Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns Pre-Release Thread

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns?ref=history

So I just found out about this new Kisckstarter project. Seems like the original creator is involved in this one after seeing all the other kickstarters. Looks like it's going to be 2d an turn-based. Still not sure whether having an iphone version will hurt the base game, however.

Alex

Arcane
Thanks, Judas! I have been a long time fan of the P&P game and it would be great to see this project come out.

Alex

Arcane
They are mentioned at the kickstarter:

Shadowrun Kickstarter said:
What is Shadowrun Online?
Shadowrun Online is a 3D in-browser, mission based MMO with an emphasis on co-op and PvP gameplay being developed by Cliffhanger Productions and scheduled for release in mid-2013. The game is set in the 2070 era of Shadowrun and will pick up on some of the plotlines and characters in our game, Shadowrun Returns, which is set in 2050.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
No concept art, no alpha assets, nothing to show. They speak almost only about the world/system, instead of telling us what the game they want to create will actually play like.

The award tiers are lame. T-shirts, "get your face in the game", "the director will host a p&p session for you"..

I'll see how this plays out, I'll probably eventually pledge $15

zeitgeist

Magister
No concept art, no alpha assets, nothing to show. They speak almost only about the world/system, instead of telling us what the game they want to create will actually play like.
Seriously. This is getting ridiculous already. From all the recent high profile Kickstarter projects, I haven't noticed one that showed off the actual game concepts (mock or otherwise), except for FTL.

I admit I haven't been following Kickstarter much apart from Codex threads about it, so I'm wondering if this is something that's common to the medium so to speak, or just to this recent me-too crop of projects?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath

The award tiers are lame. T-shirts, "get your face in the game", "the director will host a p&p session for you"..

I'll see how this plays out, I'll probably eventually pledge $15

Yeah. Damn Tim Schafer! I mean! Brian Fargo! No! Wait! Who we bash now?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Hell yeah. 2013 is going to be a monster. I'm going to be broke soon.

Man, I'm thinking of starting a kickstarter.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I read the Shadowrun books when I was like 12 but I could never actually figure out what was happening. I think I might have read them out of order but they still literally made no sense. They sat around in this bar talking about shadow runs they did all the time (but it never really explained what a shadow run was and they never actually did them in the books) and reminiscing about this gay elf wizard who got killed a long time ago, but nothing actually happened. They were approached by dudes (Mr. Johnsons?) about shadow runs but never did any. I guess they were about the social lives of shadow runners. Anyway, those books really sucked and I hope this game doesn't suck, not that I think it will.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
On May 27, 2009 Weisman's Smith & Tinker announced their first game had been released to public beta. Nanovor is an online battle game targeted to 7 - 12 year olds. In support of the game, Smith & Tinker is releasing episodic cartoons,[7] graphic novels, comic books, figurines and more.

On June 9, 2009 Weisman and J.C. Hutchins released Personal Effects: Dark Art (Griffin). On the same day Weisman along with Russ Bullock announced that the MechWarrior franchise would be seeing a relaunch.

On September 11th, 2011 Weisman partnered with Piranha Games to create the MechWarrior Reboot.

Jordan is currently an Adjunct Professor in the Interactive Media Division at the USC School of Cinema-Television.

hrrmn. I really hope this is his 'shit I actually want to make' project, and that he's going to fund the rest after 400k is up. Still a turn based shadowrun game though, would have never happened otherwise.

made

Arcane
Seems to be a recurring theme:
-make game for mobile platforms
-turn to kickstarter for additional funding from the nostalgic PC crowd
-rake in cash

almondblight

Arcane
No concept art, no alpha assets, nothing to show.

Well, they already made a 2D top-down turn-based game with pretty good graphics, and released it in under a year:

http://harebrained-schemes.com/crimson/

...which is a lot more than Fargo had. They did a really poor job marketing this, but now that I've read into it, it looks like the most promising Kickstarter so far. I'm going to definitely back it.

Stabwound

Arcane
The Shadowrun SNES game is a classic, one of my favorites. It would make a pretty nice CRPG, but I don't have enough hope for it, or care, to donate my doolars.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane

I really hope their ambition goes beyond the scope I see here. I think it'll be simpler and more 'play on the go' than the kickstarter pitch makes it sound. Probably more of a fixed linear narrative with conversation influencing availability of mission levels and added squad outfitting than best rpg 2013.

create their own Shadowrun stories & “runs”
yeah specifically calling it stories and runs is where I get the whole level to level instead of interconnected world vibe from

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Shadowrun PnP game (the SNES game too) is one of my absolute favorites, so I have no choice but to throw money at them and eat scraps for the rest of the month.

Renegen

Arcane
Maybe they should stagger kickstarter projects over the whole year instead of putting them all in the same month...

Johannes

Arcane
Ingame benefits as rewards? That's lame.

Otherwise looks cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom