Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter is LIVE

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
200.gif

Oh my!
Zach Welhouse (RPGamer, Reviewer): I've seen requests for a stealth mode, astral projection, an alternate decking system, and other Shadowrun features. How do you balance player demand with your vision for the game and the limitations of the project?
Mitch Gitelman
: We work really hard to make what the players want and we only take on what we think we can deliver. We did our diligence on astral space and on stealth and they are too big for us to handle right now. You'll see at least one of those in our Co-Funding goals.

:hype:

Deleted member 7219

Just passed $200,000!! I'm quite impressed... :salute: They seem to have timed this well with no other large KS drive or game release coming up and setting their initial goal so low. Great way to get the hype-machine/join the fast moving/ already successful KS money-train flowing.

I think Obsidian will be watching this one very closely.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hmm...to be honest, I kinda hoped they would announce more substantial improvements - features that would add more tactical options in combat, stealth missions, more freedom and C&C. They've hinted at the latter two, but I thought they could have stated it in a more explicit way. Anyway, Harebrained deserve the benefit of the doubt since they have done a great job with Dragonfall DC, so I'm just going to assume that significant system related improvements will be in by default, "PC only to allow for bigger map sizes" certainly hints at that.

EDIT:

Zach Welhouse (RPGamer, Reviewer): I've seen requests for a stealth mode, astral projection, an alternate decking system, and other Shadowrun features. How do you balance player demand with your vision for the game and the limitations of the project?
Mitch Gitelman
: We work really hard to make what the players want and we only take on what we think we can deliver. We did our diligence on astral space and on stealth and they are too big for us to handle right now. You'll see at least one of those in our Co-Funding goals.

NOW we're talking! Good news:)

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Hmm...to be honest, I kinda hoped they would announce more substantial improvements - features that would add more tactical options in combat, stealth missions, more freedom and C&C. They've hinted at the latter two, but I thought they could have stated it in a more explicit way. Anyway, Harebrained deserve the benefit of the doubt since they have done a great job with Dragonfall DC, so I'm just going to assume that significant system related improvements will be in by default, "PC only to allow for bigger map sizes" certainly hints at that.

The things is HBS keep going forward with INCLINE (cRPG mechanics wise, and ditching shitty tablets that limit the game). They are baby steps, but at least they are moving forward.

kazgar

Arcane
Update!

Well, hellooooo Kickstarter!
2 comments
\nLike\n"">
15 likes
Wowzers, you guys are amazing!

With your support, we were able to hit our first funding goal in less than 2 hours and we just hit our third one. That means we'll be able to add Enhanced Player Controls, Animatic Scene Transitions and Racter, our favorite Russian, to your team!

The team is really appreciative of the opportunity you've given us. All we want is to do our very best work for an audience who wants what we're making. So, thanks for the (rapid) outpouring of support.

As you can imagine, that warmth means a lot to us in the chill of the Pacific Northwest. The team is trying hard to focus on their work but it's tough not to hit "refresh" on your browser every few minutes. Nevertheless, good stuff is happening in the studio and we're working on all sorts of production-y things simultaneously.

For us, sharing the process of how we make our games is one of the best parts of running a Kickstarter project. We love to take you behind the scenes so you can find out how your magical cyberpunk dystopian (digital) future will come to pass. Tomorrow Tristin Ishmael, our Concept and Lead Environment Artist (and the guy who created that cool SR:HK teaser image) will give you a glimpse into his process.

In the meantime, we've been updating our FAQ all day and will continue our attempt to keep up with the deluge of communication we're receiving. On that note, one of the things we've been asked for is some art for folks to share on social media.

To that end, our Crack Art Team (tm) prepared this set of goodies for you...

Hong Kong 2056

Teahouse Shootout

Facebook Banner

Facebook Profile

Twitter Banner

Twitter Profile
https://s3.amazonaws.com/www.harebrained-schemes.com/ShadowrunHK-KS/srhk_twitterProfile400x400.png

Deleted member 7219

From their updated FAQ:

Your Animatic Scene Transitions will have voiceovers… so will the whole game have voiceovers? Can that be a funding goal?

Nope. While we’re excited about doing interstitial animatics with voice-over narration, we feel that fully voicing our game would take away from the “theatre of the mind” experience that we brought you with Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall. We want playing through Shadowrun: Hong Kong to feel more like getting lost in a good book than it does watching a movie - when you’re having a team conversation, we want you to hear your Gobbet, not ours.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. They are bros. They are putting money where it counts.

kazgar

Arcane
As long as we can still use the editor, it's all good. And if we can use assets from the previous games that would be even better.

Looking ok

Will I be able to import the runs I made using the DFDC editor into the SR:HK editor?
Shadowrun Hong Kong is a new standalone game built on the same base engine as previous Shadowrun games. All the art from our previous games will be included with the SR:HK editor.

While the new editor will be familiar to those who have used previous versions, it will be upgraded with the features of the new game and we cannot guarantee that runs made in our other editors will be compatible with the SR:HK editor without some work on your part

Edit HA!

You guys fix your lousy save game function yet?
Yup! You can save anywhere in the game. This functionality exists in Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sweet! Good to hear ALL the previous art assets are available to modders. That is a shitload of good assets for modders to work with. :salute:

Now we just need some good Modder Tool/Improvement stretch goals.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
* A set of Backer Exclusive in-game PLAYER CHARACTER PORTRAITS to choose from to customize your Shadowrunner. (Note that Backer Exclusive portraits will NEVER be sold as DLC.)
:hahano: Didn't they fucking learn their lesson that the community hates such? (Even if this time it's just player portraits.)

(Besides, they'll be put into a mod ASAP anyway. :roll:)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Enhanced controls ftw.

Convinced me to back for $55. Yeah I know that anyone can just upload those special backer portraits or that sweet sweet art book, but I'd feel skeezy obtaining 'em that way. Sorry, no extra copies for anyone else this time, they weren't able to sell me on the sourcebook (I can just look up those stats and maps in the editor y'know).

Interesting to see ~Josh Sawyer~ back this considering he didn't spend much time with SR or Dragonfall. Guess he saw the potential.

Hey Benjanun Sriduangkaew, you google alerts-user you, I know you're not going to donate or probably even buy this, but you can still play it and tell me about all the things they get wrong about your home away from home. As well as any other opinions you have; I'm interested in all of them, even when I disagree.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:hahano: Didn't they fucking learn their lesson that the community hates such? (Even if this time it's just player portraits.)

(Besides, they'll be put into a mod ASAP anyway. :roll:)

The community has shown a tolerance for these kinds of minor exclusives. Wasteland 2 had them (also portraits). PoE had them (exclusive pet). Divinity, of course (although later on Swen pretty much went "eh fuck it, everybody gets everything"). Only Torment completely eschewed exclusives.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Shadowrun: Hong Kong is built on the same single player engine as Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall. We focus on the story and characters that can only be developed through a single player campaign. Multi-player modes are outside the scope of our current budget and timeline.

Thank gawd. Retards in the comment section screaming for multiplayer. DIE IN A FIRE!

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Shadowrun: Hong Kong is built on the same single player engine as Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall. We focus on the story and characters that can only be developed through a single player campaign. Multi-player modes are outside the scope of our current budget and timeline.

Thank gawd. Retards in the comment section screaming for multiplayer. DIE IN A FIRE!
I'm loving it! :lol: but seriously though, they are proving to be true bros.:obviously:

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
The community has shown a tolerance for these kinds of minor exclusives. Wasteland 2 had them (also portraits). PoE had them (exclusive pet). Divinity, of course (although later on Swen pretty much went "eh fuck it, everybody gets everything"). Only Torment completely eschewed exclusives.
Yeah, people aren't all up in altruistic arms over cosmetic stuff, but it still leaves a bad taste in mine own mouth, and I'd rate the thing that primarily defines your character's visual identity in this game as more potentially aggravating than a reskinned weapon or whatever.

Still drawing a blank on which those portraits were in WL2. (Never mind them being bugged to hell and back post-release, anyway.) Oh, and the lore skill - did that one stay exclusive? Would be terrible, IMO.
Yeah, the exclusive pet - I'd be annoyed if I hadn't backed.
I do seem to remember one of the D:OS KS exclusives still being such (otherwise why would I have a specifically named KS edition?) - the message in a bottle feature, maybe? I'm pretty sure it isn't the pants.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still drawing a blank on which those portraits were in WL2. (Never mind them being bugged to hell and back post-release, anyway.) Oh, and the lore skill - did that one stay exclusive? Would be terrible, IMO.

If you don't know which portraits they were, you never installed them. It's an archive you need to download from Ranger Center. (You're not missing much.) Ditto for the lore skill, there's a code on Ranger Center to unlock it in-game.

Anyway, just shows you how much they matter (not very much).

I blame D:OS.

Actually, what you really need to blame may be...HBS, for promising multiplayer in one of their very first SR updates (maybe even the initial pitch?). They went back on it almost immediately, but they must have attracted some people with multiplayer on their minds.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Also, have I mentioned that unlike the previous campaigns, Shadowrun: Hong Kong is a PC-exclusive?

Shadowrun: Hong Kong is being developed for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems only. We have elected to focus all our efforts on PC in order to deliver the best game we can without the current processing and memory limitations of tablets. This focus allows us to have higher-fidelity visuals, larger map sizes, and more stuff on screen.
Good, but I have no doubt that it will be ported in a couple of years. Just as well.

Kickstarter explained that Amazon retired the payment product that they were using, and so decided to go with Stripe for payment processing. See https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/making-payments-easier-for-creators-and-backers - it apparently is easier for creators (not sure if I agree that it's easier for backers).

It's certainly quicker for backers. If it's "better", who knows? At the very least it's finally consistent for all currencies.

Sweet! Good to hear ALL the previous art assets are available to modders. That is a shitload of good assets for modders to work with. :salute:

Now we just need some good Modder Tool/Improvement stretch goals.
That is sweet for sure. That creators don't need to recreate their mods from the ground up yet again in a new editor, however, strikes me as even more important.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
If you don't know which portraits they were, you never installed them. It's an archive you need to download from Ranger Center. (You're not missing much.) Ditto for the lore skill, there's a code on Ranger Center to unlock it in-game.

Anyway, just shows you how much they matter (not very much).
I keep meaning to get back into it, anyway. I do remember scratching my head when the lore skill had disappeared from the chargen screen. And I guess I must have read about those portraits, but I still don't remember any mention of such. Weird, normally my memory is excellent (specific dates and acquaintances' names aside) - at the very least after some gentle prodding. *shrug*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom