Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Update #2: Initial stretch goals met, new stretch goals announced

joelofdeath

Educated
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's pretty simple - if people back a project on day 1, they're not around to back it on day 2!
Yup, so my point is, even if it seems to be running at a similar speed to original SR, it's likely this effect of people jumping in quicker is inflating day 1 numbers, and so the trajectory will be more shallow from here. Equals less funding at the end.

Meh, will see what happens.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, I don't see it making 1.5 now. It'll still break a mil and get a couple of good stretch goals we haven't seen yet. Good enough for a poke.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Perhaps they consider 700000$ a relatively early stretch-goal?

Otherwise I don't see the big difference between:

500k goal.
700k most enticing stretch goal.

and

100k goal.
700k most enticing stretch goal.

As somebody mentioned, some people like to see those stretch goals getting met. That's easier with an initially low goal. It also gives people a sense of what they're achieving with their donations. (Whether this really depicts reality is another (and IMO uninteresting) question.) *shrug*
Have you considered that you are not the only backer and other people might find the other goals enticing?

Athelas

Arcane
Yeah, more emotionally engaging companions is probably a better stretch goal for a lot of people.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also, there are mechanical improvements with initial goal, 400k, and 700k. Chrome was pretty weak and I think that was an enticing goal too.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Stretch goals are, as noted, just manufactured to make backers feel good about their pledge and potential backers see progress. $100k base amount is laughably low -- as if they'd be able to produce this on that budget. Wouldn't pay salaries for a month.

set

Cipher
Stretch goals are, as noted, just manufactured to make backers feel good about their pledge and potential backers see progress. $100k base amount is laughably low -- as if they'd be able to produce this on that budget. Wouldn't pay salaries for a month.
If you read the basis of the project, they are basically saying the project is already funded and will be finished this year regardless of KS. The funding is for additional content. $100k+ for the features they mention is a little pricey, I think they could provide some of the content <$50k a piece, but it's not an insufficient amount of money by a long stretch.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It says it's 'budgeted' not funded. That choice of words is pretty telling.

set

Cipher
It says it's 'budgeted' not funded.
The video indicates that the game will launch this year and this video is saying this before the thing is even funded by KS. Being "budgeted" means they have the budget to budget it with.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Have you considered that you are not the only backer and other people might find the other goals enticing?
Have you considered that I was answering a post and might personally not have any interest in the Matrix? That perhaps that was a hypothetical discussion about KS strategies and the example numbers were just examples?
Sry, for all the rhethoric questions. Of course you haven't. We know that.

Btw, so far moar Cyber is most enticing to me.

Morkar Left

Regarding the additional partymembers I think they are interesting but I would have preferred if they had added different content. Now you have a bunch of partymembers who will just sit around doing nothing the whole game because of party limit while the rest is out on the adventure. I can't stand that.

naossano

Cipher
Actually, i don't mind more party member.
It is partially frustrating, as you don't get to bring everyone with you, but the fact that you have to choose who will come for each mission increase the replayability.

But i mind seeing them as stretching goals as those guys are supposed to be there in the first place. It is expected after Dragonfall.

Anyway, we can safely bet that the 450 000K goal will be reached in the next couple of hours.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Your Animatic Scene Transitions will have voiceovers… so will the whole game have voiceovers? Can that be a funding goal?

Nope. While we’re excited about doing interstitial animatics with voice-over narration, we feel that fully voicing our game would take away from the “theatre of the mind” experience that we brought you with Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall. We want playing through Shadowrun: Hong Kong to feel more like getting lost in a good book than it does watching a movie - when you’re having a team conversation, we want you to hear your Gobbet, not ours.

Will pledge more just because of them phrasing it like that.

:takemymoney:

Athelas

Arcane
There is nothing wrong with having a few voiced lines for a companion (provided the voice acting isn't terrible).

Starwars

Arcane
While I'm not really that much against partial voiceacting (like the IE games), I have to say that I really enjoyed that the two Shadowrun games so far just didn't have any at all.

I hope that the narration will be good, but I also hope that it won't mean that they'll eventually walk the path of adding more voiceacting (regardless of what they say now). I actually find it a bit of a blessing to just have text in these rather wordy games. And like they say, I have my own version of how the characters sound in my head.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
About to hit next stretch goal
:bounce:

c4b5aa995f5c7055fec71557bdb05023_large.jpg

Vikter

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Any romance options yet? If not, pass
I'm backing 35 dollars and hoping that they make it open world and require you to do mandatory optional shard collecting to advance the story. That will be great.

Now, on topic... this will be my first time backing a project on KS. Should I back only 35 or should I go for 75? 75 comes with the three games, and I will be so proud if they manage to make exactly 700,000 and say they just did it because of extra 75 dollars that I donated. That would be great. I don't know...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom