Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong Pre-Release Discussion [GO TO NEW THREAD]

How much HBS is going to get for his Hong Kong campaign ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There’s this interesting thing that we’re doing now, based on feedback from the audience. We’re allowing you to move in and out of turn-based mode at your command, so that you can position yourself before you open a door, for example, to enter combat. So you’re entering combat with your brick in front and your long-range guy in the back, that kind of thing.

Oh fuck yes.

agris

Arcane
Patron
RPS: Darkheart says “Haven’t had the chance to play Dragonfall, yet, so I don’t know if it changed by now, but what greatly irked me was the lack of a loot system. That’s kinda half of RPG fun missing for me at least. Will this be rethunk in the Hong Kong iteration?”

Mitch: So we’re not just revamping a loot system or something like that, because it’s really not part of the Shadowrun setting. First of all, you don’t get experience points for killing people, you get what we call Karma for completing objectives or doing things cleverly. For example, in Dragonfall, there are more things to find, more things that drop during the game, but one of the things we’re adding in Hong Kong is the ability to when you pick up something that’s been dropped, you can assign it to any one of your team members. The ability to swap inventory items between your team mates, we’re giving you much more control of that as well.

Jordan: In Shadowrun, we don’t think picking random stuff up off the floor is a lot of fun. So everything that drops on the floor is actually useful in some more significant way.

Mitch: There’s stuff to find though in the game. By searching you can find things, which is more of a Shadowrun thing.
While the question was poorly framed, I think Mitch and Jordan missed the point. We don't want more trash items to sell, we want real itemization. The current itemization system, specifically weapons, lacks any real trade-offs when choosing gear (except for some armors). If you have Pistols at level 7, there is a single dominant pistol at that skill level. Same goes for all classes of weapons, with only the cyber-enabled variants giving a paltry +5% accuracy. We want multiple items at a given power tier with various benefits and drawbacks. I think that's what is being asked for here when they say "loot", not "picking shit up and selling it". DF:DC made a baby-step in this direction with the unique taser and pistol, but there could be a lot variants of weapons that aren't clearly superior to other offerings.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPS: Darkheart says “Haven’t had the chance to play Dragonfall, yet, so I don’t know if it changed by now, but what greatly irked me was the lack of a loot system. That’s kinda half of RPG fun missing for me at least. Will this be rethunk in the Hong Kong iteration?”

Mitch: So we’re not just revamping a loot system or something like that, because it’s really not part of the Shadowrun setting. First of all, you don’t get experience points for killing people, you get what we call Karma for completing objectives or doing things cleverly. For example, in Dragonfall, there are more things to find, more things that drop during the game, but one of the things we’re adding in Hong Kong is the ability to when you pick up something that’s been dropped, you can assign it to any one of your team members. The ability to swap inventory items between your team mates, we’re giving you much more control of that as well.

Jordan: In Shadowrun, we don’t think picking random stuff up off the floor is a lot of fun. So everything that drops on the floor is actually useful in some more significant way.

Mitch: There’s stuff to find though in the game. By searching you can find things, which is more of a Shadowrun thing.
While the question was poorly framed, I think Mitch and Jordan missed the point. We don't want more trash items to sell, we want real itemization. The current itemization system, specifically weapons, lacks any real trade-offs when choosing gear (except for some armors). If you have Pistols at level 7, there is a single dominant pistol at that skill level. Same goes for all classes of weapons, with only the cyber-enabled variants giving a paltry +5% accuracy. We want multiple items at a given power tier with various benefits and drawbacks. I think that's what is being asked for here when they say "loot", not "picking shit up and selling it". DF:DC made a baby-step in this direction with the unique taser and pistol, but there could be a lot variants of weapons that aren't clearly superior to other offerings.

It wasn't poorly framed, it was just dumb. (RPS gonna RPS)

Speaking of which, Angthoron, we did want to do an interview too, didn't we? ^_^

Maybe you should we get some more questions from the Kodex Kommunity in this thread.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Am I the only ones jonesing for better itemization? Something like DF:DC with Baldur's Gate-level gear selection options would be amazing.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
RPS: draglikepull says “I loved a lot of the improvements in Dragonfall, but the game also had some really long, repetitive combat sequences. Have they given any thought to splitting up some of the longer combat-oriented segments of SR: Hong Kong with some exploration or story in the middle?”

Mitch Gitelman (Harebrained Schemes co-founder): Yes, absolutely. We recognise that some combats had some pacing issues, and we are actively breaking it up into smaller, bite-size chunks.
:x

RPS: Danarchist says “In Dragonfall I found it very difficult to acquire enough resources for some of the longer missions. Most specifically having enough medkits and summons in my inventory to get through the entire mission. When I hit the lab this became especially troublesome and I had to restart from an earlier save. Basically would it be possible to make inventory items like medkits etc stack, or could alternative/optional income sources be added so we do not have a finite amount of creds available?”
Haha oh wow.

Am I the only ones jonesing for better itemization? Something like DF:DC with Baldur's Gate-level gear selection options would be amazing.
No, I think the codex universally agrees itemization sucks in the Shadowrun games.

Last edited:

imweasel

Nope, you're not the only one, I also think that itemization could be improved. Unique or very rare items as quest rewards would great.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Ok, thanks. I actually modified my reply to Infini's post of the RPS article and took it to the KS comments. Maybe we'll hear from HBS.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Dunno why people keep saying that looting is not part of shadowrun... it's a computer rpg, compromises are always made for better playability and enjoyment... looting = fun.

Sykar

Arcane
Nope, you're not the only one, I also think that itemization could be improved. Unique or very rare items as quest rewards would great.

God no, not this shit.

Dunno why people keep saying that looting is not part of shadowrun... it's a computer rpg, compromises are always made for better playability and enjoyment... looting = fun.

It doesn't fit Shadowrun at all and they already do plenty of compromises. Loot is also boring, since 99% of all loot in the majority of games is either superfluous or outright junk.

RPS: VexingVision says “Please ask them about branching plotlines. Will the new plot be as rail-roady as the other SR Modules?”

Jordan: One of the things we’re extremely focused on is more content. One of the reasons we’re careful about responding to requests for more feature sets is we want more content, and more content means less linearity. With Dragonfall we took that next to step to less linear, and with this one we’ll take that step even further to less linear. It’s not an open world game, it’s never going to be GTA, but in terms of more branches and choices for a player to move down, we are incrementally getting better and better.

:brodex:

Kem0sabe

Arcane

God no, not this shit.

It doesn't fit Shadowrun at all and they already do plenty of compromises. Loot is also boring, since 99% of all loot in the majority of games is either superfluous or outright junk.

A lot of the fun in an rpg is developing your character, and loot is one of most fun ways for me to do it, even HBS recognises that itemization in the game is one of its weakest points, its another step to add drop-able weapons and items.

And why doesnt it fit to have your runner pick up a weapon upgrade from a dead security guard instead of picking it up from a crate in the first two games?

zero29

Arbiter
... Unique or very rare items as quest rewards would great.
they already did that in dfdc, with custom weaponry (e.g. eigers steyr aug csl) and unique cyberware like the adrenal contractor from the schockwellenreiter.

i always thought of paydata as the typical shadowrun loot and with a revamped matrix this system could be expanded quite a bit.

Sykar

Arcane

God no, not this shit.

A lot of the fun in an rpg is developing your character, and loot is one of most fun ways for me to do it, even HBS recognises that itemization in the game is one of its weakest points, its another step to add drop-able weapons and items.

And why doesnt it fit to have your runner pick up a weapon upgrade from a dead security guard instead of picking it up from a crate in the first two games?

No one needs items to develop a character, plenty of other methods available. Seeing how items also ruin the game balance or make it quite a bit more difficult to balance them I'd rather have a lot of options directly from my character stats instead of magical nonsense stuff. It already irritates me that they have clothing and armor with magical bonus out of nowhere for no good reason.
Itemization is also not the weakest part of SRR. Matrix still is.

God no, not this shit.
Care to elaborate?

Will ruin the atmosphere. Already irritates me that they included clothing with magical boni out of thin air. I actually like that SRR is not about getting the uber loot. Your character should be deadly in his or her own merit, not because you god UBARR00XXOR cannon XTZ101. -.-

Gord

Arcane
Will ruin the atmosphere. Already irritates me that they included clothing with magical boni out of thin air. I actually like that SRR is not about getting the uber loot. Your character should be deadly in his or her own merit, not because you god UBARR00XXOR cannon XTZ101. -.-

In a cyberpunk game you should absolutely have characters that are deadly because they have a UBARR00XXOR cannon, or a DOOMHAMMER XT MURDERKILL cyberarm or whatever.
They should have the skill to use it, of course, but it fits the setting.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane

God no, not this shit.

No one needs items to develop a character, plenty of other methods available. Seeing how items also ruin the game balance or make it quite a bit more difficult to balance them I'd rather have a lot of options directly from my character stats instead of magical nonsense stuff. It already irritates me that they have clothing and armor with magical bonus out of nowhere for no good reason.
Itemization is also not the weakest part of SRR. Matrix still is.

God no, not this shit.
Care to elaborate?

Play the pnp game then, if you are looking 1:1 mechanics, then computer rpg's are not for you.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, it's true that equipment also plays an important role in P&P Shadowrun. If you're a naked street sam with all your cyberware magically disabled, you're not much of a street sam anymore.
Then again, very good equipment is not really hard to acquire, even for starting PCs. Once you have a couple of assault rifles, combat armor and apds rounds, you're not really wanting for anything more.
Some very rare foci or top notch bioware :)O) that can slightly reduce the essence cost are the only improvements you will be able to find. Not very game-changing. In that sense, looting in shadowrun indeed doesn't make much sense. Finding a weird and unpredictable protoype weapon/implant/... at the end of an high-level run, that might be more interesting.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Play the pnp game then, if you are looking 1:1 mechanics, then computer rpg's are not for you.

Or for you. Beautiful argument that works both ways. Especially when crpg being close to PnP is a bad thing :retarded:

Is not getting money as loot enough? Do you need to gather 123 random crap pistols to sell at the shop and get the money anyway? Or is it an atrocity that shop has the best items, because we all know that best items *have* to be found during missions/quests.

Loot drops in most RPGs (not talking about Diablo-likes that are all about loot) is just a unnecessary timesink. Go pick up, repeat, go to shop, sell junk. I'd rather have a longer kist of stuff to buy or some unique pieces as a reward for doing the run exceptionally well (optional paths during run) than run around and collect loot like an idiot.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Or for you. Beautiful argument that works both ways. Especially when crpg being close to PnP is a bad thing :retarded:

Is not getting money as loot enough? Do you need to gather 123 random crap pistols to sell at the shop and get the money anyway? Or is it an atrocity that shop has the best items, because we all know that best items *have* to be found during missions/quests.

Loot drops in most RPGs (not talking about Diablo-likes that are all about loot) is just a unnecessary timesink. Go pick up, repeat, go to shop, sell junk. I'd rather have a longer kist of stuff to buy or some unique pieces as a reward for doing the run exceptionally well (optional paths during run) than run around and collect loot like an idiot.

I'm not talking about diablo level of loot, im interested in some enemies dropping a unique item you can use. Does it make sense to face grenade throwing enemies and not be able to replenish your own grenades unless they are looted from a container? If you can scavenge some items for example, it would make sense.

V_K

Arcane
Haven't you people already got enough loot hoarding in DOS, MMX and, basically, any other game released in past 10 years at least? Would it really hurt you that much if this one series stays free from that shit?

zero29

Arbiter
A lot of the fun in an rpg is developing your character, and loot is one of most fun ways for me to do it,...
for quite some players a lot of the fun in a rpg is killing enemies and getting xp for that... :troll:

It already irritates me that they have clothing and armor with magical bonus out of nowhere for no good reason.
now you're being unfair. a setting full of arcane magic and futuristic tech is a very good reason to find stat/skill modifiers on equipment. and i wouldn't be surprised if those can be found in the pnp sourcebooks, too.

Sykar

Arcane

In a cyberpunk game you should absolutely have characters that are deadly because they have a UBARR00XXOR cannon, or a DOOMHAMMER XT MURDERKILL cyberarm or whatever.
They should be able to use it, of course, but it fits the setting.

But not if it's the ONLY one in the game and makes you a demi god compared to all others. SR should try to stay relatively fair and not make you into a demi god who walks into the room and blasts away the opposition in 2-4 rounds like it's the case with most cRPGs.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

But not if it's the ONLY one in the game and makes you a demi god compared to all others. SR should try to stay relatively fair and not make you into a demi god who walks into the room and blasts away the opposition in 2-4 rounds like it's the case with most cRPGs.

Have you actually played DMS and DF? The karma is so abundant and the AI is so retarded that there is no semblance of balance, your team are indeed demi gods walking around shooting stuff in the face for giggles.

Sykar

Arcane
A lot of the fun in an rpg is developing your character, and loot is one of most fun ways for me to do it,...
for quite some players a lot of the fun in a rpg is killing enemies and getting xp for that... :troll:

It already irritates me that they have clothing and armor with magical bonus out of nowhere for no good reason.
now you're being unfair. a setting full of arcane magic and futuristic tech is a very good reason to find stat/skill modifiers on equipment. and i wouldn't be surprised if those can be found in the pnp sourcebooks, too.

As someone who played 2nd Ed. P&P that enchanting stuff was hugely expensive and not every Shadowrunner shmuck was running around with it, most never saw one in their entire career, except for fetishes which yielded only a minor bonus to one particular spelll. There were no magical cloths and armor whatsoever and if it existed it was in the possession of someone you never wanted to cross. Dragons or immortal Elves, both very bad news. There is already plenty of upgrades available via Cyberware and soon through magical foci for the magic users.

Have you actually played DMS and DF? The karma is so abundant and the AI is so retarded that there is no semblance of balance, your team are indeed demi gods walking around shooting stuff in the face for giggles.

Late game, yeah, earlier like the graveyard was not a walk in the park, especially on very hard. Which is why I consider late game in DMS a steep decline. You really want to add some "UBARR00XX0R" loot crap to that so it gets even easier? :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom