Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadows: Awakening - sequel to Heretic Kingdoms

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
https://www.kalypsomedia.com/us/shadows-awakening

https://af.gog.com/game/shadows_awakening?as=1649904300

Huh, so the second part is coming out with a re-release. Owners of the first part will get the re-release for free too.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/585450/announcements/detail/2245462127614861216

Return to the Heretic Kingdoms! Shadows: Awakening announced!
17 AUGUST, 2017 - UNERDE

New tactical action RPG coming to PC, PlayStation®4 and Xbox One, set for full debut at Gamescom 2017

Following on from the teaser released last week, Kalypso Media is excited to announce Shadows: Awakening, a new action RPG with real-time tactical combat that heralds the return of the Heretic Kingdoms saga. In this dark fantasy adventure, players will assume control of the Devourer – a feared demon summoned from the world of Shadow that possesses the ability to absorb the memories and personalities of acquired souls and materialize them as their puppets in the world of mortals. By combining the powers and abilities of these vanquished warriors, players will embark on a vast 40+ hour adventure across two very different worlds, engaging in action-packed real-time tactical combat, as well as tackling challenging puzzles, collecting valuable loot and equipment, and completing a wide variety of quests. But be warned – consuming so many powerful souls has a cost – such strong personalities cannot easily be supressed, and players will have to manage the relationships with the voices in their head as they struggle to maintain their identity.

Shadows: Awakening heralds the continuation of the Heretic Kingdoms saga, last seen in Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms. Long-time fans and legacy players of the PC version will remember that the long-awaited ‘Book 2’ sequel never materialized. Kalypso Media and Games Farm are therefore excited to reveal that Shadows: Awakening will not only bring the story of ‘Book 2’ to life, but will also combine it with the original storyline, making Shadows: Awakening not a sequel, but a full and completed experience; improved and re-worked to take full advantage of today’s console and PC technology. Additionally, owners of the original Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms will no doubt remember that they were promised ‘Book 2’ free of charge. Kalypso Media and Games Farm are happy to confirm that they will uphold their promise to reward these long-time fans – with all owners of the Steam and GOG versions of Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms eligible to receive Shadows: Awakening as an update to their existing game, completely free of charge.

To celebrate the announcement of Shadows: Awakening, Kalypso Media is pleased to share a full gameplay trailer to give players an idea of what awaits them in the shadows…

1.jpg

YouTube™ Video: Shadows: Awakening Announcement Trailer (EU)
Views: 24,995
Check Out Shadows: Awakening on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/585450 Shadows: Awakening is a unique, isometric single-player RPG with real-time tactical combat.

About Shadows: Awakening
Shadows: Awakening is the new adventure in the Heretic Kingdoms saga. After the members of the secret council known as the Penta Nera are assassinated, their souls are consumed by the Devourers – evil demons which possess the ability to absorb the memories and personalities of the souls they acquire and materialize them as their puppets. Re-emerging into the mortal realm once again, the demonic Penta Nera continue their quest for power and immortality, but at what cost?

Shadows: Awakening is a unique, isometric single-player action RPG with real-time tactical combat. You take control of a demon summoned from the Shadow Realm – the Devourer – to consume the souls of long-dead heroes and embark on an epic adventure with challenging gameplay, a gripping storyline and enchanting graphics. Do you have the focus and wits to master the world of the Heretic Kingdoms? Gather your party, control powerful heroes and use their skills to your advantage. But who is in charge… the demon, or the souls that it has devoured? It's up to you to either thwart a major threat and save the world, or to plunge it into complete disaster…

Features
  • Extensive Gameplay – 40+ hours for a single playthrough, but with substantial options for replayability.
  • Two Worlds – A parallel universe inhabited by ghosts and spirits; seamlessly switch between the Shadow Realm and the mortal plane and witness a gripping storyline in a world full of myths, destinies and legendary creatures.
  • Real-Time Tactical Combat – Combine the skills of your various characters to maximize the effects of your devastating skills and spells.
  • Unique Party System – multiple characters in one demon, each retaining their own personalities. Internal dialogues, rivalries and communication between the characters enriches the gameplay experience and narrative.
  • A plethora of different characters – Choose from 3 heroes, each with their own stories, personal quests and dialogues. Consume the souls of 15 playable characters, each with their own unique skillsets, like Kalig the Bandit King and Evia, Daughter of Fire.
  • Synergy System – The complex talent system intuitively combines skills from your characters to create a variety of new gameplay possibilities.
  • Challenging Puzzles – Challenging puzzles are scattered throughout the game, from the rustic towns to the deepest dungeons.
  • Crafting and Looting System – Expanded crafting and looting system will let you use rewards to configure the ultimate adventurer.
  • Fully Voiced – All dialogues are fully narrated, including actors like Tom Baker.

Shadows: Awakening is currently scheduled for a 2018 release on Windows PC, PlayStation®4 and Xbox One.

93703c586127d629255a9f125627f2c16ca33c7a.jpg

2779a52b8b173963e4a7ea3f997532d0b28bb156.jpg

8d3fc516f1db252c9aee47ae0e3d93e9380a655e.jpg

0e24826f587ced3eecd59f1e85173a070a4f274f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ok does anyone here have more info on this? I just saw it on gog and decided to make a thread. It seems that is something like a sequel(third game?) to KULT Heretic kingdoms,an old not very well known rpg with interesting and unique itemisation/skill system.
Here is a ling to the KULT game if anyone is interested in checking it out:
https://af.gog.com/game/heretic_kingdoms_the_inquisition?as=1649904300

Here is more about the game:

About: “An ancient proverb warns: ‘Never trust a demon, for betrayal is their very blood’. Yet the Sura, the great ogres of the Wastes, have a different saying: ‘A demon honours its pact’. Perhaps when the race of men looks into the eyes of hell, they see their own darkness reflected…” – Carissa Cantrecht
shadows_awakening_v2.jpg

Shadows: Awakening is the new adventure in the Heretic Kingdoms saga. After the members of the secret council known as the Penta Nera are assassinated, their souls are consumed by the Devourers – evil demons which possess the ability to absorb the memories and personalities of the souls they acquire and materialize them as their puppets. Re-emerging into the mortal realm once again, the demonic Penta Nera continue their quest for power and immortality, but at what cost? Shadows: Awakening is a unique, isometric single-player RPG with real-time tactical combat. You take control of a demon summoned from the Shadow Realm – the Devourer – to consume the souls of long-dead heroes and embark on an epic adventure with challenging gameplay, a gripping storyline and enchanting graphics. Do you have the focus and wits to master the world of the Heretic Kingdoms? Gather your party, control powerful heroes and use their skills to your advantage. But who is in charge… the demon, or the souls that it has devoured? It's up to you to either thwart a major threat and save the world, or to plunge it into complete disaster…
shadows_awakening_v3.jpg

Features
  • A Tale of Two Worlds – In a parallel universe inhabited by demons and monsters; seamlessly switch between the Shadow Realm and the mortal plane and witness a gripping storyline in a world full of myths, destinies and legendary creatures.
  • Unique Party System – multiple characters in one demon, each retaining their own personalities with internal dialogues, rivalries and communication between the characters.
  • Wide variety of Skills and Characters – Choose from 3 heroes, each with their own personal storylines, quests and dialogues. Consume the souls of 14 playable characters, each with their own unique skillsets, like Kalig the Bandit King and Evia, Daughter of Fire.
  • Tactical Real-Time Combat – Combine the skills of your various characters to maximize the effects of your devastating skills and spells.
  • Extensive Gameplay – 20+ hours for a single playthrough, but with substantial options for replayability which accumulate to 60+ hours for the full experience.
  • Challenging Puzzles – Complex puzzles are scattered throughout the game, and will take you through a vibrant set of locations, from rustic towns to the deepest and darkest of dungeons.
  • Crafting and Looting System – Expanded crafting and looting system will let you use rewards to configure the ultimate adventurer.
  • Fully Voiced – All dialogues are fully narrated, including actors like Tom Baker.

Source/gog page:
https://af.gog.com/game/shadows_awakening?as=1649904300

It seems promising to be a decent hack and slash game. If it have anything like the first game's itemisation system i will try it out.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The sequel(s) don't use the attunement system, I liked how massively OP main character was at the end of Kult with right constellation of attunements. Everything died by just glancing at it.

Shadows work differently. There aren't attunement mechanics, but we brought different skill system for Shadows.

The rest should be better I believe :) - a lot of things we were not able to do right in Kult, we did right in Shadows. There are still ways to improve the gameplay, but we are working on it...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/256030/discussions/0/412448792354130116/

when you own Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms you receive Shadows: Awakening for free.
Additionally be aware that Shadows: Awakening is not just Book II, but is actually Book I and II in a whole new engine. So it is a whole new game made by GamesFarm.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/256030/discussions/0/3211505894124164263/

I took it as something akin to an expansion for Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms. It reminded me of The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing.

A sequel, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II, was released on 22 May 2014. A second sequel, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing III, was released on 22 May 2015. A remastered version including all three games was released as one big game on November 6, 2015, called The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut.

I'm not really sure I'd call these sequels.

norolim

Arcane
This is not a sequel. It's a complete release of Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms (2014) with additional content. Heretic Kingdoms was just part 1 of the sequel and the original plan was to release part 2 as a free expansion. This never happened, because the publisher, bitcomposer went bankrupt and the franchise was acquired by Kalypso Media. The new owners decided to go ahead with part 2. It was developed by the original studio and everyone owning Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms should already have it in their GOG or Steam library.

Arkast

Novice
I found the beta for this in my Steam library and decided to try it for an hour or so. Seems highly console-ized similar to what the Sacred and Dungeon Siege franchises turned into.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I found the beta for this in my Steam library and decided to try it for an hour or so. Seems highly console-ized similar to what the Sacred and Dungeon Siege franchises turned into.
Does it have side missions and decent writing?

Arkast

Novice
I loaded it up again. Yes, there are side missions as filler, and I guess the writing's passable (I only played through the tutorial area and into the first town area.) But it *is* a console game, designed to be played with a controller. You have three active abilities per character that you can choose to assign to the three buttons (the other's the menu), and use the d-pad to switch between your four possible characters/souls.

Gameplay is your standard Diablo-lite (the game's style pulls heavily from Diablo III) and you need to clear each area at least twice as you switch between the spirit and mortal realms (there are different enemies in both) to solve puzzles and gather information. And there's vases and stuff to break for gear.

I'll be giving this one a hard pass, even when it's eventually reduced to $3.74.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I loaded it up again. Yes, there are side missions as filler, and I guess the writing's passable (I only played through the tutorial area and into the first town area.) But it *is* a console game, designed to be played with a controller. You have three active abilities per character that you can choose to assign to the three buttons (the other's the menu), and use the d-pad to switch between your four possible characters/souls.

Gameplay is your standard Diablo-lite (the game's style pulls heavily from Diablo III) and you need to clear each area at least twice as you switch between the spirit and mortal realms (there are different enemies in both) to solve puzzles and gather information. And there's vases and stuff to break for gear.

I'll be giving this one a hard pass, even when it's eventually reduced to $3.74.
Mate,i scrapping the barrel this days. I am even replaying Dungeon Siege 3...
:negative::negative::negative:

Arkast

Novice
Mate,i scrapping the barrel this days. I am even replaying Dungeon Siege 3...

Well if you enjoyed the previous games in the series, I'm sure this one would be okay too. The base gameplay didn't change *that* much.

Sykar

Arcane
This is not a sequel. It's a complete release of Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms (2014) with additional content. Heretic Kingdoms was just part 1 of the sequel and the original plan was to release part 2 as a free expansion. This never happened, because the publisher, bitcomposer went bankrupt and the franchise was acquired by Kalypso Media. The new owners decided to go ahead with part 2. It was developed by the original studio and everyone owning Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms should already have it in their GOG or Steam library.

Yeah I bought it when it was on a summer sale for like 5 or 10 bucks. Was a fun shallow romp but nothing more but it was over way too fast.

Martyr

Arcane
downloading right now, just to see if the controls have gotten better. Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms had the worst controls I've ever experienced in any isometric game.
oh, and awesome move of the devs to give Shadows: Awakening to the owners of S: HK for free !

Martyr

Arcane
Wait what? I can get it for free? Got to try it to DL it over the weekend.
yes. seems like all the steam-users got Shadows Awakening for free, if they've bought Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms.
but some people on the gog-forum keep saying that you must have bought S:HK before july 2017 to get S:A for free.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
downloading right now, just to see if the controls have gotten better. Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms had the worst controls I've ever experienced in any isometric game.
oh, and awesome move of the devs to give Shadows: Awakening to the owners of S: HK for free !
Control is worse than Viking - Wolves of Midgard? I was amazed (in negative way) how you can fuck up something basic like control scheme in action RPG.

Martyr

Arcane
Control is worse than Viking - Wolves of Midgard? I was amazed (in negative way) how you can fuck up something basic like control scheme in action RPG.
I also found Vikings controls to be amazingly bad, but imo Shadows' controls were worse.
download is finished, installing now. I'll report back, if the controls have been upgraded.

edit -
controls are so much better now !!
I've only played ~ 10 minutes so I don't know if the game is good but I guess it could be an enjoyable time sink.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
This actually looks pretty interesting. Shadows Awakening is basically the first and second part rolled into one improved package, right? Overall, an unfortunate time for them release it seems. I feel like it's going to get majorly overlooked.

Look forward to hearing some impressions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom