Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

Septaryeth

Augur
Could the chinese have an entirely different plot or the pitch was made by someone who didn't play it ?

The summary was written before the game is released, source unknown, and it's posted over and over again across multiple sites.

I checked the KS page and didn't find an English translation for this, so I was going to call bullshit since the Asian gaming communities aren't exactly known for their accuracy or honesty.
But you'll never know. Maybe they did this to avoid censorship.:M
Speaking of censorship, now I wonder if the unofficial mandarin would be dropped due to that one sentence, "...as dead as People's Republic of China" or the description of Taiwan.

Apparently, SRR has an official mandarin patch, and SRDF's mandarin patch was called off after the poor sale (so only the menu is translated :lol:)
I don't blame HBS and I doubt the Asian community would contribute much to the sales anyway.
It is a shame though, because I would like to know what they feel about the use of the walled city, feng shue and various cultural elements in SRHK.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Still waiting on the verdict from Asian gaming community.
f22e6ebb11536b2bbea27fcd470b9c25.png

V_K

Arcane
Here is an oddball I picked up from their gaming news. It seems they have a very, very different summary of the story compare to the final products.
Can anyone remember the following description of the game during kickstarter?
They've cut a lot of corners compared to their kickstarter promises, not just in the story department. Though the same thing happened to original SRR, so it should be expected.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, because if you want to know more about a city or country, you play a fucking videogame!
It worked for Twitcher. The Poles even gave it to Obama as a gift, expressing that this was the only thing in importance that they have ever made.

Darkzone

Arcane
Fot the sake of the thread it would be better to let it go, but Owlish got the core of this.

I can't tell you how many SJWs I've come across on their damn Tumblr talking about the evolutionary advantages of psychopathy this or their cool talon-ed cyber feet that. It's a classic shaming tactic. Fucking.
SJW means nothing to you people anymore!
Do not forget besides the "tumbler" mental illnesses the diverse gender shit, like the psycho cyberpony fairy gender.

If you look hard enough you'll find "SJWism" in everything. This also applies to "problematic"- SJWs don't like Shadowrun because of "cultural appropriation" and other imaginary issues.
No that is wrong or only half right. Cultural appropriation in SJW mind is only wrong if whites appropriate other cultures. If a white would tell a black person that he should not appropriate his culture by going into a university, learn medicine and speak english, and should instead live in a hay hut and do some mumbo jumbo in his african language this would be racism for SJW. Which it in a way is and it is also the same stupidity, like the SJWs telling whites not to wear dreadlocks or rap, because it is cultural appropriation.

Nearly all east asian cultures are strong patriarchies (exception: south korea) and watering it down to north american metropolitan standard is a from of cultural marxism, like the unnecessary race culture gender mix in SR:HK. For fuck sake Hong Kong has 93-95 percent of chinese people and 98-99 percent of east asians and how many chinese do we have here in SR:HK? Zero, and only one true east asian is present on the core team from six, that was once a human.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's a shame these games don't do "romances". Was keen for the fixer to want to make you her fuckboy, could have knocked BG2's drow broad (not Viconia, the one you work for when undercover) of its perch for best RPG relationship. A real missed opportunity.

eXalted

Arcane
There was a whole thread like that "review" in the Stem discussions.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only 'romance' that you can get in the game is to the decker convention with your dwarf girlfriend while she constantly gets flustered and screws up while trying to prove that she's the mate you want.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yes, because if you want to know more about a city or country, you play a fucking videogame!

A fucking videogame that takes place in a fantasy dystopia with dragons and ghost kings.

As if when Dragon Fall released you had a bunch of butt sore Germans bitching that that the Goth scene is in fact not filled with Shaman wizards and that there are no orc mercenaries trying to kill people.
Pretty sure it's a troll review though.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Nearly all east asian cultures are strong patriarchies (exception: south korea) and watering it down to north american metropolitan standard is a from of cultural marxism, like the unnecessary race culture gender mix in SR:HK.
Hong Kong has always been the 'outside port city' of China where Westerners could trade, like in Deus Ex. In Shadowrun the corpocracy is more prevalent, so Western corporations establishing base in Hong Kong also implies the transfer of Western employees to Hong Kong (like Dr. Taylor and Hardingham). Not to mention that (Western) shadowrunners are always looking for a job, and some set their eyes on the prosperous city of Hong Kong. It's more or less the prospect of a decent home and job that attracted many people to Hong Kong and the Walled City before it went to complete shit, kind of like what's happening in Europe right now. A large influx of outsiders permanently settling down can cause a change in the existing culture and tradition, but it's kind of extreme to say HK does not resemble a traditional Asian culture when you're seeing it through the viewpoint of a hired outsider mercenary in a terrible place where people are just trying to survive instead of upholding their traditions and values.

For fuck sake Hong Kong has 93-95 percent of chinese people and 98-99 percent of east asians and how many chinese do we have here in SR:HK? Zero, and only one true east asian is present on the core team from six, that was once a human.
How is Gobbet not Asian? Duncan is too, to some extent. Besides, most of the NPCs you interact with outside of corporate runs and washed-up shadowrunners are Asian as well.

Septaryeth

Augur
Nearly all east asian cultures are strong patriarchies (exception: south korea) and watering it down to north american metropolitan standard is a from of cultural marxism, like the unnecessary race culture gender mix in SR:HK. For fuck sake Hong Kong has 93-95 percent of chinese people and 98-99 percent of east asians and how many chinese do we have here in SR:HK? Zero, and only one true east asian is present on the core team from six, that was once a human.

How is Gobbet not Asian? Duncan is too, to some extent. Besides, most of the NPCs you interact with outside of corporate runs and washed-up shadowrunners are Asian as well.

Or maybe Is0bel is not of a Han Chinese origin, that could make a her a Chinese with darker, "tanned-like" skin tone.
They also tend to have deeper complexion than pure Hans.
I'll only start concerning if they claim someone with ebony skin is Chinese.

But fine, I admit I don't know much about the subject and shall not query further. :salute:
One thing I do know though, as much as patriach society goes, you'll be surprised by the number of "strong independent women" appeared in Eastern entertainments.
One of the most popular shows in China right now is about the empress Wu Zetian.
Here is a prime example of a fierce and mean-spirited landlady ruling a slum with an iron fist, literally.

Last edited:

Nael

Arcane
Or maybe Is0bel is not of a Han Chinese origin.

But fine, I admit I don't know much about the subject and shall not query further. :salute:
One thing I do know though, as much as patriach society goes, you'll be surprised by the number of "strong independent women" appeared in Eastern entertainments.
One of the most popular shows in China right now is about the empress Wu Zetian.
Here is a prime example of a fierce and mean-spirited landlady ruling a slum with an iron fist, literally.

Man, that chinese music makes me hahngray.

Well, meta-humans by default are not going to be native Chinese because they can't be.

A lot of the humans you met were Chinese however.

Darkzone

Arcane
Hong Kong has always been the 'outside port city' of China where Westerners could trade, like in Deus Ex. In Shadowrun the corpocracy is more prevalent, so Western corporations establishing base in Hong Kong also implies the transfer of Western employees to Hong Kong (like Dr. Taylor and Hardingham). Not to mention that (Western) shadowrunners are always looking for a job, and some set their eyes on the prosperous city of Hong Kong. It's more or less the prospect of a decent home and job that attracted many people to Hong Kong and the Walled City before it went to complete shit, kind of like what's happening in Europe right now. A large influx of outsiders permanently settling down can cause a change in the existing culture and tradition, but it's kind of extreme to say HK does not resemble a traditional Asian culture when you're seeing it through the viewpoint of a hired outsider mercenary in a terrible place where people are just trying to survive instead of upholding their traditions and values.

Gobbet stories contain to many non chineses and non east-asians and she even doesn't have a chinese name and neither she portrays a person who is true to the chinese culture. And because there have been so many people from outside of china you have only 1%-2% of whites and not east asians in Hong Kong. I admit that the other 4%-5% are also east asians from the philippines and indonesia or thai land. Duncan is from Seattle... like the protagonist. And Is0bel is either a half black or from pakistan or india. So there is only one true identifiable east asian on the team.

Septaryeth
Before i have studied computer sciences, i have studied japanese language and culture and to some extent korean culture. Believe me that the "strong independent women" in eastern entertainments are not a surprise for me, and they do not invalidate my statement.

Gruncheon

Savant
A half nigger half fantasy dwarf woman tech super genius slash action waif raised out of the ghetto, another badass yet quirky woman action waif raised out of the ghetto, both randumb teenagers, 80% of important leaders are women, etc

no tumblr or goon shit there, derp

and you picked the one character he probably wasn't even talking about

You're right. Similarly Annah, the brash young tiefling from a marginalised community forced to steal in by the dictates of the hetero-capitalist society of Sigil, is an obvious SJW statement despite having been created a decade before the term was coined. Shadowrun and cyberpunk has always been concerned with the gap between the underclass and elites, there's nothing SJW about it. You don't have to be a mouth-frothing progressive to come to the conclusion that 'ghettoes are bad and have long-term effects on people'. There's nothing in SRHK that tries to push an agenda. Unless you think that going with a slightly more diverse cast is in it itself a SJW statement. And you'd be wrong if you did.

And Gobbet is well-written. She's meant to be precocious and they carry it off really well. Honestly, what kind of characters would you actually like in RPGs if this game is supposedly filled with SJW shit?

Darkzone

Arcane
You're right. Similarly Annah, the brash young tiefling from a marginalised community forced to steal in by the dictates of the hetero-capitalist society of Sigil, is an obvious SJW statement despite having been created a decade before the term was coined. Shadowrun and cyberpunk has always been concerned with the gap between the underclass and elites, there's nothing SJW about it. You don't have to be a mouth-frothing progressive to come to the conclusion that 'ghettoes are bad and have long-term effects on people'. There's nothing in SRHK that tries to push an agenda. Unless you think that going with a slightly more diverse cast is in it itself a SJW statement. And you'd be wrong if you did.
And Gobbet is well-written. She's meant to be precocious and they carry it off really well. Honestly, what kind of characters would you actually like in RPGs if this game is supposedly filled with SJW shit?
It is the composition of characteristics of the persona, without considering the environment. Annah was not a non-white prodigy born in a ghetto to be raised by a certain society. Annah was still in the ghetto and part of it and her tiefling heritage is nothing out of the ordinary in this environment. While IsObel is a brown person from a chinese ghetto, and therefore she is just for a diversity multicultural reason there and not from a sober prospective and love for the chinese culture. If she would have been chinese or even indonesian or filipino, then this would have been less stupid. Gobbet has so much intersection with chinese culture, as cheese with fucking. So yes in my opinion both characters are shity and shity designed and they do not fit the city. There are many fantastic aspects to the chinese culture that could have been inserted into such a setting, but what we got is more a San Francisco / New York shit.

Gord

Arcane
Man, you should probably get some counsel about those issues you are having.

Anyway, new patch is out:
Core/Engine Bug Fixes
  • General animation fixes and polish
  • Resolved issue that caused Achievement “I Feel Great!” to unlock incorrectly.
  • Resolved issue that caused cosmetic text to be missing from Character Creation screen.
  • Resolved issue that caused incorrect VFX to be used when Laser Rifle missed.
  • Resolved issue that caused some Cyberdecks to fail decking hiring Prerequisites.
  • Resolved issue that could cause some conversations to retain choices after a level Restart.
  • Resolved issue that could result in item loss when the player became the target of the Disarmed ability.
  • Resolved minor UI issues.
  • Minor item tweaks and rebalancing

Content Bug Fixes
  • Clarified the result of subduing Gaichu in the Outsider mission.
  • Resolved edge case issue that could prevent the Exit, Stage Left mission from being completed.
  • Resolved edge-case issue that caused combat to not resolve as expected in the Hard Landing mission.
  • Resolved edge-case issue that could cause combat to continue incorrectly in the Extraction mission.
  • Resolved edge-case issue that could prevent the Misdirection mission from being completed.
  • Resolved issue that caused certain hostiles to have incorrect behaviour in the Whistleblower mission.
  • Resolved issue that caused hostiles to have incorrect behaviour the Bad Qi mission.
  • Resolved issue that caused incorrect crew members to be available for the Extraction and City of Death missions.
  • Resolved issue that caused incorrect dialogue to be shown in Bad Qi mission.
  • Resolved issue that caused Is0bel to respond incorrectly after the City of Darkness mission.
  • Resolved issue that could cause Gobbet to not receive her Trust Mission reward.
  • Resolved issue that could cause incorrect behavior in hostile actors in Prosperity Tower.
  • Resolved issue that could cause Is0bel to briefly lose Mark Target Ability.
  • Resolved issue that could cause some events to trigger in an incorrect order in the Bad Qi mission.
  • Resolved issue that could cause some events to trigger in an incorrect order in the City of Darkness mission.
  • Resolved issue that could cause some incorrect NPCs to spawn in Heoi after a certain point in the story.
  • Resolved issue that could make it difficult to leave The Extraction mission.
  • Resolved issue that could prevent one of the outcomes of the Sinking Ship mission from being accomplished.
  • Resolved issue that could prevent Players from jacking into the Matrix in Bad Qi mission under specific conditions.
  • Resolved issue that could prevent the Prosperity Tower mission to be completed under specific save/load conditions.
  • Resolved issue that prevented DeckCon 2056 optional Pay Data from being sold.
  • Resolved issue that prevented Koschei’s laser from lighting people on fire.
  • Resolved issue that prevented Shangri-La optional paydata from being sold.
  • Resolved issue that prevented the Bad Qi mission from being completed under specific conditions.
  • Resolved issue with not being able to sell the SimSense chip from the City of Darkness mission.
  • Resolved minor grammatical errors and typos.
  • Resolved potential blocking issue in Prosperity Tower if events were completed in a certain order.
  • Other minor bug fixes

Lhynn

Arcane
It is the composition of characteristics of the persona, without considering the environment. Annah was not a non-white prodigy born in a ghetto to be raised by a certain society. Annah was still in the ghetto and part of it and her tiefling heritage is nothing out of the ordinary in this environment. While IsObel is a brown person from a chinese ghetto, and therefore she is just for a diversity multicultural reason there and not from a sober prospective and love for the chinese culture. If she would have been chinese or even indonesian or filipino, then this would have been less stupid. Gobbet has so much intersection with chinese culture, as cheese with fucking. So yes in my opinion both characters are shity and shity designed and they do not fit the city. There are many fantastic aspects to the chinese culture that could have been inserted into such a setting, but what we got is more a San Francisco / New York shit.
You are about the stupidest crap.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I actually finished this last night. It was pretty short.

Like I said earlier, for me, this is the first Shadowrun game that is better than just "eh, whatever". It has a sense of place, for one. The Walled City is memorable, and so are a lot of the situations and characters. SRR and DF were banal bland boring; the Berlin in DF was plastic and dull, and I don't remember a single mission from those two games. Here, however, I enjoyed a lot of the dialogue and scenarios. Yes, a lot of it is uneven, but uneven is better than non-existing. Racter is great, Gobbet and Duncan are okay. Reliable Matthew and Auntie are good enough. This is the first well (and not just competently) written Shadowrun game. The art style looks a bit better this time around, too.

The combat is crap as always, but that was to be expected. The final fight was a joke, but so was Dragonfall's, too, so no big surprise there. Still, not having even a single character anywhere near death in the two stages of the final fight was disappointing.

Spoilery thoughts:

The fact that you could decide the Walled City's fate, and even talk the end boss down in the final stage of the fight, was pretty cool. Judging by the global achievement stats, only 2.8% of the players got the achievement for that, which is pretty amusing. No save the world plot either, which is a good thing. Having to define your background was alright, but unfortunately it had no real bearing in your final interaction(s) with Raymond.

Overall, Hong Kong is good for what it is, but even that is an improvement over the previous games. I wish HBS did a full RPG finally.

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
You are about the stupidest crap.
If you want to insult me or you want to state that i'm wrong in a specific case, then please address this directly, because i take nothing out this comment.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I actually finished this last night. It was pretty short.

Like I said earlier, for me, this is the first Shadowrun game that is better than just "eh, whatever". It has a sense of place, for one. The Walled City is memorable, and so are a lot of the situations and characters. SRR and DF were banal bland boring; the Berlin in DF was plastic and dull, and I don't remember a single mission from those two games. Here, however, I enjoyed a lot of the dialogue and scenarios. Yes, a lot of it is uneven, but uneven is better than non-existing. Racter is great, Gobbet and Duncan are okay. Reliable Matthew and Auntie are good enough. This is the first well (and not just competently) written Shadowrun game. The art style looks a bit better this time around, too.

What was your favourite / most memorable mission from Hong Kong? Are you a fan of the Shadow Run setting in general?
(This isn't a setup for a flame war.. Genuinely curious about your opinion)

The combat is crap as always, but that was to be expected. The final fight was a joke, but so was Daggerfall's, too, so no big surprise there.

Shadowrun: Daggerfall?

Did Bethesda buy the Shadow Run license too? Oh god...

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, I meant Dragonfall. Corrected now. The recent GOG releases had me thinking about Elder Scrolls, is all.

Are you a fan of the Shadow Run setting in general?

Yeah, I like it quite a bit. Which is why I was bummed that HBS' games were so simplistic in the first place. I contributed to the original KS and was extremely disappointed. HK is still simplistic, too, but I like the atmosphere and the writing this time around.

I'd have to think about one favorite mission. I think quite a few of them are fine -- not when it comes to combat, but to ideas and the atmosphere. Combat is a low point in HBS' Shadowrun games.

No need to be afraid of a flame war. That's what we're here for.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yeah, I meant Dragonfall. Corrected now. The recent GOG releases had me thinking about Elder Scrolls, is all.

Yeah, I like it quite a bit. Which is why I was bummed that HBS' games were so simplistic in the first place. I contributed to the original KS and was extremely disappointed. HK is still simplistic, too, but I like the atmosphere and the writing this time around.

I'd have to think about one favorite mission. I think quite a few of them are fine -- not when it comes to combat, but to ideas and the atmosphere. Combat is a low point in HBS' Shadowrun games.

No need to be afraid of a flame war. That's what we're here for.

My favourite mission of all three games was the mission in Hong Kong that involved other shadow runner teams going for the same objective as you and how you could deal with each of them (work together, kill them, trick them).
I felt like that really captured what Shadow Run is.

I was wondering if you felt the same way, or maybe another mission jumped at you more.
Definitely the open ended way to resolving each mission in general was a huge plus over the previous two games. Many could be completed with little or no fighting if you wanted.. or just blowing shit to hell if you wanted. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom