Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

tjorb

Novice
How the hell? There is a white lock on equipment and Gobbet has only 1 free spell slot (and her stats are so shit - she cannot handle best spells).
Just drag the equipment into a slot, you can replace the locked stuff.

Copper

Savant
Plus you can see all your team's gear in one place at any time, and move items around to your heart's content. Of course, they revert to default every run - the only change I really bothered with was giving D a sniper rifle.

naossano

Cipher
I don't know. Look at Steam achievements, where so few people actually get achievements relating to companions / alternative endings.

Look at people talking about their Mass Effect playthroughs on sites like Shitaku, where they (mainly game journos) talk about characters dying.

That just wouldn't have happened if they had done everything.

I think the filthy casuals just storm through the MQ and they make up the bulk of players.

There is also often few people that succeed the very first quest in some games, and even less reaching the halfway point.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Just drag the equipment into a slot, you can replace the locked stuff.
Mhh, okay. But Gobbet stats suck anyway... 5 Conjuring when main quests start, can't even use Armor III.
And there is definitely not enough funds to buy equipment for all team mates. I barely can afford buying spells for my self - that's probably by design though, specialize and all.

... And "Hard" is still pretty much a joke. What does the difficulty setting change anyway?

Zetor

Arcane
Difficulty mainly affects enemy stats and skillcheck difficulty wherever the devs used it instead of hard-coding the check. edit: never mind about the skillchecks, apparently this time around they decided to scale them with karma instead. /decline

The biggest problem with combat difficulty is the AI: not only is it limited to 1 attack per round with very few exceptions, but it can't formulate any long-term plans (where anything other than "I'll attack runner X this round" counts as long-term). As long as 2+ units aren't clustered together or a unit isn't already flanked - and neither of these should occur if the player is somewhat competent - target selection is random, and will probably switch to a new target each turn, meaning a lot of AP wasted on repositioning as well as no real focus fire / burst damage. It's telling that the only two encounters in the game that are somewhat tactically interesting are the Bad Qi rooftop fight against the mage squad and the end of Whistleblower if you choose to kill every motherfucker on the map.

OTOH I'm pretty sure that if someone was to implement SCS-level AI (it's possible in theory, as long as you support it with triggers), it'd be killing (or at least disabling) a character each turn due to the massive numbers advantage the AI has in most encounters.

Last edited:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I never bothered with the equipment screen of my party besides doling out medpacks occasionally. Mostly because it's unncessary and clunky, but in Hong Kong said screens are also very sluggish for some reason.

cw8

Cipher
Here is a prime example of a fierce and mean-spirited landlady ruling a slum with an iron fist, literally.

Kung Fu Hustle's a comedy film by Stephen Chow. And I suspect the landlady, actress Yuen Qiu, inspired Kindly Cheng.
Duncan's portrait without the goggles has a stark resemblance to Andy Lau.

Just did Gaichu's side mission and this combat music popped, so good:

Cadmus

Arcane
I finished it today. Can somebody please tell me what could have gone differently? Is there a super-optimal ending?
I didn't speak to the Queen, I attacked her through the dialogue and killed her 3 times. After the last kill, Raymond decided to go into some tunnel and close the rift. I went back, gave auntie the data on Tsang, she then went to prison and hanged herself. Raymond is dead. I have no idea how could I have saved him. I decided I didn't like him but everything I did felt natural so I have no idea what I could have done differently. I had only Duncan, the dwarf, Gobblet, Racter and the ghoul. Some girl in the bar started talking to me and seemed she wanted to join I told her to fuck off.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am still having a hard time claiming my rewards/game. I backed with the codex at $50, backer kit tells me I'm a $15 backer. Contacted support about it, they gave me a link to my account and never looked into the pledge discrepancy. Anyone know what I can do to get this fixed? I reeeeeeally want to play...

Gozma

Arcane
It's possible to talk Qian Yi to death and then save Raymond, if you consider that optimal.

Did anyone treat Duncan and Raymond like shit the whole game? Does the writing change to make that work, or do you get railroaded into the same stuff as Nice Loving Child And Sibling?

Deleted member 7219

I finished it today. Can somebody please tell me what could have gone differently? Is there a super-optimal ending?
I didn't speak to the Queen, I attacked her through the dialogue and killed her 3 times. After the last kill, Raymond decided to go into some tunnel and close the rift. I went back, gave auntie the data on Tsang, she then went to prison and hanged herself. Raymond is dead. I have no idea how could I have saved him. I decided I didn't like him but everything I did felt natural so I have no idea what I could have done differently. I had only Duncan, the dwarf, Gobblet, Racter and the ghoul. Some girl in the bar started talking to me and seemed she wanted to join I told her to fuck off.

Read through the previous pages of this thread. We've been talking about the different endings.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
No, Hong Kong is better than Dragonfall. At least as far as Crooked Bee can represent the Codex Consensus (and who else could?).

Cadmus

Arcane
What is the Codex consensus on this is Dragonfall better then Hong Kong?
Dragonfall left me excited, Hong Kong left me tired and glad it was finally over. I don't know why, maybe it's not the game, maybe it's that DF was fresh and new to me.

Gozma

Arcane
I was right on the edge of getting sick of both of them when the games ended. Both had that "We're putting a lot of combat and combat-related drudgery in at the end of the game as though this were a gameplay-driven experience where you could be given a final exam on all the domain skills you've picked up, but actually everything in the game is mastered in about 30 seconds and we should have focused on pacing."

imweasel

Dragonfall left me excited, Hong Kong left me tired and glad it was finally over. I don't know why, maybe it's not the game, maybe it's that DF was fresh and new to me.
Same. I am on what I believe is the last area of the game, but I still haven't touched SR:HK for almost a week. I am just not feeling much incentive to finish it.

Cadmus

Arcane
Same. I am on what I believe is the last area of the game, but I still haven't touched SR:HK for almost a week. I am just not feeling much incentive to finish it.
It was exactly the same with me but I don't know why. I think the exposition is at fault, no interesting skills to learn for a rifle dude, the combat was actually too infrequent and way too easy so that I couldn't enjoy it properly and it never forced me to go all out, I even kept the undead talisman and never got to use it. I liked the story, the art style and almost everything, I just got tired of the game going in circles where most of the time was spent on almost useless dialogues. Maybe I should have skipped them more, dunno. I still think it was a good game.

Ninjerk

Arcane
What is the Codex consensus on this is Dragonfall better then Hong Kong?
What Hong Kong does better tends to be limited in some other way by the game and ultimately brings back beneath the overall quality of Dragonfall.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
the firearms sound effects are still as shitty I see.
I think I'll play myself some STASIS instead.

sstacks

Arcane
Part 4 in my continuing somewhat epic Let's Play of this unfolding lotus blossom (I don't know why I called it that):

Curunír

Novice
The stupid real-time matrix sequences ruin an otherwise good game.

Mostly ignored the matrix. But towards the end you have to do a lenghty matrix sequence (saving Raymond). Well, fuck this crap. I am done with this game. This is nearly as stupid as those awful DX:HR boss battles.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Few questions for people who may have played differently than me:
Are there any consequences for killing/sparing plastic-face? Besides maybe a little more money and different dialogue with Cheng.
And what about the Tsang VP?

Zetor

Arcane
No consequences for plastic-face as far as I know. Dealing with the VP doesn't seem to have any consequences either -- the really critical thing in that mission is whether you do Auntie's optional objective (get incriminating evidence on Josephine Tsang)

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
No consequences for plastic-face as far as I know. Dealing with the VP doesn't seem to have any consequences either -- the really critical thing in that mission is whether you do Auntie's optional objective (get incriminating evidence on Josephine Tsang)
Yeah, but wasn't the incriminating stuff in the VPs computer, that you can only access by killing him? Just wondering if something interesting happens if you spare him.

Zetor

Arcane
Yeah, but wasn't the incriminating stuff in the VPs computer, that you can only access by killing him? Just wondering if something interesting happens if you spare him.
Actually he offered me a deal when I walked in -- he gave me full access to the core systems (allowing me to get the dirt on Tsang) in exchange for finding some financial data he could use to blackmail Tsang himself as well. I took both, gave him the financial data, and left without firing a shot. I don't think this lead to a different outcome than killing him and then jacking into the core system...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom