Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter is LIVE

Blackstaff

Arbiter
Interesting article on Pcgamer :

http://www.pcgamer.com/harebrained-schemes-reveals-shadowrun-hong-kong/

==> The leylines will go wild
==> Your reputation will count.
==> MOre exploration than Dragonfall. Open up earlier.
==> Better looking game without tablets
==> They are aiming for a 20 hours game with a successful KS. So I guess a 30-40 hours for players on very hard.
==> Even more crewmembers, with differents motivations.

Overall, it's :martini: INCLINE !

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm glad they're going the 'Larian route' of asking for funds to improve a game they're already working on, and focusing on PC and ditching tablets. And no early bird tier. I hope if the funding goes crazy they go with an expansion again.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sung to the tune of New York, New York...
~Starrrrrt spreading the newssssss~
...~They're launching...toooodayyyyy~
~I want to BE a part of it...Shadowrun! HONG KOOOOONG!~
~These steel toed shoes...~
~Are longing to paaaaaay...~
~Right at the very START of it~
~SHADOWRUN! HOOOONG KONG!~

himmy

Arcane
Well, that explains the uninspired stretch goals. The game's already in production, so they can only add what is essentially fluff and polish, hence several stretch goals for cut scenes.

They could have easily attached the cut scenes to a higher stretch goal, but I'm fairly sure they decided to add them as separate ones, going from 50k to 50k, rather than 100k to 100k, because people just FUCKING LOVE seeing stretch goals being passed. Just look at how giddy people are in this thread about it. They could have made a large stretch goal at 300k and another on at 500k, but it just wouldn't have been as fun, and it would have looked as "less successful". It's just good Kickstarting and I expect that the next batch of stretch goal will also have smaller, quirky ones, rather than larger ones. That also means that later in the campaign it will be easier to convince people to increase their pledge because "we're almost at the next one, guys, come on!"

10/10 for how this pitch was handled until now.

Blackstaff

Arbiter
The list of next stretch goal just got delivered : the Gaichu dude, the foci in the revamped magic and the new matrix smell strongly of incline.

Not sure what I feel about the cyber stuff. It's a nice balance feature, but it's a little far away from the pen and paper and I don't really see the logic behind it...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm pretty sure 3 of them are the personal side missions of the other party members.

42ab7957556ebf58aad1a51fa56d7484_large.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
  • $350,000 - More better sound! We can only describe smells (for now) but we can definitely improve on our audio. Dynamic combat music will ebb and flow as a battle progresses, providing more atmosphere and tension. Enhanced Ambient Sound is a catch-phrase for lots of technical babble about making your play environment sound more real and less repetitive.
  • $400,000 - Gaichu joins your team of runners! Gaichu was a member of the Renraku Corporation's elite Red Samurai security force. Infected with the Human Meta-Human Vampiric Virus (HMHVV) on a mission gone wrong, he was forced to abandon his pure-human unit as the virus slowly twisted him into a ghoul. Now a shadowrunner, Gaichu could prove a valuable ally, but his loyalty comes at a price…
25b3c20dcdc51be002af0715c91e3191_large.png

• $450,000 - Enhanced Cyber! If this goal is reached, we'll add a new skill to our character creation system that enhances a character's cyberware and unlocks the ability to install powerful new cybernetic enhancements. This system will further differentiate characters with 'ware from their flesh and blood counterparts. We'll also add cyberweapons that you can install into your characters' arm slots, complete with new animations and visual effects.
  • $500,000 - Is0bel's personal side mission! Born to immigrant parents of Somali descent, Is0bel has experienced life in the slums of Kowloon first-hand. Escaping at a young age, she retreated into the cold perfection of the Matrix, but her family still languishes in the depths of the sprawl. Her personal mission will take her back to a place that she barely escaped from - and you'll come along for the ride.
  • $550,000 - Expanded magic! If we hit this funding goal, we’ll add new gameplay options and equipment for magic-using characters. Shamans will gain the ability to summon Shrine Spirits at specific locations in the Hong Kong environment. These great-form spirits are far more powerful than their mundane counterparts, can’t break away from your control, but are limited in duration. Hermetic mages and physical adepts will gain access to Foci - enchanted weapons and objects that can boost a spellcaster’s magical power or allow an adept to deliver devastating magical attacks.
  • $600,000 - Gaichu’s personal side mission! When Gaichu became infected with HMHVV, the Red Samurai code that he'd sworn to demanded that he take his own life. Instead, he took to the shadows, dishonoring himself and the rest of his team in the process. In Gaichu's personal mission, you will square off against a squad of highly-trained warriors who will stop at nothing to destroy their old teammate... and you alongside him.
  • $700,000 - Revamped Matrix: Art and Gameplay! If we hit this goal, we'll add more people to the team to revise the look, feel, and gameplay of the Matrix. We want the Matrix to feel more like you're traveling in the digital world. We also want to add new types of Intrusion Countermeasures and new ways of interacting with them so that decking feels more like an illegal entry into someone's system.

himmy

Arcane
Zach Welhouse (RPGamer, Reviewer): I've seen requests for a stealth mode, astral projection, an alternate decking system, and other Shadowrun features. How do you balance player demand with your vision for the game and the limitations of the project?
Mitch Gitelman
: We work really hard to make what the players want and we only take on what we think we can deliver. We did our diligence on astral space and on stealth and they are too big for us to handle right now. You'll see at least one of those in our Co-Funding goals.

It's a safe bet that one of those will be the one million stretch goals, announced in a few days, when the funding will approach the end of the new batch. My guess is astral plane, which is much easier to sell as a stretchgoal than stealth, which doesn't have the same pizazz.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fuck yes. I'm so poor right now, but I still backed. I wonder if Weisman looked at the numbers from PC or tablet sales for previous releases and the success of D:OS to decide to lean more towards the PC crowd.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Donated. I hope we get a good interview out of the Weisman meeting.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Fuck yes. I'm so poor right now, but I still backed. I wonder if Weisman looked at the numbers from PC or tablet sales for previous releases and the success of D:OS to decide to lean more towards the PC crowd.

They stated specifically it was limiting the game (namely map size).

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Donated. I hope we get a good interview out of the Weisman meeting.
Interview? Bro, we're gonna pitch our own fucking game at him. It'll be so good it'll be their next KickStarter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom