Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns - Dead Man's Switch

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by JudasIscariot, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Elthosian Erudite

Elthosian
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Damn dude, that hurts, I was planning to get my pledge upgraded to $125 level but this is just too much decline, I want to freaking explore by my own, not to be guided by an annoying Bethesda-style compass. Pfft, the good thing is that they seem pretty receptive to feedback, so if there is enough criticism about it they are probably going to get all that stuff fixed for the Berlin DLC, which I hope is at least as big as the original campaign.

And then there are the amazing looking mod-tools.
    J_C Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  2. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    From Mitch in the Q&A:
    "We'll put out as many portraits in the the CORE GAME as we can in the time we have - none will be held for DLC. PROMISE.​
    And while we won't have an interface for importing your own portrait, I believe you'll still be able to hack it. "​

Additionally, in a quick exchange with Mitch, he also mentioned that HBS won't try to block chummers from importing their own portraits if they try. They're just not taking the time away from other development to create a UI for it. ^_^​

Good to know they won't pull and EA and TOUCH OUR GAME FILES BANNU FOR YOU!
    ^ Top  
  3. Koschey Arbiter Patron

Koschey
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yeah, surprisingly often it seems when they say 'feature X is not going to be in' the actual case is 'X will still be possible, there just won't be fancy menus/automated processes to make it a layman's task'. Looting will be possible, if time-consuming, via triggers in the editor, portrait importing seems to be possible because of Moai (or so I read in their forums in passing).

Perhaps they're still used to having mostly casual gamers as customers :smug:
    ^ Top  
  4. Galdred Generalist Patron

Galdred
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    Codex 2013
    But most of the extra weight comes from things the shadowrunner does not need during a run : food, sleeping mat, dry clothes...
    But shadowrunners don't need most of the standard soldier gear : they are not expected to sleep or feed on the location of the run, and they are expected to kill many more opponents/run than your standard footsoldier/battle, as it is a combat centric RPG and not RL (usually army commanders don't expect their soldiers to have to kill 10 ennemies each per battle, although suppression is usually more useful in RL that in RPG).

Suppression weapon users usually carry much more ammos (and can have others carry some of the ammo for them too).
    I would regret not having ammo limitations if I had played a single computer RPG in which inventory management was not a chore. That said, they can still have unlimited bullets and have a horrible inventory management system...
    ^ Top  
  5. Stabwound Magister

Stabwound
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    Great, it's designed around a quest compass. If there's one single thing that could decline this project into the sewers it's that. Oh well, it still looks like one of the better kickstarter games.
    ^ Top  
  6. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    A lot of what they say is not in or is not possible they attributed to time and/or money constraints. Looks like they used the money to build this incredible looking world, art, engine and editor but were left with not much else... has me worried (along with the fact that it will ship for iOS) that the campaign could be rather short and that the writing will be not be up to par (pulling this shit off my ass).
    ^ Top  
  7. J_C Could be Matt Barton. Maybe. Patron The Real Fanboy

J_C
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    How can you even put quest compass in the game, when you are making an oldschool cRPG?

What happened? They made this awesome engine, great atmosphere, good combat and dialogue system, and suddenly they said: hey, do you know what is the feature which was never part of old cRPGs, but we should use it anyway? QUESTCOMPASS!

It just doesn't compute! Why are they using it anyway? I doubt the game world be we huge (like "Skyrim huge"), so it won't be hard to explore the places.
    Mortmal, Jaesun, almondblight and 2 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  8. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    Well, they probably need to cater to their iOS crowd.
    ^ Top  
  9. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    The pc and ios versions are 1:1, with the exception of the editor and the added pc config options, so they catered to the lowest common denominator... and it sucks (especially because you can't turn it off).
    ^ Top  
  10. J_C Could be Matt Barton. Maybe. Patron The Real Fanboy

J_C
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    Hm, I wasn't even aware that there will be an iOS version. That doesn't bode well for the game. Downgraded my anticipation from OMG THIS GAME WILL BE AMAZING to Cautiosly optimistic.
    ^ Top  
  11. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    Hopefully a large "hacking" community will rise to try to fix the shortcomings in the game, like the quest compass or the walking speed for example. They have said that mods are not possible, but who knows. Story and quest wise, i expect that itch to be scratched by the editor.
    ^ Top  
  12. Galdred Generalist Patron

Galdred
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    Codex 2013
    I'd rather have them use the quest compass only when it makes sense (ie, after the shadowrunner got knowledge of said location). It would be much better to have this be some kind of ingame feature than a magic locator of everything. That said, maybe the runners can locate everything and everyone with google maps 2054
    ^ Top  
  13. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    Be sure to complain about it on the forums, it seems like the developers pay attention.
    ^ Top  
  14. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    They never said they were making an "old school cRPG."

Given the time constraints it is easier to just put a marker on the map instead of writing out directions that are subject to change.
    DwarvenFood Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  15. J_C Could be Matt Barton. Maybe. Patron The Real Fanboy

J_C
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    Even if they didn't said that explicitly, everything shouts oldschool in this game.

They delay the game a few months. I don't care about some delay if I get a quality product in the end.
    ^ Top  
  16. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Those few extra months of development will be paid by the devs turning tricks on a street corner somewhere of course.
    ^ Top  
  17. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    Way too much XCOM ENEMY UNKNOWN influence for it to be that. That's a new school turn based game.
    Weisman said they've already spent all the Kickstarter money "and more." June is as far as their emergency fund stretches.
    ^ Top  
  18. J_C Could be Matt Barton. Maybe. Patron The Real Fanboy

J_C
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    Ehh, Ok, I get it. I'm just a little disappointed that it has some popamole features.
    ^ Top  
  19. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I actually expected it to be somewhat mediocre, so it keeps pleasantly surprising me at all times. Just the editor alone seems worth the price of admission.

PS you could clearly see the quest compass in the gameplay video. After you get the info from the homeless guy a marker is then put above the Renraku secret lab entrance.
    ^ Top  
  20. J_C Could be Matt Barton. Maybe. Patron The Real Fanboy

J_C
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    Hm, I haven't noticed that. Maybe I have selective vision. Only seeing the good stuff. :)

To be honest, I also expected less from this game, so I was pleasantly surprised as well by the gameplay video. Maybe this is why this quest marker stuff throw me off a little.
    ^ Top  
  21. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    I hope the pc version is not gimped options wise... i need to play this at 1920x1080.
    ^ Top  
  22. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    The game will be using a Checkpoint Save System, instead of save anytime (which is either FFFFFFUUUUUUUU or YEAH depending on your point of view). I am somewhat OK with this, because it eliminates the LOL I missed my STAT check, RELOAD! We also do not not know how spaced the checkpoints are ( would *assume* there would be a checkpoint at the beginning and end of a run). They also really like the idea of an Ironman mode, but do not have the time to add this at the final release so maybe later.

EDIT: The Unofficial FAQ has been updated here. Note his numbering system that now shows when new answers have been added.
    ^ Top  
  23. hoverdog dog that is hovering

hoverdog
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    Project: Eternity
    :x

I HATE checkpoints. Consolitis absolute. Completely destroys the feel. 'oh, game saved, it means something tough is right around the corner'.
    Every other system is better: save-anywhere for more comfort. Save between missions for creating a tighter experience (a perfect choice for such a game). Save on exit for some ironman love.

Of course, they could mean checkpoints as in saving before and after missions. That would be perfect.
    skuphundaku and CrustyBot Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  24. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    Yeah I would assume the Checkpoint Saves will be before and after a run. Also if this does sell very well after release a new save anywhere and Ironman mode could possibly be added, so we will have to wait and see.

Also with the editor, you could add more or less of them to your own likes (like making it like the SNES version that (IIRC) you could only save at Jake's Apartment, using the bed).
    ^ Top  
  25. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Brofists Received:
    Kodex Kool Kredits:
    This. Anything other than that would be pretty stupid.
    almondblight and CrustyBot Brofist this.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)