Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Returns Gameplay Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Infinitron, Jul 25, 2013.

1. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Isn't he downstairs, behind the piano?
    ^ Top  
  2. Grunker RPG Codex Staff Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

Not as far as I saw. Will check again when I come home.
    ^ Top  
  3. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Whoa, I see the quest compasses should be much more detailed in this game. First hoverdog couldn't find Coyote, now Grunker has a problem with Mr Delilah. What's next, Caius Cosades? :troll:
    tuluse, DalekFlay, buzz and 2 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  4. Crooked Bee Nyadmin

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2014 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Iirc he'll magically appear a bit later, after you talk to Coyote.
    ^ Top  
  5. pocahaunted Augur

pocahaunted
    Ok, just finished this. Went with a conjuring focused Shaman+Pistol PC on hard. Only died once during the corp invasion (fucking decker was useless) when inside the matrix and later on when facing the bug lair, as I faced it with only 3 runners. Eagle aura plus high quickness makes short work of pretty much everything, there was barely anything that I couldn't hit. Compared with my PC, all the NPC runners were pretty much useless unless buffed and even then it wasn't very close.

Biggest gripe I have with this game has got to be the forever in combat bullshit, followed by the buggy quests. When you infiltrate the cult undercover, if you manage to get Father Willy's garments and ID, the security checkpoint asks you to get Father Willy if you want to go through, given a certain dialogue option. Some guy also asks you where your uniform is, despite the fact that you're wearing an uniform. The game will also not allow you to put on a male's uniform as a female PC, yet it allows you to take Father Willy's, which is obviously a male's uniform. Alas... consistency!
    ^ Top  
  6. gaudaost Prophet

gaudaost
    Finished the game. Absolutely fantastic art direction realized with good graphics, stunning from beginning to end! Music served as good background music, but all of it was completely forgettable. The story was genuinely good, the dialogue was excellent and at times even funny, and served as a nice homage to the old SNES games, it felt very SNESY, though less simplistic and stupid.

I'm very disappointed with the tactical combat and the difficulty though; Not only is it piss easy even on "very hard", the combat is also way too simplistic and easy to break, making a combat that is already a walk in the park a prolonged snooze on the bench (to quote yazee). One thing that became very clear to me, is that all the hive-drones that immediately toted the combat as better than XCOM in order to gain recognition and KKK from their peers, are dead wrong.

XCOM as a turn based :popamole: strategy game is superior to shadowrun in every possible way. Hell, the covers don't even matter much in shadowrun. In XCOM if you were left exposed with cover, it was fatal, especially if you got flanked, making positioning, planning of your movement and knowledge about the environment imperative. In shadowrun, it didn't even matter as far as I can see, and most of the time, I didn't even care about getting cover, or how I was entering a room and the positioning of my other team mates. Furthermore, XCOM if you gave yourself all the handicaps and played on the hardest difficulty, it was easily on of the hardest games ever made, in stark contrast to shadowrun.

Furthermore, while XCOM's AI wasn't the best ever seen, it far exceeds that of shadowruns, where they don't actually have any. You can win every fight by retreating into the nearest room, where the enemies will always, without exception clump together in the doorway, where you can spam them with grenades and AOE-spells until they are all dead. It will never occur to them, that it's not a good idea to stand in the open occupying the same 3x3 square.

XCOM also had much more interesting abilites, that allowed for much more strategic game.

In conclusion, it delivered on the story and the graphics, but on the tactical combat it fell flat on it's face.

I give it :4/5: for its very low pricepoint as a backer, and the fact that I was entertained throughout, except for the very boring matrix fighting level, and the final level, and promises of more free content. I'm very much looking forward to see where this game is going.
    Roguey Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  7. pocahaunted Augur

pocahaunted
    That fucking matrix... can't quite say it's worse than what we had in the SNES version, but damn, it just feels boring as hell.

Having said that, the way it was interwoven with outside the matrix combat was pretty interesting.
    buzz and gaudaost Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  8. JudasIscariot Prophet Patron

JudasIscariot
    Serpent in the Staglands
    Speaking of Coyote, I already noticed one inconsistency in the game. She died a horrible death while trying to escape from those damned immortal bugs when rescuing Marie-Louise from the Universal Brotherhood...and now she's available as a Fixer contact. It's not just her face but the name and character description :D.
    ^ Top  
  9. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    Yeah, any runners who die will still be available for the next mission. Guess those Doc Wagons can get just about anywhere.
    ^ Top  
  10. DramaticPopcorn Prophet

DramaticPopcorn
    Oh are you serious? I noticed that for drones too... :|
    ^ Top  
  11. Tommy Wiseau Arcane

Tommy Wiseau
    so in redmond barrens there's this frightened shaman named vlad that talks about having seen a spirit. any way i can follow up on this or is it just random banter?
    ^ Top  
  12. CappenVarra Phantasmist

CappenVarra
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    My weekend so far: play SR for 8 hours (ouch, my head), sleep for 10 hours, play SR for 3 hours more, finish.

Had to feed my SMG obsession of course, was tearing through combat encounters like crazy:

[​IMG]

Note to self: play on Very Hard next time. Or try to solo the game? Or solo the game on Very Hard? Hm...
    ^ Top  
  13. 1451 Seeker

I don't like the story
    Show Spoiler
    it starts relatively simply by asking you to extract revenge and doing some investigative work. Then it takes a horror turn by visiting the mental asylum(I won't lie, it reminded me of vampire the masquerade bloodlines) and it all comes down to a bunch of filthy rich people(elves, whatever) who have the means to save humanity and life on earth.
    Seeing how horrible are the lives of the planet's denizens, I would prefer the assimilation with the alien bugs.

Friendly fire is a good addition, was there in dragon age until bioware removed it from normal difficulty in the sequel.
    ^ Top  
  14. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    It's foreshadowing for things you'll see later.
    ^ Top  
  15. gaudaost Prophet

gaudaost
    Oh man, I was having high hopes for the life on a limb module, it seemed excellent at first as it is much more open than the OC and makes good use of skill checks, but I realized that right now it's a mess, and a buggy one at that. All the areas are overfilled with pointless stuff, it's impossible to understand what's going on, because 10 dialogue windows pop up at the same time, overlapping eachother, you die way to often completely randomly by people that attack you for no sensical reason. The worst offender, is the science fiction mag you find in the bus, you hand it to the science fiction guy, and for no fucking reason that makes any sense at all, he attacks you and turns out to be a high level shaman that you can't really beat, at least not with the character I made. That was also the point at which I stopped.
    ^ Top  
  16. Chaotic_Heretic Cipher

Chaotic_Heretic
    Quickness/Shotgun/Dodge ; willpower/spellcasting hybrid is pretty easy on very hard. buff/heal (occasional stun) with spells and blow everything with kneecap/wideload.
    gaudaost Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  17. Trash Simply fabulous

Trash
    Mostly because it's buggy as fuck. The maker often forgets to put npc's into neutral or friendly stance. Every new version readme has amusingly enough fixes for npc's he accidently made into enemies. I'll stay well clear of it untill he bugfixes it for a few weeks more.
    ^ Top  
  18. Sensuki Arcane

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands
    Indeed. I thought it might have been a bug or something rather than just a 'random result' it is entirely possible that that could all happen in the same round but the chances would have to be pretty low.
    ^ Top  
  19. dibens Arcane Patron

dibens
    The Ripper boss fight was laughable. I kneecapped and ap drained the troll, and while he was unconscious, Dr. Holmes was just running around aimlessly, trying to fight off the spirit. That's on a highest difficulty and without a full team.
    ^ Top  
  20. gaudaost Prophet

gaudaost
    the shotgun with kneecap is without doubt the most powerful weapon. I understood this quite quickly.
    ^ Top  
  21. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    You've never played a rigger with two S-class drones then.
    Jaedar and gaudaost Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  22. JudasIscariot Prophet Patron

JudasIscariot
    Serpent in the Staglands

If you're talking about my statement, then yes, I am serious. Even better, Mrs. Kubota asks about Coyote after your failed mission...
    ^ Top  
  23. Sensuki Arcane

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands
    Just finished the game on Very Hard. Steam clocks me in at 12.1 hours that's with AFK time and quite a few reloads of one of the Catacombs levels due to no trauma kit/medpacks.

I enjoyed the start of the game where it's a murder investigation, but when it blew into a 'Save the world' type scheme I started to facepalm a little bit. Everything was blatantly obvious including Jessica being the mastermind of it all. The Elf Doctor showing up at the crime scene was like a complete LOL, there was absolutely zero doubt he was the killer because the writers lack any form of subtlety.

That said I didn't mind the combat too much. Sure it could be a lot better, but there aren't many turn-based RPGs that I don't have to whip out my CRT monitor to play at 4:3 low res. I didn't like how you were either stuck in combat mode or story mode, there should be more seamless integration between the two. I'm sure it wouldn't have been too code the transition better.

I played as a Human custom-class - I started out as Melee/Ranged dual but I picked an AK-97 as my first weapon so I just rolled with Rifles. Maxed Quickness, Ranged Combat and Rifles, had like 5 pts in Strength, 6 in Body, 4 or 5 in Dodge and 2 in Charisma, not sure how many I had left over at the end. I found the most useful NPC to be Coyote with her Shotgun, most of the other ones were pretty terrible, even the Mages. Is it just me or are Deckers completely useless at combat?

One thing I was never able to figure out is how to unlock doors. My main PC didn't have the skill so I just assumed that I needed to in order to be able to do it, probs missed out on a fair bit of loot because of that.

The only two missions in the game that required remote use of Tactics was the Infiltration mission to steal the Aegis thingo and the final mission under the Brotherhood Compound. This may be because I was grossly underprepared for the endgame and had pretty much zero consumables or grenades, so if anyone took multiple instances of damage I could only heal the last one with Harlequin. Kept losing one person before I got to the next level and even after 5-6 reloads my Dwarf Shaman kept dying to crits, so I just kept going.

Funny thing was when I entered the final level a scripted NPC arrived to take her place, and it was the same guy I already had in my party haha so I had two of them. He also had one of those Aegis weapon thingos.

Got smashed the first time I did the final boss fight because I thought that the minions would stop coming, second time I just went straight for Jessica, took her out in 2 rounds and then mopped up the 3 bugs that made it in. Pretty easy.

I definitely agree that the art direction of the game is really cool, the environment art, character models and portraits are all great. That was probably the best thing about the game.
    toro Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  24. Ormagöden Learned Patron

Ormagöden
    Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Yeah i also found out that trying to finish bugs first is stupid.
    ^ Top  
  25. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    It can be so unintuitive you wouldn't believe. As an example, to unlock the door in the lobby of asylum, which leads to bathroom like area with a few lockers holding medkit or two, you have to wait until Ripper will speak to you and combat mode starts. Only then, in combat, you can order your decker to plug in into this door and run around Matrix a little for the first time.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)