedent. Igarashi was pushing it already, but this is just too blatant. That’s not happening unless Ys Net turns out to be a Yakuza white-washing operation and forces Kickstarter to step in.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I don't think it's really as much about money, directly at least considering $2 million is probably chump change to these people, as much as it is probably about gauging the interest of Shenmue in this day and age. From what I remember first two weren't exactly financial successes, even if they did become cult classics.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Wait, what? Big corporations can go to Kickstarter too this days? Fuck off, this whole thing was set up to keep these fuckers out. Why in the fucking world would I give my money to people I know have more than enough to make the bloody thing.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Lol, someone actually bought the $10,000 jacket. I hope the size is right.

Wait, what? Big corporations can go to Kickstarter too this days? Fuck off, this whole thing was set up to keep these fuckers out. Why in the fucking world would I give my money to people I know have more than enough to make the bloody thing.

"SEGA has officially given us the rights to use the "Shenmue" license."

Doesn't sound like a big corporation to me. Shenmue has always been more of a cult classic than a corporate asset.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Haba
Ah, I get it now. Before I thought that Sony and Sega are making Shenmue 4 and using Kickstarter to get more money. Now it seems that Sega just gave the license, and Sony just used them to give PS4 more buzz. At least I hope so, because I still think that people are getting fucked somehow.

ZoddGuts

Augur
You think they aren't already funding this? This isn't coming to other consoles for a reason.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Wait, what? Big corporations can go to Kickstarter too this days?
I have news for you, they already did, ususlly by stealth because when they did it openly their projects failed.
Look forward to Microsoft & Rare kickstarting a Battletoads sequel next E3, for just 3 million dollars!
M$ already did this with Shadowrun, we still don't know what the deal is bettween them and Harebrained Schemes.

Lucky

Arcane
I have news for you, they already did, ususlly by stealth because when they did it openly their projects failed.

M$ already did this with Shadowrun, we still don't know what the deal is bettween them and Harebrained Schemes.

Yeah, but the scale of the project coupled with a publisher of this size outright marketing it at an event like the E3, is a new development. It's an attempt to further normalise publishers being involved in kickstarters, rather than just the actual creators.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Doesn't sound like a big corporation to me. Shenmue has always been more of a cult classic than a corporate asset.
SEGA hyped Shenmue pretty big back when Dreamcast was released and the dinosaurs walked the earth. It's more accurate to say that Shenmue is a cult classic and failed corporate asset.

I wonder if they're going to bungle this up by not actually re-releasing the games on Steam or some shit, since NOBODY who didn't own a Dreamcast has played Shenmue, and most of today's gaming audience doesn't even know what a Dreamcast is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom