Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong Pre-Release Discussion [GO TO NEW THREAD]

How much HBS is going to get for his Hong Kong campaign ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WhiteGuts

Arcane
She's hot, at least. Takes a bit of the sting out.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
I'd totally hit her, especially because she reminds me of my past love ._.

On the Shadowrun:HK - Maybe this time I'll dive much deeper into modding. I tried doing something with original game, but lost all the interest after a while. Coming back to the editor might be a good idea. It was actually pretty easy to use. One of the friendliest modding tools in years.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
This game is gunna b gud. The only thing I want is more freedom of action and movement in between mission i.e. not necessarily open world, but at least not extra-linear like it was and with more option to tackle the storyline.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The devs are sure doing a bang-up job marketing their game if searching youtube produces a video that was posted 6 month ago of a feminist reviewing their first game. WTF?

I think they should spend their time and money on development and not marketing. Let word of mouth take care of the rest. Of course this means you're not going to like some of the mouths.

Alfons

Prophet
I think they should spend their time and money on development and not marketing. Let word of mouth take care of the rest. Of course this means you're not going to like some of the mouths.
That's rather simplistic isn't it? Better sales mean more revenue, more revenue means more resources, more resources means better game.
Didn't these guys start a Kickstarter so they could make this game better? Fuck it. You know what? Let the head honcho of HBS explain it.

2:46:"By backing the game you increase our production budget, and that gets more game."

Now that I rewatch the pitch video I actually see what's going on. It's the same Kickstarter shit as always, these guys are kickstarter4life. Who the fuck needs marketing when you have your dedicated audience and their Kickstarter money?

Ninjerk

Arcane
I'm having trouble following the nature of the complaint here. That they're catering to the people that liked their previous games?

Alfons

Prophet
Fuck off faggot. I'm just going by the logic of the guy I'm responding to.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
clearly, fuck the devs for not investing in important stuff like this.
ZO5cgnV.jpg

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect all happened before EA.

Still, you can't compare it to harebrained schemes. What they are doing here is not merely being greedy. If they went to a publisher to get their ips buttfucked for cheap cash, then they would be. Instead they are asking for fan donations in return for promises of extra content. Kickstarter is nothing like a publisher. Is a company selling out to the fans, like, a paradox or something?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Still, you can't compare it to harebrained schemes. What they are doing here is not merely being greedy. If they went to a publisher to get their ips buttfucked for cheap cash, then they would be. Instead they are asking for fan donations in return for promises of extra content. Kickstarter is nothing like a publisher. Is a company selling out to the fans, like, a paradox or something?

This discussion got derailed somewhere. All I'm saying is that spending more and more money on marketing so more people will buy what you're making ultimately leads to fewer risks and creating content better-suited to that broader market.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This discussion got derailed somewhere. All I'm saying is that spending more and more money on marketing so more people will buy what you're making ultimately leads to fewer risks and creating content better-suited to that broader market.

Well that's true, but, what were you saying in relation to the thread? That kickstarter is marketing?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well that's true, but, what were you saying in relation to the thread? That kickstarter is marketing?
Nah, that devoting people to recording a bunch of videos more than a month before release would be a waste of money/HBS employee time.

I'm sure there'll be a launch trailer in addition to the teaser they've already released (like there always is) and that's fine. Better to show off the product when it's practically done.

Mustawd

I think that might be true if the product was designed that way from the ground up (i.e. to serve a broad market). To me it seems that they're just trying to maximize their exposure to the market to reach any potential fans who haven't heard about them yet. Don't forget, there is still something called economic friction, which includes the costs of a seller trying to find a buyer.

As hard as it may seem to some long time posters here, not everyone in their early to mid 30s has heard of this new resurgence of RPGs. Hell, I'm a perfect testament of that. Look at my join date. That's basically a few months before I ever bought my first steam game. Before that I had started replaying old favorites like the Fallouts and TRPGS/SRPGs. I had heard about indie studios, but more in the context of Minecraft, Super Meat Boy, etc. Which I think is natural for some people in my age group, for who gaming, beyond anything more than casual console games, kind of took a back seat for a decade or so.

My point is, more marketing doesn't necessarily mean they're trying to appeal to a large and broad market. Just that they're trying to maximize every bit of their niche market that they serve. I'd be more concerned if their marketing started to dictate the desgin decisions to increase their market from niche to a more general one.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
I find it retarded that when I search youtube for "shadowrun hong kong" this is the seventh video I get on the first page:
A direct quote from the video:"Critiquing games is a totally worthwhile thing to do. I often look at games through a feminist lens or a diversity lens, even the games that I love."
That's not even thirty seconds into the video.

Here's a newsflash: there's no problem reviewing any media through any lense anyone damn well pleases. Feminist readings of novels is a core part of literature classes, and there's no problem with that, and there's no problem with people making videos about video games in a similar fashion. The issue arises when people want to limit or ban certain ideologies because they do not agree with them.

P.S. didn't watch the video, I'm sure it sucks, but so does your criticism.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Here's a newsflash: there's no problem reviewing any media through any lense anyone damn well pleases. Feminist readings of novels is a core part of literature classes, and there's no problem with that, and there's no problem with people making videos about video games in a similar fashion. The issue arises when people want to limit or ban certain ideologies because they do not agree with them.

P.S. didn't watch the video, I'm sure it sucks, but so does your criticism.
oy vey!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think that might be true if the product was designed that way from the ground up (i.e. to serve a broad market). To me it seems that they're just trying to maximize their exposure to the market to reach any potential fans who haven't heard about them yet. Don't forget, there is still something called economic friction, which includes the costs of a seller trying to find a buyer.

As hard as it may seem to some long time posters here, not everyone in their early to mid 30s has heard of this new resurgence of RPGs. Hell, I'm a perfect testament of that. Look at my join date. That's basically a few months before I ever bought my first steam game. Before that I had started replaying old favorites like the Fallouts and TRPGS/SRPGs. I had heard about indie studios, but more in the context of Minecraft, Super Meat Boy, etc. Which I think is natural for some people in my age group, for who gaming, beyond anything more than casual console games, kind of took a back seat for a decade or so.

My point is, more marketing doesn't necessarily mean they're trying to appeal to a large and broad market. Just that they're trying to maximize every bit of their niche market that they serve. I'd be more concerned if their marketing started to dictate the desgin decisions to increase their market from niche to a more general one.

I'm all for abandoning the old ways. Who's gonna watch pre-release videos? Core gamers. Where do the more casual enthusiasts hang around? The likes of twitch, youtube and twitter. Streams/LPs and word of mouth will do more to expand their audience than the advertising efforts of the past.

Why.jpeg

Learned
I haven't played any of the Shadowrun games at all but I'm pretty interested in the series and have a bit of unexpected spare cash to add them to my backlog with. Is Shadowrun Returns worth purchasing still or should I jump right into Dragonfall and then Hong Kong when it comes out?

SniperHF

Arcane
Dragonfall. SRR is worth a go still but it's not as good. There's no compelling reason to play it first since they are standalone.

Though if you are a fast player you could probably beat both before HK comes out. They aren't long games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom