Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wadjet Eye Shardlight by Wadjet Eye Games

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just bought this and I have a question. I'm jumping rope with the girls and the main character sings a couple of songs. It sounds like the songs she is singing is cut off? Is my version censored or something? Can't find any info on it. Just surprised me, like in one rhyme it sounded like the next word would be "ass" but it was cut out and I just got a some weird audio crackling.

DaveGilbert

Wadjet Eye Games
Developer
That's the joke. :) The song is based on a children's rhyme called "Miss Suzie."

Dunno about the audio crackling. I checked the file and it sounds fine to me. Does it happen every time the song plays?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's the joke. :) The song is based on a children's rhyme called "Miss Suzie."

Dunno about the audio crackling. I checked the file and it sounds fine to me. Does it happen every time the song plays?

Aha, I see. I have never heard those songs before, so maybe it went over my head. I'm gonna check if it crackles and thanks for the answer!

Very interesting game so far. Setting is really nice.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
I liked it better when DaveGilbert's avatar was
Dave_G.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Just finished the game. I liked it. The main character was really enjoyable, I liked her voice-acting. I tried the children songs again, and it does crackle when those specific words are cut out. Don't know if it's a problem on my end.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played this recently and feel like I should say something.

I agree with Darth Roxor(!) - this is not a good game. It's amateurish and low budget. Also somebody really really liked Dishonored lol.

However, coming to it right after Technobabylon, I appreciated certain elements of its design. The economical script that introduces the setting and a likable cast of characters (Gus and his pop, poor Denby, etc) without excessive verbiage. A story that establishes its stakes quickly and opens up the world immediately, making it seem bigger than it actually is (which is good). Going from the post-apocalyptic nuclear reactor straight to Tiberius' tower at the beginning felt wonderfully weird (although that feeling doesn't last). And yes, Amy Wellard's hushed tone was lovely to listen to.

So yeah, I don't know. I have a feeling this game's designer isn't the best, but he has some talents. Maybe he could contribute in a partnership with somebody else.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
You should check out A Golden Wake. It has the novelty of being a WEG title that isn't fantastical, and I always think it's neat when a game evokes a specific time and place (like Gabriel Knight did). Same guy made both.

Don Peste

Arcane
I was going to say Shardlight and A Golden Wake are the most disappointing games Wadjet Eye has. And same guy made both...

Sizzle

Arcane
Really disliked A Golden Wake. Didn't care for the main character, most of the puzzles, and it's a game that has a mafioso unironically using the phrase "Horsefeathers!" instead of swearing.

Boleskine

Arcane
A Golden Wake was decent. Puzzles were fairly easy and the story wasn't as intriguing as Wadjet's post-apocalyptic/dystopia/sci-fi themed games, but it's worth playing if someone enjoys other Wadjet games.

I haven't played Shardlight yet but Francisco's next game Lamplight City looks good.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So yeah, I don't know. I have a feeling this game's designer isn't the best, but he has some talents. Maybe he could contribute in a partnership with somebody else.
Grundislav is an odd one. He seems to be a rare example of someone actually getting worse at what they do with more experience. I actually really liked the early Ben Jordan games (particularly #3), but that series got worse with each subsequent entry after that, and his commercial efforts have been lackluster. Not sure what happened there.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I was going to say Shardlight and A Golden Wake are the most disappointing games Wadjet Eye has. And same guy made both...
90% of Shardlight's reviews are positive on Steam, so I think it's very well-liked by most of its players. I think it's the most Primordia-like fo WEG's games -- not sure if that was by design or coincidence, but there seems to be some overlap among people who like them. A Golden Wake is a little more divisive (72%), but that's probably because it's the only WEG title that didn't have a dedicated artist -- aesthetically it is not quite as sharp as some of the other titles. Other than Gemini Rue (89%), all of WEG's titles are in the 90s, so really "the most disappointing games Wadjet Eye has" are still well received.

I haven't played Ben Jordan, but if what Aeschylus says is right, I'd offer two explanations: (1) it is not uncommon that a creator's first (or, in any case, early) work is his best because that represents the creative product of all his life until that date, while whatever comes next has steeped for a much shorter time; (2) it is also not uncommon that an amateur creator has a first "raw" work that has an emotional vitality but a rough form, and then he starts studying form and for several iterations does something that seems worse because he's learning a new method of expression. It's like when you take someone who is physically gifted and fairly experienced but has bad form in a sport, and force them to use good form: initially, quality seems to plummet, but where it had plateaued before, now it has a steady upward slope. Shardlight obviously received great accolades in comparison to A Golden Wake, so if the trend holds, Lamplight City will be a really great work that combines the "raw" talent of the early Ben Jordans with the polished form he's developed since.

But maybe that's just rosy optimism. Who knows?

Don Peste

Arcane
90% of Shardlight's reviews are positive on Steam
Bioshock Infinite has 95%.
King's Quest 88% positive, Broken Age 81%, Life is Strange 96%, The Walking Dead 3 78%...

90% of Shardlight's reviews are positive on Steam, so I think it's very well-liked by most of its players. I think it's the most Primordia-like fo WEG's games -- not sure if that was by design or coincidence, but there seems to be some overlap among people who like them. A Golden Wake is a little more divisive (72%), but that's probably because it's the only WEG title that didn't have a dedicated artist -- aesthetically it is not quite as sharp as some of the other titles. Other than Gemini Rue (89%), all of WEG's titles are in the 90s, so really "the most disappointing games Wadjet Eye has" are still well received.
It's fine that they were well received. I want WEG to publish a lot of classic adventure games. I love Blackwell and Primordia, and The Shivah. I'm looking forward to see Unavowed. But I dislike A Golden Wake and Shardlight. I think they are even worse than The Secret of Monkey Island! ;)
And I'm glad there are (just a few) other insane fans who agree with me. I'm not alone!

But I wish other indie adventure games I love would receive as much attention. Like The Slaughter: Act One, made by just one guy who now has to work on a completely different game (probably a casual game, but I don't know) to help fund Act Two and Three.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Thanks, The Slaughter looks cool, and this music from the trailer... Does it contain nice puzzles or is it narrative-focused?

Boleskine

Arcane
Thanks, The Slaughter looks cool, and this music from the trailer... Does it contain nice puzzles or is it narrative-focused?

It has puzzles, but they're not too complicated (you still have to think, though). The game is fairly linear but you get to explore a few different locations at any time. The story is good, and the dialogue is pretty funny, too. Overall The Slaughter is one of the better indie point and clicks to come out recently.

Don Peste

Arcane

It has puzzles, but they're not too complicated. The game is fairly linear but you get to explore a few different locations at any time. It's pretty funny, too.
Yep, nothing really challenging. Its strongest parts are the characters, the dialogues, and the setting.
Here's the OST: https://brainchildstudio.bandcamp.com/album/the-slaughter-act-one-soundtrack (2. and 5. are my favourites)

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
So, I've just finished Shardlight.

It's ok. Just ok. Absurdly short, took me around 5 hours to finish (two evenings). Didn't have to consult any walkthrough, since most of the "puzzles" required me to shoot something with my crossbow. Every other solution to problems was being handed to me pretty blatantly. The story and its flow were too obvious not to predict how it will all play out, but the environments and the background music are really nice. Still, skyrocketing finale from a dead man to literally a new dictator from no reason left an unsavory aftertaste in my mouth. 5/10. Even if I enjoyed it a lot, it's just the worst game from Wadjet Eye I've played thus far.

ps. Bloopers from the bonus content are funny, though.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Thought the ending when you let crazy live and remain as the leader was the best. Taking over felt a bit... forced.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom