Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter is LIVE

Athelas

Arcane
You did. Unless something is buggy, changing a feature isn't really a case of fixing something in the strictest sense.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
You did. Unless something is buggy, changing a feature isn't really a case of fixing something in the strictest sense.

Read what I said, I'm not talking about bugs.

I'm referring to the fact that developers' constant attempts to fix nonexistent problems in their games over the years just led to worse and worse RPG's being made; I'd rather just get more of the same shit, providing its good. Hence, happily supporting a campaign like this.

Athelas

Arcane
Read what I said, I'm not talking about bugs.

I'm referring to the fact that developers' constant attempts to fix nonexistent problems in their games over the years just led to worse and worse RPG's being made; I'd rather just get more of the same shit, providing its good. Hence, happily supporting a campaign like this.
It was perfectly obvious what you meant. However, you seem to imply 'trying to fix what isn't broken' is the only way in which an RPG can fall short. I was pointing out that some people would like new things (i.e. a stealth system), which is something else than changing existing features.

Your distinction between 'more of the same' and 'fix what isn't broken' is a false dichotomy - an RPG sequel can introduce a new feature and still be good (or even better), i.e. BG 2 introducing a subsystem of spell battles, Fallout New Vegas introducing faction reputation mechanics, etc.

throwaway

Cipher
I don't really get what all the fuss is about. Granted, I ve yet to find time for either of the previous campaigns but with the first game being so light that it was fairly widely described as like a child's first RPG and this Hong Kong kickstarter being a 12h, developed within a year, funded for relative peanuts I m getting an image of a Fable-like affair.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
2d9ba27bdc8efa8bed9a07eb58a84712_large.jpg

I don't really get what all the fuss is about. Granted, I ve yet to find time for either of the previous campaigns but with the first game being so light that it was fairly widely described as like a child's first RPG and this Hong Kong kickstarter being a 12h, developed within a year, funded for relative peanuts I m getting an image of a Fable-like affair.

Play Dragonfall (also developed within several months) and come back to us.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
It was perfectly obvious what you meant. However, you seem to imply 'trying to fix what isn't broken' is the only way in which an RPG can fall short. I was pointing out that some people would like new things (i.e. a stealth system), which is something else than changing existing features.

Your distinction between 'more of the same' and 'fix what isn't broken' is a false dichotomy - an RPG sequel can introduce a new feature and still be good (or even better), i.e. BG 2 introducing a subsystem of spell battles, Fallout New Vegas introducing faction reputation mechanics, etc.

Actually, I made no suggestion that it's the only way - again, reread what I said. That's entirely an assumption on your part. You're being contrary for its own sake here. A simple statement in support of slam dunk RPG releases is not worth a semantic argument.

Morkar Left

They constantly improved the games. It's a pretty good step from Returns to Dragonfall to the Dragonfall DC. Even for Returns they managed to implement cyberspace and an editor. In the kickstarter now they are fixing more things people wanted to improve like a proper inventory and and initiating tb mode by the player.

Okay, I would like to see more open ended gameplay with a wider distribution of skills for further campaigns or to allow to combine campaigns but overall they listen to the fans.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't think they'll make the $400,000 in 28 hours like SSR but still impressed by this KS:

Soooo close...

Posted by Harebrained Schemes LLC

Our first Kickstarter for Shadowrun Returns funded at $400,000 in 28 hours. Can we beat that by 2pm Pacific time? Looks like it's gonna be tight!

Think we can get a quick surge this hour?

Help us beat the drum and get the word out by sharing the Kickstarter link anywhere you connect to social media (using the hashtag #shadowrunHK) - Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Tumblr, your blog…. smoke-signals...

And regardless of the timing, we can't wait to hit that $400,000 funding goal so everyone can play with Gaichu. He'll be a really cool addition to your crew of runners. Gaichu has two Growth Tracks: the Red Samurai Track & the Ghoul Track.

Let's hope he gets unlocked!

Diablo169

Arcane
Is January a good month for crowd funding I wonder? I know a lot of people are hurting for money after spending far too much money on their hellspawn at Christmas.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
First project I've backed since serpent. I always wonder when the kickstarter magic will fade. 2014 was so good though, and I'm glad to see it hasn't with HBS. At least with KS I can pretend backing is something more noble than being a bitch that preorders. Can't wait to hear potential inxile and obsidian pitches this year.

Disgruntled

Savant
I loved Dragonfall, so if they give me a new chapter in the same cool engine, with slight improvements, I would buy these 12 hours stories for 15 bucks for a dozen times. I don't need them to reinvent the wheel as long as they produce a good rpg.

I dont need them to reinvent the wheel either but it looks like 100k buys 80% of the expansion. The other 20% is stretched out in an extra 600k which seems unnecessary. While I loved Dragonfall, I was craving for more. A multi-hub epic with greater options and progression. They can use the same engine and assets but expand on everything else.
This is what I would pledge towards, while Hong Kong is something I can only support to get access for a playthrough.

Of course the extra money would not necessarily divvy into Hong Kong exclusively given the simple stretchgoals, but knowing its funding a long campaign down the line and not whatever else Harebrained has planned is what Id prefer.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I dont need them to reinvent the wheel either but it looks like 100k buys 80% of the expansion. The other 20% is stretched out in an extra 600k which seems unnecessary. While I loved Dragonfall, I was craving for more. A multi-hub epic with greater options and progression. They can use the same engine and assets but expand on everything else.
This is what I would pledge towards, while Hong Kong is something I can only support to get access for a playthrough.

Of course the extra money would not necessarily divvy into Hong Kong exclusively given the simple stretchgoals, but knowing its funding a long campaign down the line and not whatever else Harebrained has planned is what Id prefer.
100k + what the developer is putting in. 0 dollars on ks would have "bought" a 12 hour expansion.

;

Educated
Is January a good month for crowd funding I wonder? I know a lot of people are hurting for money after spending far too much money on their hellspawn at Christmas.

Dec-Feb is historically the slump period for Kickstarter, this year being no different. But then again it could be self-fulfilling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom