Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Footage

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Harebrained Schemes; Shadowrun Returns

The first gameplay video for Shadowrun Returns has surfaced, showing off nearly 20 minutes of gameplay, including the party-based combat system, enemies, and the use of cover. Bear in mind that the project is currently still in alpha:

Spotted at Eurogamer

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
omgscreamnoway.gif

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wow.. beautiful example how old school graphics can be created to look good in modern resolutions. So fucking glad I pledged for this, was a bit of a gamble but the setting sold it for me and it seems like the game will be motherfucking incline indeed.

himmy

Arcane
For some reason, I was under the impression that the character system and the combat will turn out to be highly simplified, almost-casual like in the actual gameplay. Boy, was I wrong. Looks great.

Eyeball

Arcane
"X-Com vibe?" I'm sure that what you meant to say was "Hey, it's X-Com 2012 with a Shadowrun reskin, cool!"

Not automatically a bad thing, though - X-Com 2012 coulda been darned good with some more gameplay complexity, but it leaves me kind of worried nonetheless.

What I really want to know is: will this have a "random mission generator" like Shadowrun for the Genesis had? In that game, you had the option of going straight for the story missions but that would likely leave you smoked due to being underpowered, meaning you had to do some randomly generated runs to build up karma and money while providing different challenges. It was a nice diversion from the storyline and an excellent way of disguising RPG grind and I will feel deeply sad if Shadowrun Returns doesn't give us the chance to do this.

Major bonus points for having Jake Armitage as an RPC, by the way.

belated

Augur
How did I not get this during the Kickstarter? Preordering in progress!

Wizfall

Cipher
I'm only 50 sec in the video but......................
:rage::takemyjewgold::brodex::yeah:
INCLINE:incline::bro:

himmy

Arcane
I also like how the whole video seems so much less choreographed than the WL2 one. They honestly look like they're having fun playing it.

CWagner

Augur
Looks a lot better than the W2 alpha footage :smug:
W2 was pre-alpha.

But fuck yeah, that looks epic. And while the fights are somewhat similar to X-Com EU, this is more than just a tac fighting game with a simulation mini game.

Wizfall

Cipher
I'm at 4.59 look at those skills...LOL
I think we have a killer !
SO fucking glad to have pledge for this game :kingcomrade:

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
couldn't finish the video...need to call an ambulance to go have my penis drained before it explodes.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Great. What they have to show proves that the game has potential.

I missed looting and inventories, combat looked easy. To be complete there also has to be a story mode. Talk about missions still leaves me a bit worried that it will be limited. How deep was that in the original Shadowrun?

But definitely good to see that retro isometric games are now being made with modern technology, and of course they look great, especially the animations.

catfood

AGAIN
Wow, looks really nice! I'm sad now that this did not achieve more funding.

I didn't back this (haven't backed any KS since I don't believe in prepurchasing) but this game is definitely a day 1 purchase for me.

A couple of things I didn't like:
1) It doesn't tell when the enemy's turn comes in a la TOEE. Would have been nice if more info of this kind was presented.
2) Is it just me or were the combat scenes a bit too easy? The party barely lost any HP. Here's hoping that this will be fine tuned, otherwise all the tactical goodness will be for naught.

Also, a kinda semi-complaint: I understand that the budget was tight but I would have liked a bare minimum of voices, for instance when a character is selected, is ordered to move, gets injured etc. That really adds a lot to the atmosphere.

Otherwise I liked everything I saw: graphics, portraits, music, and best of all dat tactical combat. :bounce:

AC Sleighter

Novice
Great. What they have to show proves that the game has potential.

I missed looting and inventories, combat looked easy. To be complete there also has to be a story mode. Talk about missions still leaves me a bit worried that it will be limited. How deep was that in the original Shadowrun?

But definitely good to see that retro isometric games are now being made with modern technology, and of course they look great, especially the animations.

Missions are Shadowruns - It's a part of the setting

CWagner

Augur
I missed looting and inventories, combat looked easy. To be complete there also has to be a story mode. Talk about missions still leaves me a bit worried that it will be limited.

Ditto for your first thought, I wonder when we'll get more info about that.

For the story, I'm pretty sure there is a big one considering:
Since our story is about secrets and lies, we decided that our video should walk you through a side-mission so you can get a clear sense of how the game is played without revealing any spoilers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom