Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Sure, within SR:HK Racter is elevated because the rest is mediocre. But on his own he stands out as well.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Don't really care for Racter. I mean yes, it's a unusual trope in games, the sociopath, but not mad and affable logical positivist (the only interesting twist is that he's not doing it only because he's smart, but because he took 'scientific' measures for it, by storing his aggression elsewhere - even that is Dr. Jekyll all over), but i could see the arc coming from a mile away (especially with that portrait, goddamn). Games are just shit and make you think standard genre tropes are good characterization because you haven't seen them in years. He was however, a nice setting infodump. BTW, learn to recognize those types in real life and you'll be happier.

I liked gaichu better, i guess it's my weeaboo side showing (although the bioware-ish 'now at the very moment of my carefully planned revenge, i only need PC-sempai to disagree with me to change my mind' annoyed me).

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
Auntie seemed to be a master planner, but by the end of the game she doesn't seem all that intimidating and I got the sense my characters could have just packed up and walked away from her influence. I would have liked it more if she tried to entrap the party more and that I would have had options to try and get out of her thumb.

Not only would that have added flavor to the main campaign but it would have been a cool setup for the expansion with Auntie/Yellow Lotus as the antagonists. In reality, someone in Kindly's position would most likely be a semi-delusional sociopath who would be convinced that she's doing you a favor as she completely screws you over. Considering the lengths she goes to in order to you help you in game, you would never stop "owing" her.

I kept hoping that there would be some sort of confrontation with Auntie before the game ends but HBS chose to play up to the myth of the tough but fair organized crime figure who protects the local underclass from the corrupt powers that be.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I don't see why people hates on tropes anyway. Novelty is not always welcomed when its shit. I much prefer a well-done trope (or mythological motif) than a shitty ''new'' and ''shiny'' world/story like half of the shit-games out there like POE.

Gozma

Arcane
I was surprised by Racter for the meta reason that my initial read on him was that he was a tacked on character without significant backstory, since you had to load a different map to talk to him and he seemed like he was mostly filling a game-mechanical party niche as "The Rigger". I also missed Gaichu for a very long time because I just didn't do that mission so that ladder just lead to Racter's pocket dimension. Then I kept talking to him and it got weirder and weirder.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Racter goes "wonderful" or similar when he meets the Queen. And I saw that coming fucking miles away. I knew he'd have that exact same reaction at that exact moment. I just sighed and went along with it.

Just like his unending love for transhumanism and hate of any kind of spiritualism. He's so damn predictable.

PeachPlumage

Cipher
I am putting my playthrough of Hong Kong on hold. I think I feel a slight burn out on the Shadowrun:Returns formula at this point.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I've started a third playthrough. 3.06 seems to have upped the difficulty on hard, or maybe it's because I'm going mage this time.

Screenshots of my character from 2nd playthrough, right before City of Darkness:

nsgfTg3.png
7qknvJY.png
FUTfNpn.png
As you can see, taking the Rifle route (weapon progression AK-97, Grenade Launcher, Monofilament Whip, Prototype Laser, Steyr) I had enough Nuyen to fully cyber up, and buy a Guardian S Drone, with enough Nuyen to buy a 2nd S Drone and 8 Armor clothing as well, and if I sold some of my stashed weapons I'd also have enough for Orthoskin. So there is plenty of Nuyen to get top gear, especially if you go Rifles.

Last edited:

DramaticPopcorn

As you can see, taking the Rifle route (weapon progression AK-97, Grenade Launcher, Monofilament Whip, Prototype Laser, Steyr) I had enough Nuyen to fully cyber up, and buy a Guardian S Drone, with enough Nuyen to buy a 2nd S Drone and 8 Armor clothing as well, and if I sold some of my stashed weapons I'd also have enough for Orthoskin. So there is plenty of Nuyen to get top gear, especially if you go Rifles.
Damn, I was playing cybered out decker and had barely enough.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Where are your skin, brain, etc. slots?
I ended up getting the Orthoskin. You can't reduce essence below 1 so the only way to install like the bio brain (+1 intellect) would mean first replacing auto-load arm with say another S-K skillwire. As you can see I still had 6.5k nuyen to spend, and I also had all the unique weapons in the stash.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
When will we get the update that introduces the Gobbet romance? Or better yet, the Racter one? I feel a burning need to be held in stronk Russian arms.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Stop right there you degenerate fuck.

I think I liked Gobbet the most. She was funny and easy going. Gaichu schtick kinda gets stale after a while but I still favored him over Racter. Duncan and Is0bel didn't even pass the threshold of interestingness.

Last edited:

Calapine

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
dont think he will be interested.

That being said... I could see a plot in which player character fall in love while racter doesnt care/understand that. As a result PC is trying to get closer and in miserable attempts for recognition takes part in few experiments which depending on choices could end up with:
- PC death
- koshei get jealous
- koshei falls in love with PC... which cause racter to loose control of him. This plot line would result in both PC and NPC trying to win him/her/it over
- racter and PC creates new robot which got part of both. PC finally decides that since racter is no longer an option and he cant have children, robot as a baby would do and run away with it.
- during experiments on Racter PC manages to replace some brain-tech-thingy with love-tech-thingy. As a result Racter finally gets in love.. and finally suffers from too much chrome and dies. Koshei in rage brings PC to 1st point...

You forgot:

- Koshei being upgraded into a pleasure-bot...

V_K

Arcane
Gaichu romance could be fun too. You could make a wedding cake out of the trolls family.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom