Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

Ninjerk

Arcane
Finally got around to playing Hong Kong since WL2 is borked. I'm really not a fan of this new Matrix gameplay.:/ Hate the minigame.
Extremely EZ not to engage in the minigame.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Just use the console (Ctr+F1) to avoid Matrix all together. There's ''kill'' button, which also works on ICs. That is what i did in final areas (prosperity tower) to avoid further frustration with the game. I usually did kill destroyers and such. Combat is still ol' matrix combat, but having to avoid those stupid sentinels and then ''hacking'' by doing ''sumthin''. Fuck off!

Crichton

Prophet
You loot an steyr aug with tracer rounds in one of the final missions too. Wasted money :M

Funny thing about that spell, it seems to have broken in a different way. I stole a conjurer's spirit and the conjurer also became an (AI controlled) ally.

Anyway if you already did the Wuxing run it's p. worthless. And her acid fog is still broken, no AP damage being dealt.

I just extracted the plastic man and Gobbet stunned someone with Acid fog so it is doing AP damage some of the time even though there's not -1AP over their heads. It might be sporadic but what I think is happening is that it does AP damage to those initially caught in the blast but not to anyone walking through the cloud subsequently.

eXalted

Arcane
The plastic man extraction is the mission I remember most. I don't know why I exactly liked it. Maybe the rooftop level or the different ways to finish it, I don't know. It just felt nice.

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
For anyone particularly interested (re: anyone with a Racter hardon), this is from the Mike McCain reddit AMA.

Q: Racter from Shadowrun: Hong Kong has become one of my favorite video game characters in recent memory. When the Kickstarter was happening, I was excited to be able have a former Renraku Red Samurai join my crew, and this random rigger guy was just an afterthought. However, after interacting with Racter and reading his thoughts about transhumanism, he won me over.

Great job on him. His character design and writing were both top notch! Who wrote his character/dialogue?

A: That's great! We love hearing about it when characters resonate with people, it's one of the most rewarding things for us to "get right". Andrew McIntosh wrote him and Chris Rogers designed him. I can't really take any credit, in fact Andrew put in some extra time to further flesh out the character just a few weeks before ship.

No comment about a bionic evil genius psychopath resonating with people :M

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finished. Eh, I liked DMS a lot, I absolutely loved Dragonfall but HK is just a disappontment tbh. It feels like a last desperate attempt to milk some more value from the shitty engine.

Sure it's wordy and longwinded but so was Dragonfall and it was still engaging because the writing and story was great. HK story is mostly shit tho. There are great characters and missions (namely Racter and the Gaichu mission) but the story overal...bad dreams, big bad things coming from the other side, something something, whiny sulking Duncan and two trans lesbos. This boring crap don't have shit on dragons.

Plus everything else felt somehow half assed and unsatisfactory. I didn't mind Matrix combat in Dragonfall, here it was hysterically annoying avoiding getting spotted. Add all those minute-long reloads and it's a world of frustration.

I really really hope they get their shit together for the next sequel and DITCH THE FUCKING ENGINE ALREADY. It's so damn sluggish and unresponsive, the interactive elements are so fiddly, everything feels cheap and unatmospheric. C'mon HBS you can do better.

imweasel

Finished it a while ago. The setup for the story was ok, but the writing fell flat. The game is bloated to fuck with shitty dialogue. The areas are a bit larger and the UI has been slightly improved, but otherwise nothing has really improved. Final verdict:

Dragonfall > Dead Man's Switch >> Hong Kong

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't mind the matrix that much, but it didn't feel much better than the previous one. I hated the mini games in there, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

Gord

Arcane
I'm currently replaying it in between some other stuff.
In their attempt to stay within their (self-imposed) limitations of development time, they may have succeeded in releasing a working product in time, but the game would still have needed a few months of additional polish:
  • Pacing in some missions and the hub feels off at times.
  • The story and the writing is alright but many sections are indeed too wordy. E.g. preparing for the next run will often mean 15-30 min of reading and clicking through dialogues with various NPCs if you don't want to just ignore it - and that's without any serious progress in the backstory.
    I like reading and usually don't mind a bit more of it, but here it's too "front-loaded".
  • I liked how combat can be avoided in many situations and how several combat encounters had a small gimmick to them (e.g. the teleporting undead or the electrocuting puddles), but overall difficulty is too easy and a few more and longer encounters wouldn't have hurt either.
  • New Matrix is a step in the right direction, but needs much more work: Make the "stealth" sections TB and/or expand the mechanics, make the brute-force options of the mini-games scale with decking skill such that character skill can be used to circumvent them.
Overall I liked it well enough for a second playthrough, setting, story and characters are competently done, there are some good parts and some not-so-good ones.
HBS should have taken a few more months to iron out the kinks and it might have been on par with DF*smileyface*C. As is, it's a good enough further entry in the SRR games, but not the improvement I had hoped for (at least not across the board). A DC would be nice to see, but is probably unlikely. Let's see what they do with the mini-campaign, however.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
Doubt there will ever be one, but who knows.
Imo, if you liked the previous games you will probably like this one as well.
But don't expect substantial improvements over Dragonfall.

Fredward

Scholar
So what're the chances of them returning to Shadowrun if Mechwarrior takes off?

Lexxx20

Learned
So what're the chances of them returning to Shadowrun if Mechwarrior takes off?

They still have this Necropolis game, as far as I remember. So, I wouldn't expect anything Shadowrun-related at least for a couple of years. Sadly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom