Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns Pre-Release Thread

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How can you even put quest compass in the game, when you are making an oldschool cRPG?

What happened? They made this awesome engine, great atmosphere, good combat and dialogue system, and suddenly they said: hey, do you know what is the feature which was never part of old cRPGs, but we should use it anyway? QUESTCOMPASS!

It just doesn't compute! Why are they using it anyway? I doubt the game world be we huge (like "Skyrim huge"), so it won't be hard to explore the places.

How can you even put quest compass in the game, when you are making an oldschool cRPG?

What happened? They made this awesome engine, great atmosphere, good combat and dialogue system, and suddenly they said: hey, do you know what is the feature which was never part of old cRPGs, but we should use it anyway? QUESTCOMPASS!

It just doesn't compute! Why are they using it anyway? I doubt the game world be we huge (like "Skyrim huge"), so it won't be hard to explore the places.

Well, they probably need to cater to their iOS crowd.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

The pc and ios versions are 1:1, with the exception of the editor and the added pc config options, so they catered to the lowest common denominator... and it sucks (especially because you can't turn it off).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The pc and ios versions are 1:1, with the exception of the editor and the added pc config options, so they catered to the lowest common denominator... and it sucks (especially because you can't turn it off).
Hm, I wasn't even aware that there will be an iOS version. That doesn't bode well for the game. Downgraded my anticipation from OMG THIS GAME WILL BE AMAZING to Cautiosly optimistic.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Hopefully a large "hacking" community will rise to try to fix the shortcomings in the game, like the quest compass or the walking speed for example. They have said that mods are not possible, but who knows. Story and quest wise, i expect that itch to be scratched by the editor.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd rather have them use the quest compass only when it makes sense (ie, after the shadowrunner got knowledge of said location). It would be much better to have this be some kind of ingame feature than a magic locator of everything. That said, maybe the runners can locate everything and everyone with google maps 2054

almondblight

Arcane

Be sure to complain about it on the forums, it seems like the developers pay attention.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They never said they were making an "old school cRPG."

Given the time constraints it is easier to just put a marker on the map instead of writing out directions that are subject to change.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
They never said they were making an "old school cRPG."
Even if they didn't said that explicitly, everything shouts oldschool in this game.

Given the time constraints it is easier to just put a marker on the map instead of writing out directions that are subject to change.
They delay the game a few months. I don't care about some delay if I get a quality product in the end.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They delay the game a few months. I don't care about some delay if I get a quality product in the end.
Those few extra months of development will be paid by the devs turning tricks on a street corner somewhere of course.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Even if they didn't said that explicitly, everything shouts oldschool in this game.
Way too much XCOM ENEMY UNKNOWN influence for it to be that. That's a new school turn based game.
Weisman said they've already spent all the Kickstarter money "and more." June is as far as their emergency fund stretches.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Weisman said they've already spent all the Kickstarter money "and more." June is as far as their emergency fund stretches.
Ehh, Ok, I get it. I'm just a little disappointed that it has some popamole features.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ehh, Ok, I get it. I'm just a little disappointed that it has some popamole features.
I actually expected it to be somewhat mediocre, so it keeps pleasantly surprising me at all times. Just the editor alone seems worth the price of admission.

PS you could clearly see the quest compass in the gameplay video. After you get the info from the homeless guy a marker is then put above the Renraku secret lab entrance.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I actually expected it to be somewhat mediocre, so it keeps pleasantly surprising me at all times. Just the editor alone seems worth the price of admission.

PS you could clearly see the quest compass in the gameplay video. After you get the info from the homeless guy a marker is then put above the Renraku secret lab entrance.
Hm, I haven't noticed that. Maybe I have selective vision. Only seeing the good stuff. :)

To be honest, I also expected less from this game, so I was pleasantly surprised as well by the gameplay video. Maybe this is why this quest marker stuff throw me off a little.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The game will be using a Checkpoint Save System, instead of save anytime (which is either FFFFFFUUUUUUUU or YEAH depending on your point of view). I am somewhat OK with this, because it eliminates the LOL I missed my STAT check, RELOAD! We also do not not know how spaced the checkpoints are ( would *assume* there would be a checkpoint at the beginning and end of a run). They also really like the idea of an Ironman mode, but do not have the time to add this at the final release so maybe later.

EDIT: The Unofficial FAQ has been updated here. Note his numbering system that now shows when new answers have been added.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
The game will be using a Checkpoint System, instead of save anytime (which is either FFFFFFUUUUUUUU or YEAH depending on your point of view). I am somewhat OK with this, because it eliminates the LOL I missed my STAT check, RELOAD! We also do not not know how spaced the checkpoints are ( would *assume* there would be a checkpoint at the beginning and end of a run). They also really like the idea of an Ironman mode, but do not have the time to add this at the final release so maybe later.

:x

I HATE checkpoints. Consolitis absolute. Completely destroys the feel. 'oh, game saved, it means something tough is right around the corner'.
Every other system is better: save-anywhere for more comfort. Save between missions for creating a tighter experience (a perfect choice for such a game). Save on exit for some ironman love.

Of course, they could mean checkpoints as in saving before and after missions. That would be perfect.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah I would assume the Checkpoint Saves will be before and after a run. Also if this does sell very well after release a new save anywhere and Ironman mode could possibly be added, so we will have to wait and see.

Also with the editor, you could add more or less of them to your own likes (like making it like the SNES version that (IIRC) you could only save at Jake's Apartment, using the bed).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
A2eZerN.jpg

A small comparison someone did on the forums. Shadowrun Returns (top and bottom). SNES version (middle left, Genesis version middle right).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I actually prefer checkpoints as a measure against save scumming, but i also understand how many people would hate the idea. Save at start of a mission and then it's up to the player to make an effort to finish the mission with his/her team intact.

Gozma

Arcane
Checkpoint is OK if there is also save and quit whenever... but I kinda suspect there won't be, because omitting "save anytime" has cost-savings

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom