Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong Pre-Release Discussion [GO TO NEW THREAD]

How much HBS is going to get for his Hong Kong campaign ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well they're less than $7,000 away from clearing $1M so that will fall sometime tonight. Maybe some type of last minute stretch goal would help bring in a bit more but this KS just doesn't strike me as built or presented that way.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Day 01: $267,945
Day 02: $134,007
Day 03: $65,359
Day 04: $34,093
Day 05: $23,049
Day 06: $18,734
Day 07: $18,344
Day 08: $18,841
Day 09: $17,517
Day 10: $27,145
Day 11: $26,747
Day 12: $20,514
Day 13: $13,981
Day 14: $19,099
Day 15: $13,743
Day 16: $22,569
Day 17: $14,935
Day 18: $13,112
Day 19: $10,268
Day 20: $8,746
Day 21: $12,304
Day 22: $6,741
Day 23: $17,351
Day 24: $10,631
Day 25: $11,336
Day 26: $11,524
Day 27: $13,542
Day 28: $8,077
Day 29: $12,897
Day 30: $12,288
Day 31: $16,378
Day 32: $36,658
Day 33: $35,937

Current Total: $994,412

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
If I'd put the Codex $3k in via KickStarter, we would've made them pass the $1M mark.

shk_campaign.png

Zetor

Arcane
They should definitely add a 1.1mil or even 1.2mil goal to capitalize off the end-of-KS rush. Otherwise a lot of potential suckersbackers may say "eh, it's already fully funded, no point in backing it above the el-cheapo level... or maybe I'll just wait for the steam sale"

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
This extra mini campaign is included for funders at at least 15 dollars in our excellent Codex fundraiser, presumably?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still think we'll see another stretch goal at 1,1 or 1,2 million dollars. It will get close anyway, so they/we are likely to hit it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UPDATE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1136350

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest!

As you must imagine, we're still reeling from the news that we hit our $1,000,000 funding goal with plenty of time remaining in the Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter project. And we bet a lot of people, especially new Backers, are wondering what goal we're setting for the final 48 hours to inspire people to continue funding.

Our goal now is the same one that we had on Day 1 of this project - ship the highest quality Shadowrun game we can. We worked hard to plan our project, communicate our plan clearly, and keep to that plan even when the enthusiasm and excitement of Kickstarter was swirling all around us.

And now that the Shadows of Hong Kong Mini-Campaign is happening, where will the additional funding go? As we've said before, "No plan survives first contact with the enemy" so we'll put it towards dealing with problems that crop up during production. We'll put it towards our test budget. We'll put it towards pizza and bagels (and healthy stuff) for a team who bust their humps to deliver to the best of their ability. And we'll use it to try and sneak in little stuff that had to fall off our features list (don't ask, we're not telling).

Prime Runners know... drek happens! And the runners who survive are the ones ready for contingencies - the ones who understand how to improvise, adapt, and overcome any situation. The ones who know that runs go sideways and keep a "rainy day fund" on a clean credstick, to deal with the drek when it starts hitting the fan.

So why should new Backers join us now?

Well for one thing, to take advantage of all the features and rewards you folks unlocked over the last month! For another, to get the game at a discount along with all three of our soundtracks when they pledge at the base level. At this point, it's not about getting the highest total. It's about inviting more people to join our community. And we hope that they'll consider joining us because they want to support a bunch of (fiercely) independent developers who genuinely care about serving their audience.

Thanks again for everything. The Shadowrun Community is supportive, welcoming, helpful, generous, understanding, and appreciative and it's an absolute pleasure to make games for you. You are the very best thing about coming back to Kickstarter.

Cheers!!!

-- HBS

Like I said, no new stretch goals.

Blackguard

Learned
A smart thing for them to do. At the same time it will probably cause some people who might have pledged, or pledgeg more, not to do so. They could have just added "more polish" stretch goal like Obsidian did with PoE.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They could have just added "more polish" stretch goal like Obsidian did with PoE.

That was actually pretty dumb. It's honestly better there is no more goals. They made their funding, and we get a new Campaign and some possibly cool new enhancements. OMG ITZ HEVAN!

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not a bad outcome really. This is the game they wanted to make. This decision is probably a good long term one. If they continue to overachieve, then $1mil every two years from a new ks is probably a given and pretty good job security.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They could have just added "more polish" stretch goal like Obsidian did with PoE.

That was actually pretty dumb. It's honestly better there is no more goals. They made their funding, and we get a new Campaign and some possibly cool new enhancements. OMG ITZ HEVAN!
I don't think is dumb. It's more of a placebo effect ("oh my god we need more money to get that stretch goal" that means the exact same thing that what this kickstarter update has said) for the backers who usually love this stretch goal stuff. In a practical level it doesn't make a difference, but putting it as a stretch goal almost guarantees more people pledging/up their pledges.

PD: The "more polish" stuff from the PoE kickstarter was a bit more extensive that what I'm talking here, though. Having the soundtrack played by an orchestra or in-game developer commentary might be fluff, but is good stuff to have nevertheless.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They already said they were gonna deliver in-game commentary so that option was off the table. :)

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm surprised with their decision and welcome it. They seem the most professional team of all the KS projects I followed.

Gozma

Arcane
I'd like it if Kickstarters would honestly say stuff like, "This is as much as we want to deliver that needs funding. If you give us more money it is just normal profit we don't feel needs to be invested into hiring more people or working longer hours, but rather on things like replacing the transmission on my daughter's car." Although, I dunno if that is technically allowed on Kickstarter.

Multi-headed Cow

I'd like it if Kickstarters would honestly say stuff like, "This is as much as we want to deliver that needs funding. If you give us more money it is just normal profit we don't feel needs to be invested into hiring more people or working longer hours, but rather on things like replacing the transmission on my daughter's car." Although, I dunno if that is technically allowed on Kickstarter.
That's what happened with Wasteland 2 as well, only Brian Fargo's daughter drives a unicorn that only drinks champagne.

Pleased with how everything's turning out, though. They may have eaten some of the cost of Dragonfall plus the director's edition (Just pulling this out of my ass, but considering it was fairly significantly better than DMS and they put a hefty amount of work in (And people who backed DMS on Kickstarter got it for free, and people who bought Dragonfall as DLC got the DC for free) I think it's possible) but doing so definitely put my faith back in to them. Without Dragonfall I probably wouldn't have been in on another Shadowrun Kickstarter. DMS wasn't unplayable shit and I played and enjoyed it more than WL2 but a lot of it left me disappointed. So disappointed in fact it took me months before I finally played Dragonfall after I got it through Kickstarter just 'cause I figured "More of this, I'll get to it later". End result was enough to get me pumped to go in on another Shadowrun Kickstarter, and assuming Hong Kong's as good or better than Dragonfall I'll probably be up for future Shadowrun Kickstarters too.
In fact if they wanted to knock out a Shadowrun game roughly once a year I'd be all for it. Especially if they're backward compatible with player adventures made in the earlier ones (May not be possible due to rule/system changes though, like revamped matrix and shit). Seen people in here wanting an open world Shadowrun and that'd be cool, but if that's beyond the scope of the engine or team I'm certainly alright with these mostly linear adventures.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I can't imagine why it wouldn't be allowed. The original point of kickstarter was for people to start businesses, like if they had some invention and wanted to sell it to people without going through a bunch of middlemen. Obviously profit is intended. Thats why the system is set up to only pay if they make X amount of money, so they can cover costs and turn a profit beyond that point.

Hell, the whole concept of pay being for work and not living expenses is retarded to begin with. You can't distinguish that unless you flat out say you're working for X dollars an hour, and then you'd need to somehow prove how many hours you're working, which would be insane. If someone gets a pile of money to make a game, what are they supposed to do, only ever buy necessities? Does shampoo count or is that a luxury? How about clothing or a haircut? When they finish the game and have money left over should they just keep programming extra random shit nobody wanted?

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Day 01: $267,945
Day 02: $134,007
Day 03: $65,359
Day 04: $34,093
Day 05: $23,049
Day 06: $18,734
Day 07: $18,344
Day 08: $18,841
Day 09: $17,517
Day 10: $27,145
Day 11: $26,747
Day 12: $20,514
Day 13: $13,981
Day 14: $19,099
Day 15: $13,743
Day 16: $22,569
Day 17: $14,935
Day 18: $13,112
Day 19: $10,268
Day 20: $8,746
Day 21: $12,304
Day 22: $6,741
Day 23: $17,351
Day 24: $10,631
Day 25: $11,336
Day 26: $11,524
Day 27: $13,542
Day 28: $8,077
Day 29: $12,897
Day 30: $12,288
Day 31: $16,378
Day 32: $36,658
Day 33: $35,937
Day 34: $68,324

Current Total: $1,062,736
:dead:

With 36 hours to go.

Multi-headed Cow

That's what happened with Wasteland 2 as well, only Brian Fargo's daughter drives a unicorn that only drinks champagne.
Actually, Fargo put money into the game.

It may not be very good, but they didn't take the money and run.
That's called spending money to make money, friend. You gotta make your scams look believable to get the money in the first place. +M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom