Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns Pre-Release Thread

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Shit, I thought you guys were monocle and stuff.

Standard infantryman load for assault rifle is 6-7 magazines weighting 0.75 - 0.45 kg per magazine. Add to that the rest of the gear and you have pretty high weight.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Standard infantryman load for assault rifle is 6-7 magazines weighting 0.75 - 0.45 kg per magazine. Add to that the rest of the gear and you have pretty high weight.

see if I give a shit

The only retardo part of this whole 'argument' is that 'lololo nobody bothers counting bullets in pnp!!!', well, no shit, nobody does when your average lasgun has 60 shots in a clip and said clips cost 20gp. You have the computor to keep track of all your shit in a game, however, so this point is completely moot.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The only retardo part of this whole 'argument' is that 'lololo nobody bothers counting bullets in pnp!!!', well, no shit, nobody does when your average lasgun has 60 shots in a clip and said clips cost 20gp. You have the computor to keep track of all your shit in a game, however, so this point is completely moot.
Yeah, this too. Suddenly the world is full of people who feel horribly inconvenienced by having ammo that is automatically counted by the computer.

LeJosh

Savant
Do the benefits of having weighted ammo really out do the negatives?

Personally I don't think so. Inventory tetris is tedious at best but a necessity in certain RPGs I suppose.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

Personally I don't think so. Inventory tetris is tedious at best but a necessity in certain RPGs I suppose.
What the fuck does this have to do with inventory tetris?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The BAWWing seemed to start when people complained that Pen & Paper tracks bullets while the CRPG doesn't. I thought I'd set the record stright by pointing out that noone - not even the most aspied dumpshock regular - thinks tracking bullets in PnP is worthwhile. Noone uses the mechanic, so the CRPG reflects how the PnP is played in this aspect. We already know Awor cannot fathom this because good lord is he ever rainman material if I ever saw it, but I'm fairly certain most games haven't actually benefitted from clip management. I still have nightmares about unloading all my plasma weapons in UFO: Enemy Unknown near the end of the mission to conserve elerium. Dear god, the tedium.

LeJosh

Savant

What the fuck does this have to do with inventory tetris?

Think a little, if you're going to have numerous ammo types individually weighted, a grid inventory would come hand in hand with that, especially if they had limited stacks, no?

Other than lists or context menus, how else do you manage that?

I just presumed grid was the best, m'bad. ;)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's Torment. No need for any Reddit Q&As here.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/discussion/25197/faq-unofficial#Item_22

If you are interested, some dude went through and collected all the known info posted by the devs in the QA forum and made a FAQ at the link above.

Standard answer... DLC! It will depend on the model they use and the pricing, but the potential for a screwup is high.

Also don't understand how we cannot import portraits, makes no sense from a module design perspective, reserving more portraits for DLC only is messed up.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The ability to add portraits was in the plan, but they had to cut that feature. Same with like duel wielding was planned (and Jordan even planned the system for it) but was cut (I assume because of the heavy art assets required for it for one thing).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The ability to add portraits was in the plan, but they had to cut that feature. Same with like duel wielding was planned (and Jordan even planned the system for it) but was cut (I assume because of the heavy art assets required for it for one thing).

Can't help but think that they cut the portrait feature just to be able to make more money off portrait DLC packs.

On another point, i think i've read somewhere in the last few days that they were adding gore to the game, any idea if that translates into only blood splatters or will there be a "fallout like" level of death animations (gore)? Haven't been following their forums much.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
meh. If the money is going to HBS (and goes directly to them, not a Publisher) to keep making these kinds of game, I'll happily support them.

Cromwell

Arcane
meh. If the money is going to HBS (and goes directly to them, not a Publisher) to keep making these kinds of game, I'll happily support them.

same here. I dont know enough to throw greed rants at them, ut in the end I dont care, what I've seen and read so far is worth my money, I will also buy happily everything they had to cut out, I think the editor alone is worth some dlc moneys

Kem0sabe

Arcane
:decline:

Q: Will there be a city map to determine where to go? Or possibly an objective marker in a hud?
A: We'll use an objective marker on your HUD and a compass pointer too.

Q: Can we have the ability to turn that off?
A: No.

:incline:

Everything they said about the editor...

Editor - Influencing Characters

Q: Will we face some unique magical items/atrifacts, which could grant players some awesome magical abilities?
A: You can create the effects of a magic item/artifact using triggers and give it to a player. It will appear in the item list in the PC's digital assistant as a text entry - THE ONE RING (for example).

Q: Will it be possible to negatively change a character through the course of a player made or campaign mission?
A: You can affect character attributes, skills, hp, and more with triggers.

Q: Can we limit runs to specific archetypes?
A: The editor gives you the ability to limit a run by archetype, I believe.

Q: Can events in the editor add items to the PC's inventory?
A: Yes.

Q: Can events in the editor REMOVE items from the PC's inventory?

Q: Can the editor remember and add back items that have been removed?

Editor - Scripting

Q: How rich is or how do you feel in the power of the scripting for this?
A: Happy to answer. First, you don't actually script. Instead, you create a trigger that has a series of "drop down" options to choose from. You then can dig into those options to specify what you want. I think it's pretty sweet. Takes some time to learn but it's FREAKING POWERFUL. We brought in a guy who recently graduated from game design school, gave him a few hours training and he had a full mission in two days.

Q: Are there any assets that can give the characters boosts / can be hacked?
A: Objects have no inherent gameplay. You can use the trigger system for any such effects. As long as you set up triggers for each, you can pretty much interact with anything. That's the beauty.

Q: Is it possible to increment/decrement variables, and to test variables against a range?
A: Yup.

Q: Can NPCs enter the map after a specific timespan or upon a certain trigger?
A: Yes. This is easy.

Editor - Dialogue

Q: Can I set up separate dialog for my NPCs based off the race and/or gender of the player?
A: Yes. All that is possible for you to do using the editor to ship with the game.

Q: Will alternate dialogue triggered by stats and skills be visible if you don't qualify for it?
A: That is up to the individual GM. The editor allows you to hide it. We may show them in some situations but not others.

Q: In a conversation, will we be able to set links to other conversation blocks within that conversation to prevent loads of retyping/copy&paste and very, very deep conversation tunnels?

Q: Will it be possible to set up a conversation with three people in one conversation block, or if not, can we switch from Dialogue A to Dialogue B and vice versa, transfering variables?

Editor - Miscellaneous

Q: Will we be able to create specific characters to be played for our adventures?
A: That's the plan, Stan.

Q: Is there a way to set it so a player needs to have completed "Mission001" before they are allowed to play "Mission002"?

Q: And can things they may have said or done in "Mission001" have a effect on what may happen in "Mission002"?

Q: Can the map editor open a created & completed map, such as from the main storyline, so we can take/edit the locations, triggers, and npcs?
A: That's our current plan, yes. We want people to see how we did stuff.

Q: Will the editor have custom lighting/tile coloring?
A: Yes, you can choose different colors for your lights.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
On another point, i think i've read somewhere in the last few days that they were adding gore to the game, any idea if that translates into only blood splatters or will there be a "fallout like" level of death animations (gore)? Haven't been following their forums much.
Blood pools. Chunky Salsa would be too expensive.

Elthosian

Arcane
Q: Will there be a city map to determine where to go? Or possibly an objective marker in a hud?
A: We'll use an objective marker on your HUD and a compass pointer too.

Q: Can we have the ability to turn that off?
A: No.

Damn dude, that hurts, I was planning to get my pledge upgraded to $125 level but this is just too much decline, I want to freaking explore by my own, not to be guided by an annoying Bethesda-style compass. Pfft, the good thing is that they seem pretty receptive to feedback, so if there is enough criticism about it they are probably going to get all that stuff fixed for the Berlin DLC, which I hope is at least as big as the original campaign.

And then there are the amazing looking mod-tools.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
From Mitch in the Q&A:
"We'll put out as many portraits in the the CORE GAME as we can in the time we have - none will be held for DLC. PROMISE.​
And while we won't have an interface for importing your own portrait, I believe you'll still be able to hack it. "​

Additionally, in a quick exchange with Mitch, he also mentioned that HBS won't try to block chummers from importing their own portraits if they try. They're just not taking the time away from other development to create a UI for it. ^_^​

Good to know they won't pull and EA and TOUCH OUR GAME FILES BANNU FOR YOU!

Koschey

Arcane
Yeah, surprisingly often it seems when they say 'feature X is not going to be in' the actual case is 'X will still be possible, there just won't be fancy menus/automated processes to make it a layman's task'. Looting will be possible, if time-consuming, via triggers in the editor, portrait importing seems to be possible because of Moai (or so I read in their forums in passing).

Perhaps they're still used to having mostly casual gamers as customers :smug:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

But most of the extra weight comes from things the shadowrunner does not need during a run : food, sleeping mat, dry clothes...

But shadowrunners don't need most of the standard soldier gear : they are not expected to sleep or feed on the location of the run, and they are expected to kill many more opponents/run than your standard footsoldier/battle, as it is a combat centric RPG and not RL (usually army commanders don't expect their soldiers to have to kill 10 ennemies each per battle, although suppression is usually more useful in RL that in RPG).

Suppression weapon users usually carry much more ammos (and can have others carry some of the ammo for them too).
I would regret not having ammo limitations if I had played a single computer RPG in which inventory management was not a chore. That said, they can still have unlimited bullets and have a horrible inventory management system...

Stabwound

Arcane
Great, it's designed around a quest compass. If there's one single thing that could decline this project into the sewers it's that. Oh well, it still looks like one of the better kickstarter games.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
A lot of what they say is not in or is not possible they attributed to time and/or money constraints. Looks like they used the money to build this incredible looking world, art, engine and editor but were left with not much else... has me worried (along with the fact that it will ship for iOS) that the campaign could be rather short and that the writing will be not be up to par (pulling this shit off my ass).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom