Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter campaign to launch on January 13th

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Couldn't they have dropped in random lore bits like Obsidian did? Would have made things more interesting.

If you look closely at the last picture, you can see the hint.
Are you sure?
Really sure?
Ok.
There will be rain. :troll:

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
It is not like i don't like sci-fi + magic.
oh i know how to present it. Whenever i see Warhammer or Shadowrun i see WoW Mist of Pandaria

I think it is nowhere near Panda shit. As a matter of fact, you can think of it as the "extension" of Arcanum lore, where it moved from industrial steam-punk D&D fantasy setting to cyber-punk D&D fantasy setting with a bit of 80's ridiculousness. Of course it was probably as time-line suggests (i.e., Arcanum got some inspiration from Shadowrun and D&D, and Shadowrun took some inspiration from D&D). It is still contained in the same level of fantasy.

Pandas on the other hand... jesus... wonder if there was some Biowarian taint in this...

Deleted member 7219

Depends. There hasn't really been any large PC game projects since Kingdom Come: Deliverance (except for, maybe, Thimbleweed Park and its 625,000), so it will be interesting to see how a new project from someone returning to KS will be received. Worked well enough for Torment, and W2 wasn't even in beta back then. I think a strong enough pitch can put them in the one million range, but I'm always being overtly optimistic about these things.

I am optimistic too. Thimbleweed Park looked like utter shit, and Harebrained have built up a good rep from delivering on Shadowrun Returns, especially Dragonfall and the amount of critical acclaim it has received. It seemed to sell well too so hopefully there's enough of a fanbase to put the money in.

I backed Shadowrun Returns at the lowest level that gave a copy of the game. I knew nothing about it other than the backer video seemed to be pretty interesting. For that $15 I got two full games. I'm willing to at least double that donation for this Kickstarter.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think it is nowhere near Panda shit. As a matter of fact, you can think of it as the "extension" of Arcanum lore, where it moved from industrial steam-punk D&D fantasy setting to cyber-punk D&D fantasy setting with a bit of 80's ridiculousness. Of course it was probably as time-line suggests (i.e., Arcanum got some inspiration from Shadowrun and D&D, and Shadowrun took some inspiration from D&D). It is still contained in the same level of fantasy.

Pandas on the other hand... jesus... wonder if there was some Biowarian taint in this...

And when you go into the details of the Shadowrun setting, it's actually pretty damn awesome as it makes many regions of the world unique and filled with content that players can relate to because it plays in our world.
And it combines cyberpunk as we know it from Neuromancer and Blade Runner with traditional fantasy while still staying consistent.
I especially love the Germany sourcebooks which include a lot of details about my country and crazy factions that reflect how the regions of Germany actually are (catholic knights in the south, anarchists in berlin, different nazi groups etc). It's fucking great!

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
What's the significance of Hong Kong in the Shadowrun world? Is there a specific Shadowrun reason people are excited for this, or is it just because it's a cool city?

Morkar Left

Good question. I guess it's because Hong Kong was never fleshed out as a setting in SR. At least I never read something about it.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
What's the significance of Hong Kong in the Shadowrun world? Is there a specific Shadowrun reason people are excited for this, or is it just because it's a cool city?

Many gamers, male and female, are very excited because Hong Kong is one of the few remaining places in the setting that features strong, non-effiminate males in power. I think the general feeling is that HBS has chosen HK specifically to take a (long overdue) stance against the SJW-ification of modern RPGs.

Blackstaff

Arbiter
Each countdown has been released around the same time : around 19H00 GMT +1, here in France. So I guess, it should mean that the KS is going live tomorow at the same hour.:thumbsup:

Hong Kong has its own sourcebook. I'm not really familliar with it, but I remember it was pretty cool for triad/yakuza busness, and for the relation between magic and Dragons.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
still never finished Dragonfall, but still totally throwing down. I'm most excited to see updated features. just the addition of freesave in Dragonfall was really, really cool. wonder how much more engine hacking will be going on this time.

Don't forget to pledge at the physical box copy tier...... :troll:

Quigs

Magister

The answer is a little complicated. When Shadowrun was in it's prime, it was pushing the 80's cyberpunk feel real hard. Japanacorps were a big scary thing. America was afraid Japan was gonna take all our jobs, with their superior product, technology, and work ethic. So some of the biggest and scariest MegaCorporations in Shadowrun were Japanese. Mitsuhama, Renraku, Fuchi, Yamatetsu, and Shiawase made up 5 of the "Big 10" AAA corporations.

Currently (IRL), Japan isn't going to take over shit, but China might... kinda?

FACTUAL INTERLUDE

The present licenseholder for some old FASA products (Shadowrun, Battletech) is Loren Coleman. Loren Coleman, when he wasn't busy writing shitty books, stole 700,000 dollars -with some insiders claiming an even higher number- from the company coffers to fund an expansion on his house. Meanwhile, he told writers that he had no money to pay them what they were owed. The majority of writers left. A block of them went on to create Eclipse Phase, a good game you may have heard of. Current writers for the IP make far less then industry standard, and generally work on a freelance basis. This has obviously had an impact on quality. tl;dr Anything written for the universe for the past 7 or so years, sucks ass.

BACK TO ANSWER

The main hub of Shadowrun adventures takes place in Seattle. A UCAS (United Canadian and American States) territory surrounded on all sides by foreign powers. Hong Kong too is a 'western' city surrounded by foreign powers, with the added helping of psuedo japanacorp fear.

Its more interesting then Berlin, less interesting than Vegas or NYC.

set

Cipher
I can't wait to do a weeablade character. I hope HBS can turn this new iteration around quick!

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
The answer is a little complicated. When Shadowrun was in it's prime, it was pushing the 80's cyberpunk feel real hard. Japanacorps were a big scary thing. America was afraid Japan was gonna take all our jobs, with their superior product, technology, and work ethic. So some of the biggest and scariest MegaCorporations in Shadowrun were Japanese. Mitsuhama, Renraku, Fuchi, Yamatetsu, and Shiawase made up 5 of the "Big 10" AAA corporations.

Currently (IRL), Japan isn't going to take over shit, but China might... kinda?
Well, all that, and Japan/Tokyo sucks* as a setting in the 2050's, so the Chinese states/cities are the best place to get thine goode olde primarily East-Asian cyberpunk fix.

*Not wholly uninteresting, but really hard to do in a CRPG with choice of metatype.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Probably not.
Technomancers don't exist yet, so they bascially have the relevant stuff already covered.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Are there any new classes that they could add?
Not really and same answer for races. The technomancer is the only new class that was added in 3rd edition splat books and made official in 4th edition - meaning 2072 and it's lore reason that they emerged after the Big 'Net Crash which made the SR world go wireless. It's not really important either, as it's just a decker but MAGIC-kinda. And pretty shit. SR is a classless system in its heart anyway, the "classes" are more like archetypes for easy recognition.

As for races, they might introduce metavariants into the mix but I hope not. They are a extremely tiny portion of metahumanity but would require large amounts of art assets. They are basically dryads and cyclops and so on. Good for a P&P splatbook for those players who want to RP a special unique snowflake. I never allowed them as a GM either.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Good question. I guess it's because Hong Kong was never fleshed out as a setting in SR. At least I never read something about it.

Shadows of Asia, Runner Havens, one of the SOTAs and I believe there was a 2nd ed sourcebook as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom