Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #41: Game Editor Explained

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Harebrained Schemes; Jordan Weisman; Shadowrun Returns

There is a new development update for Shadowrun Returns, in which Jordan Weisman mostly talks about the game editor - and in particular, how the conversations, environments and AI work. Have a snippet:

Shadowrun Returns integrates text into gameplay in four ways:
  • Chapter and Scene Introductions set the context and emotional landscape for the scene you are about to play
  • In-world GM pop-ups describe the sights, sounds, and smells that your character is experiencing at this moment. For those of you who are unfamiliar with tabletop role-playing, GM stands for “Game Master” - the person charged with setting the stage and refereeing the action.
  • In-world character speech bubbles provide short quips from your characters and our NPCs, providing insights into their actions. Of course, sometimes, they’re just for entertainment.
  • Our conversation window allows you to have in-depth branching conversations with characters in the world, as well as GM narration that helps bring those characters to life. (Although we can’t animate the single tear traveling down the street urchin’s face, we can type it!)
Scene Logic

The true power of our game editor is its event driven trigger system. A trigger is an action that only happens if all its conditions are met - in other words, classic IF/THEN logic. In many game editors, this kind of logic is created with a scripting language but I wanted to avoid that because many of us storytellers are not programmers (and don’t want to become one). So our logic is created by using context-sensitive dropdown menus that auto-populate with the characters, regions and objects the GM adds to the scene. After adding them to the scene, they can be referred to in the conditions and actions of the triggers. You still have to carefully think through the logic of what you want to happen and it requires iteration to get things to work exactly how you imagine. But at least you never have to worry about syntax errors! Through triggers, GMs can cause almost anything to happen in a scene. GMs can choreograph the movement of NPCs, change their AI behaviors, change the environment, and branch the gameplay based upon the player’s actions.

Conversations

Character conversations are your primary way to express the depth of your story, so it was important to get it right for GMs to author and for players to consume. We started with a keyword-based system derived from the SNES game but after mocking this up and playing with it I found that clicking on a single word made me feel like I was not participating in the conversation. I felt more like I was performing an inquisition. One word at a time. It was like, “Sim-chip! Talk!”

Shadowrun has a “voice” to it, a staccato rhythm of conversation inspired by writers like Raymond Chandler and William Gibson, and that just didn’t come across by clicking a word. So we pivoted to a more traditional branching conversation tree in which players select from sentences that capture not just the facts but also the flavor of the conversation. One of the cool things this approach also allowed us to do was to integrate our triggers into conversations. That means the branches of a conversation can open or close based upon character attributes, skills, what the player did in a recent combat, what they did in a previous scene - almost anything really. Similarly, conversation choices can fire triggers that have enormous impact on the plot and gameplay.

Lastly, conversations are not just for characters. GMs can use the conversation system to make lots of things interactive. For instance, entering pass codes for doors or computers, buying a pack of cigarettes from a vending machine, or searching through objects on a desk can all be done with the conversation engine and a little imagination.​

The update is pretty long and covers a lot of ground, so you'd better read it in full. (Also, pictures!)

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The editor looks p. powerful and user-friendly. Here's hoping for some good modules.

Oh yeah, also RIP keyword system. But frankly nobody seems interested in implementing it properly, to use it just for old-schoolness sake I really don't give a fuck. So no big loss.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I couldn't tell from the article. Do they allow you to use a scripting language or not?

It's cool they want to make it easy for non-programmers, but they should still allow the option.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Metro why?..

Leave the IP alone for a second and consider just what a base, cheap, way out providing editors is for the developers..less content, less 'fluff', less 'extras', nowadays we let the fans do it? Just how many games that were utter shit have we bought that featured an editor? How many times did we add add add modules, only to delete and restart, burning ourselves out within a few days of merely what? Making an effort to have our game a bit deeper, or a bit more ----tending--- towards balanced? Yes, i know, i know, BG, IWD etc etc. and how nice would it be if..granted.. You want to count, adversely, the number of times, after that era, editors meant nothing more than just the above?

It used to be games shipped sans bugs. Or with few enough that only a handful would find. Nowadays we actually expect them to be full of them at launch...
Then, it used to be games packed full, RPGs most especially, they could last you months. Nowadays we are meant to provide the content on our own..

Pack it on its own, release it a year later, i will fap with you. Pack it with the base version, and i worry.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shadowrun Returns is low budget and will probably be relatively small. They have to ship it with the editor, because otherwise people might be upset with what they get.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It used to be games shipped sans bugs.

ehCFkcw.png

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm one of those late born folks, I just joined gaming on computers with a C-64,
after I got my videogame introduction with an Atari 2600, so I haven't experienced
those times, when games shipped sans bugs. When was that?

Zeriel

Arcane
Shadowrun Returns is low budget and will probably be relatively small. They have to ship it with the editor, because otherwise people might be upset with what they get.

Fuck that, this already looks way better than anything I've played in the last few years. And I've actually been waiting (in despair) for another modern game to come out that has a full-fledged editor like NWN2. Maybe this one won't randomly corrupt the modules? Also, while there's been a few 3D games with toolsets like this, this seems like something of a milestone to be a more 2D-style contemporary game with said editor.

buzz

Arcane
Maybe he's talking about console gaming? :? I've seen many people say that old console games didn't have bugs (of any game-breaking kind)

Indranys

Savant
This is a great news indeed. :hug:
I mean the editor, and I believe the base game will have enough content to be called Shadowrun RPG game, not Shadowrun Toolkit/Maker/Editor/etc with an example module.
It's rather unfortunate they ditched the keyword based dialogue.
If they use and improve the keyword dialogue system in TES Daggerfall or Wiz 8 it would be great.
And I have a very minor qualm about the graphic.
It's too cartoony for my taste.
The Shadowrun SNES/Genesis color schemes was better IMO.
It's not a big deal though, The game still has great potentials to be a great :incline:
This year's getting better and better.

Quilty

Magister
Does anyone remember the editor Arcanum shipped with? It seemed pretty interesting from what I remember, though I also remember it being rather clunky and crash-prone. Still, I would have expected to see more modules. People just seemed to dismiss it.

Zeriel

Arcane
Does anyone remember the editor Arcanum shipped with? It seemed pretty interesting from what I remember, though I also remember it being rather clunky and crash-prone. Still, I would have expected to see more modules. People just seemed to dismiss it.

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened with that either. I remember tinkering around with it, and it didn't seem terrible. I'd say that maybe people just felt that the game world was very complete and there wasn't much to add, but that doesn't stop people from using the heck out of the Elder Scrolls toolkits.

Quilty

Magister
It's a shame, though. I really liked the aesthetics of that game and would have loved to play more modules. People usually find the game ugly and lifeless, but every time I stepped into that world it was very immersive, to use that awful term.

Zeriel

Arcane
It's a shame, though. I really liked the aesthetics of that game and would have loved to play more modules. People usually find the game ugly and lifeless, but every time I stepped into that world it was very immersive, to use that awful term.

I'm also thinking it might have had something to do with a lack of a central community. Around when the game came out, Sierra (the publisher) was going down in flames, and there was certainly no huge network of community sites that Bethesda has for its game in the form of SkyrimNexus, etc. (Also possibly no understanding that these sites were necessary for the toolkit to even catch on.) Modders really value a sense of safety that if they spend six months working on a mod, there will still be more than a dozen people interested in the game to play it when it comes out.

himmy

Arcane
there was certainly no huge network of community sites that Bethesda has for its game in the form of SkyrimNexus, etc.

That "huge network of community sites" pretty much came into existence organically by the time Morrowind came out. To my knowledge, Bethesda didn't have any official modding website set up or any other sort of resources, other than just offering the editor. The community started the websites and not the other way around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom