Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Update #18: Expanded Magic System Overview

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Harebrained Schemes; Shadowrun: Hong Kong

In the week since our last newspost about it, the Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter has continued its slow ascent, and it now has almost 850,000 dollars of funding. The Kickstarter updates during that time were for the most part fairly uninteresting behind-the-scenes sneak peeks, but today's update breaks the trend by describing some of the game's new mechanics in detail - namely, its expanded magic system. I quote:

Trevor King-Yost here.

I’ve worked on the design of all of our Shadowrun games here at HBS, most recently as Design Lead on the Director’s Cut of Dragonfall. Today, I’m going to spill some our newest additions to Magic for the trip to Hong Kong - “Dual Effect” spells and Dragon Lines.

Dual Effect Spells

Until recently, spells could only really work “one-way”. They were either an attack, a buff, or a debuff. During our pre-production phase, we prototyped some new features for magic spells and cyberware that will create more interesting effects and outcomes. Spells can now have an affect on both the caster as well as the target.

For example, we had the “Slow” spell in previous games, which reduced the target’s AP. Now we can make a similar spell that also adds that AP to your character, acting much like the “Haste” buff. This also lets us create enemies like Blood Mages who can steal HP from their enemies to heal themselves.

With the limited number of spell slots a character can bring on a given run, more spells can now pull their weight by providing dual effects. This functionality allows us to make more unique character abilities for your crew as well.

For instance, Gaichu, the ghoul Runner, has a Bite attack. After biting an enemy, he gains a healing effect, his strength increases, and his melee damage is boosted. This functionality is also used in a more behind-the-scenes way to create Gaichu’s stance-based sword combos, where each attack leads to a different one in sequence. The feature lets us add a “marker” effect to Gaichu to track which attack was performed last.

This work also gives Gobbet, our crew’s Rat Shaman, the ability to manipulate spirits, adding more tactical options to each fight. On her Spiritualist advancement path, she gains the ability to steal control of enemy spirits and turn them against their former masters. This path culminates in an ability to consume spirits, removing them from play in exchange for a buff.

Ley Lines vs. Dragon Lines

In Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall, Ley Lines had certain effects on spellcasting - reducing cool down and increasing the power of spells while standing in that tile. In Hong Kong, Ley Lines are known as “Dragon Lines” - powerful paths of magic that some say hold the secrets of the great dragons themselves.

Dragon Lines work differently than Ley Lines did in our previous games. We’re planning to have a bit more variation and different types of lines. Some lines can heal you when you successfully cast a spell while standing on them, while others amplify the effects on your targeted enemy. We’ll see what other kinds of variations we can come up with when the feature is fully implemented.

There’s still more new magic to come that we haven’t built yet, as well. We hope you enjoy these new magical abilities in Shadowrun: Hong Kong, whether you are playing as a Mage, a Shaman, or just running with Gobbet in your team.
Nice. More stuff like this please, HBS - we do love our crunchy bits.

zero29

Arbiter
hm, variation is fine, but the effects of those dragon lines will still be predetermined, right? why not tying their effect to the your magic stats, e.g. like this:

willpower - reduced spell cooldowns
spellcasting - increased spell damage
chi casting - enhanced passive effects
charisma - chance to regain the ap used for spirit maintenance
spirit summoning - stronger totem effect
spirit control - second chance to keep a spirit under your control
conjuring - longer buff duration

or apply the same boni individually for every magic type, e.g. like this:

3. skill level - stronger spells
6. skill level - reduced cooldowns
9. skill level - lowered ap consumption

quite a bit harder to balance properly, of course, but - aside from giving you more options to customize your gameplay - it would also mean that the more karma a character has invested in magic skills the stronger a dragon line's effect will be. which makes sense i guess.

naossano

Cipher
I get that this is a revolution for them, a revolution for the engine, but i don't feel warmed up by the addition of dual effect spells.
It just call to my attention that they weren't in the two previous campaigns... Something that, from a customer POV doesn't seems like something hard to implement...

DeepOcean

Arcane
I get that this is a revolution for them, a revolution for the engine, but i don't feel warmed up by the addition of dual effect spells.
It just call to my attention that they weren't in the two previous campaigns... Something that, from a customer POV doesn't seems like something hard to implement...
I reacted this way too when they announced they would revamp the armor system and cover mechanics on the Directors cut and that ended making a fucking big difference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom