Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #85: Hong Kong campaign concept art revealed

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wonder if this means we'll get a roar of the coliseum kickstarter pan-Internet multimedia event. It's been awhile.

Last edited:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Is Shadowrun Unlimited any good?
I tried it ~1 year ago. Then it had great item and cyber assets (which vanilla lacks). Nice way to go around Runs and atmosphere. Unfortunately it was also quite grindy and you'd end up doing the same stuff again and again to progress your street cred and moneys.
It's certainly worth trying, if only to see what Shadowrun could be about. Obviously I have no idea what improvements have been done since then.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've tried Shadowrun Unlimited recently and this is a really cool mod, especially the writing (very funny and also fits the setting). Unfortunately, it is a sandbox game, so it gets repetitive and boring very soon.

set

Cipher
https://shadowrun-returns.wikispaces.com/Tag
By the description, it seems that they can be very handful. I'm curious if 4 actors are tagged "Team A" and 4 others "Team B",if it is possible ti start a fight between them.

With the editor I could just as easily put two parties on the other side of a glass wall and have them fight, the point is, I would like to have the fighting as scenery to set the backdrop for the level - you see guys fighting outside but can move independently of their battle. Doing what I'm doing locks everyone into turn-based movement on the level, which is annoying.

The best I could do is use play-animation triggers and make a mock fight I guess, maybe I'll try that.

The editor could do with some general enhancements, it's quite easy to hit the "memory cap". I see now why most levels are quite small.

eXalted

Arcane
With the editor I could just as easily put two parties on the other side of a glass wall and have them fight, the point is, I would like to have the fighting as scenery to set the backdrop for the level - you see guys fighting outside but can move independently of their battle. Doing what I'm doing locks everyone into turn-based movement on the level, which is annoying.
They said in the presentation that this is just the way that the engine works.

The best I could do is use play-animation triggers and make a mock fight I guess, maybe I'll try that.
This will be cool to see. But it sounds to me that ti will take crazy amount of work to make.

The editor could do with some general enhancements, it's quite easy to hit the "memory cap". I see now why most levels are quite small.
You can reuse props. This way they don't use additional memory.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Shadowrun Unlimited reuses vanilla maps all the time. Many other mods do the same. Not sure if that's a sign of laziness or of the editor being piss poor.

eXalted

Arcane
268x268.resizedimage

Seriously people, while you wait for the Kickstarter, play this UGC. I'm in no way connected with its author, but I'm very fond of it. Nice story, cool noir atmosphere, strong conversations and hard battles - kind of unbalanced, but even the author itself admits that he is not good at designing them. No matter that, for me it was more interesting than SRR.

Sadly it's only for the vanilla game, there is no Dragonfall version.

There is a review by James from Extra Credits - if you can wrap your ears around his way of talking.

You can download it for Steam and for DRM-free.

Other UGCs I've tried are Shadowrun Unlimited (too repetitive for me, includes a lot of vanilla maps and... didn't like the whitish ambiet lightning in this one) and the famous Autumbra Act I & II (I'm still struggling to get myself to play Act III... first two act were pretty boring).

almondblight

Arcane
Try A Stitch in Time. I've only gone through the first act so far (ran into an issue with doors on the second act), but what I played was pretty good.

cfisher2833

Learned
My main wish for the new game is to have a dedicated inventory that allows me to give items to my teammates.
It was annoying as fuck to make it into that room with all the Russian nades in the final dungeon and not be able to give any of them to my teammates.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I actually liked the fact they managed their own inventory/gear. It's just like a PnP session, your fellow players choose their own inventory and gear.

Athelas

Arcane
Computer RPG's aren't PnP sessions. You control all the characters during combat, you should get to control their inventories as well.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
I edited my post.

I kinda like the companion inventory non-persistence since it means I can go wild with using their items without triggering CRPG item hoarding instinct
Sure, but that's still not worth losing all the functionality from a normal inventory system.
You do understand what a cRPG is right? :M
Apparently you don't. In a PnP session you could just ask your fellow players to share their items with you.

If it's so important to you, the PnP feel can be emulated simply by giving items to companions that can never be removed from their inventories (PS:T did this).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Athelas Well, I'd be fine with having inventory management + your guys still regenerate additional items for every mission, I guess. Although you'd have to convince yourself not to hoard their items. :P

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know I'm a bad person, but I for one am grateful for SR's minimal inventory system. I would sincerely hate for them to "fix" SR by implementing a full blown warehouse management sim with dragging and dropping icons around in dozens of little boxes. God that would be awful. It's wonderful to play an RPG that's vastly more about the characters than what's in their pockets.

At this point let me reiterate that I already know I'm a bad person.

eXalted

Arcane
I know I'm a bad person, but I for one am grateful for SR's minimal inventory system. I would sincerely hate for them to "fix" SR by implementing a full blown warehouse management sim with dragging and dropping icons around in dozens of little boxes. God that would be awful. It's wonderful to play an RPG that's vastly more about the characters than what's in their pockets.

At this point let me reiterate that I already know I'm a bad person.
I really like this simplistic approach, and if there is team inventory management system it will be nice if there are still 5-6 slots per character.

set

Cipher
I agree. I liked that I could assign what I thought would be required for a mission to my main character and not have to worry about the essential medical supplies that would always spawn for the rest of my team. It makes sense.

Some games benefit by item management, but SRR isn't about items. You get a few weapons and augments but it's not what the game is supposed to be about.

Emily

Arcane
i am a bit confused. Why kickstarter of all things?
You already have a successful game that was kickstarted, why ask now again?

set

Cipher
Because they don't have the funding? The cost to make a game is quite high yanno. Even if they make a profit with the last two games it may not be enough to cover the company through an entire year or two of development (and they may want more time than that for this game even).

Let's say the average salary is $60,000 a year. Let's say HBS has 15 core employees - that's almost $1M a year just on salary. I think we can all agree that even if SRR is doing really well, they probably are not generating $1M a year off it while they develop the next game.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You had limited control of companion inventories in Dragonfall DC. You couldn't change their armor, but you could give them an additional weapon or a couple miscellaneous items.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom