Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shadowrun Returns - RELEASED! [Don't talk about Dragonfall here]

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by JudasIscariot, Apr 4, 2012.

1. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
  2. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Only P&P where ammo tracking is both important and "fun", is Twilight 2000 because you will consume fairly large amounts of ammunition AND you have to scavenge for it. As others already stated, as a GM, I only tracked speciality ammunition. Though now with Chummer automating the process to a degree, the next SR campaign I run will probably track all ammo!

It's a shame but having limited ammo isn't that useful by itself. It must be accompanied by an inventory that is limited by size and carrying capacity. Obviously, JA2 1.13 is the clear winner here (beating popamole shit like ARMA2) and while I'd love to see that kind of detail in SR:R - as the P&P rules sort of make it possible - I can live without it. Especially as it seems that tinkering with the game and the editor will allow us to do a lot of stuff.
  3. Roguey Magister

Roguey
    A game where I don't die is too easy.
    Grunker Brofists this.
  4. Dickie Learned

Dickie
    A game that saves before every door is too easy.
  5. Roguey Magister

Roguey
    Nonsense. One could still die a dozen times or more against any given fight or accumulate extreme losses during any given run.
    skuphundaku, Grunker and almondblight Brofist this.
  6. Roguey Magister

Roguey
    And well well look what we have here
    Very Josh. :)
  7. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Like Johs's infinite inventory system? :lol:
  8. winterraptor Savant

winterraptor
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Certain games that have included this are, anyway. 'Final Fantasy' the first fucking thing I think of when I hear 'save points'.
  9. Galdred Learned Patron

Galdred
    Codex 2013
    Ammo cost was negligible in the PnP game if I recall, except for special ammos (assault cannon rounds, APDS, explosive and flechette rounds...), especially compared to the cost of the things you were saving for (Doc Wagon contract, cyberware, magic stuff and vehicles). What made you save ammo was the drastic recoil penalty, which could only be partially offset by carrying heavy and unwieldly gyro stabilizers. Even if any SR GM were counting ammo, it would not have changed anything in the game. That said, I wish the special ammunitions were there.
  10. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    You can only add items at certain locations. Which is what most reasonable people asked for with PE.
    Grunker Brofists this.
  11. Roguey Magister

Roguey
    I don't understand what you mean. From the beginning Josh said his inventory would have things you can use in combat, a limited number of things you can access outside of combat, and an unlimited stash you can only access at rest areas. If this is a "you can't add to the stash except when the DM says so" thing keep in mind that Shadowrun is barely going to have anything to loot and PE is going to be full of a ton of it.
  12. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    More info on the checkpoint Save System:

Will we be able to place checkpoints where we want with the Editor? For example I want to make a module where the only checkpoint is at the players Apartment.

Are the default Checkpoint Saves for the game before and after a run in the default game?

Basically. The default is before and after a "scene" which might be a run or might be a chunk of roleplaying/legwork in a location.​

We'd like to give player-GMs the ability to place checkpoints where they want but it's complicated and will likely not make it into the final release.​

The plan is to have your checkpoints listed on the main menu by character so you can go back to previous checkpoints and reload or play multiple characters without messing with each others' save games.​
  13. hoverdog dog that is hovering

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
    :rage:
    skuphundaku Brofists this.
  14. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    No degenerate save scumming for you! :obviously:
    Grunker and DalekFlay Brofist this.
  15. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Hmm, so the editor at release won't be capable of placing checkpoints? how will that work for player modules?
  16. Wulfstand Scholar

Wulfstand

I don't know if anyone else has posted this, but this guy seems to be one of the main investors in the SR kickstarter, which gladdens me, to be frank; I quite enjoy watching his videos.
    Jaesun, Zeus and Kem0sabe Brofist this.
  17. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Deadline For Upgrading Your Backer Level
    Update #47 · Mar. 22, 2013

As we mentioned on March 8th, even though our Backer website isn't online yet, the volume of email requests asking to upgrade people’s Backer levels convinced Producer Brian to volunteer to process each request by hand. Since then, Brian has received well over 250 upgrade requests and has been busily working to fulfill them.

Because we need to finalize our physical rewards process and get items like t-shirts and USB Dog Tags manufactured and shipped, we need to lock down a deadline for upgrades. Once everything is locked down, we'll let you know when you can expect your physical stuff!

The deadline to upgrade your Backer Level is March 31st, 2013.

If you haven’t upgraded yet but would like to, please send Brian your current Backer status and the level you would like to be upgraded to. He'll coordinate with you about making the appropriate PayPal payment. Also, if you’re an International Backer, this is a great time to check your Kickstarter account to make sure you paid your overseas shipping fee and contact Brian if you haven't. Brian's email address is brian@hbs-studios.com.

While we’re talking about backers and rewards - one of our backers, Erik Dahlman, is running a Kickstarter for Synthesis, a cyberpunk-themed deck of playing cards. Normally, we don’t promote other Kickstarters (spam is not cool) but Erik is donating 10% of Synthesis’ total funds raised to Shadowrun Returns! So, if you like cyberpunk and you play cards, check it out.

Oh, and one more thing - we’ll be posting Mike McCain’s Dev Diary later this afternoon. Mike’s in charge of art around here and will go into detail on how we created the visuals you saw in our Alpha Gameplay Video.

Talk to you later!

HBS
  18. Dickie Learned

Dickie
    I love that the second comment is "How exactly do we reach Brian?" Reading is hard.
    Jaesun Brofists this.
  19. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Can certain speech options be "unlocked" by low ability/skill scores?

For example, a stupid character might say something that only makes things worse, or a low Charisma character might tell a lie unconvincingly, opening a "suspicious" branch that a charming character would naturally avoid.

You betcha.

<3
    almondblight Brofists this.
  20. Excidium P. banal

Excidium
    What does that even mean? Like, why would you even pick those options knowing you'll fail?
  21. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    You can hide skill checks if you want.
  22. Dickie Learned

Dickie
    Yeah, unless you're larping, why are you gonna choose the worse option?

Edit:
    Oh.
  23. Excidium P. banal

Excidium
    Hiding active checks is a whole another level of stupid.
  24. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Also, I would guess you could only provide bad options if you wanted. So the only dialog options relied on charisma, high charisma = good option, low charisma = bad option.
  25. Excidium P. banal

Excidium
    Does the game use rolls for checks or is it a fixed value thing?

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)