Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter campaign to launch on January 13th

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
hey im getting paid on...

borealesad.jpg

naossano

Cipher
At least, they don't seem to kickstarter for every game.
Dragonfall & Necropolis didn't required one.

Some first world problems right here.

Off-topic but does Dragonfall-director's cut contain the original campaign as well or do i have to get the original shadowrun for that, presuming it's worth it.

- There is the game Shadowrun Returns that contain Dead Man Switch Campaign.
- There is the Dragonfall DLC that requires Shadowrun Returns as it works on that engine.
- There is Dragonfall Director's Cut that is more or less the same story as Dragonfall DLC (with some additions) but is a stand alone game. It doesn't require Shadowrun Returns. But if you have Dragonfall DLC, this stand-alone is free for you.

Dead Man Switch is good too. Presuming you enjoy Dragonfall, i see no reason why you should hate Dead Man Switch.

made

Arcane
Why so hype? Was Dragonfall so vastly superior to the "good for what it was" S:R? I hear it implemented a save feature at least. That's progress, I guess.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why so hype? Was Dragonfall so vastly superior to the "good for what it was" S:R? I hear it implemented a save feature at least. That's progress, I guess.
Probably not vastly superior. Still superior, though, and not only because of the save feature.

naossano

Cipher
The blueprint is quite the same, but it have better story, bleak world, better missions, more missions, more challenges, some EPIC missions, more choices even if the consequences are light (more than FoT, less heavy handed than TW1), more open space. The game is still quite linear, but you have some input in the sequence of the missions. A mindblowing final act. A cast of companions that really make you care about them.

On a counterpoint, i think the production value (graphics, music, atmosphere) decreased a little. As there is more content, the attention was spread a little.

But even if the game provide more things to enjoy, i think that if you like one of those campaign, you would probably also like the other one. And if you hate one, it is unlikely that you would like the other. They basically works following the same principles with more or less juice put in them.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

The hype is IMO unwarranted at this level. Shadowrun: Dragonfall was a purely enjoyable game, but far, far from a great game. However if Hong Kong improves as much on Dragonfall as Dragonfall did on Dead Man's Switch, then there is much reason to be hyped.

naossano

Cipher
IMO, although they lack of some feature that one would normally expect for an actual RPG, both shadowrun are deeply underrated games, as they truly shine in some other aspects that are often overlooked in other games, including actual RPG.

Starwars

Arcane
Sometimes the sum is greater than its parts.

I didn't really enjoy the "limited scope" at first in DMS but if done well, its streamlined (gasp!) approach has certain pros compared to more open RPGs. In Dragonfall, their approach won me over. I had fun pretty much throughout the entire campaign, there was nothing I'd "cut away". Compare this to other RPG greats like Arcanum where certain areas make me want to kill myself because they're so shitty. Or PS:T with its Curst section. Or something like WL2 which just drags on and on. That's not to say there aren't things in Dragonfall that doesn't annoy me (hello inventory) but compared to many games, it has very little filler and had me hooked me all the way through.

I wouldn't want every game to do what SRR and Dragonfall does in terms of its simplification of many things (and its smaller scope and mission-based approach), I love bigger games as well. But variety is the key sometimes.

Wizfall

Cipher

I liked DMS much better story-wise/ambiance, except for the last quarter of the game (the idea was not that bad but realization did not feel right and seemed rushed) .
It did the Shadowrun atmosphere very well unlike Dragonfall.
Dragonfall mood is quite far from Shadowrun P&P IMO (too cheerful/Biowaran). But dialogs were still quite good (so great for a video game) and the setting respected.
However the huge edge of Dragonfall is it is bigger, less linear (DMS is totally linear) and had better mechanics.

Eventually I find the combat mechanics solid and enjoyable enough now, i would not mind if it stays the same.
Character development could be improved but it worked (enough choices to make because you only have to create one character).
Etiquette was not great though even if in the end i rather like have the power of a "auto success" speech skill limited.
However I wish HBS craft better combat encounters, better runs and bigger maps for the sequel (same structure but more exploration like in Fallout 1/2, absolutely not sandbox open word).
A stealth mechanics and a kind of "detective" gameplay would be awesome too but much harder to make.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
uh, no.

if they were ever desperate, it was when they were using their Shadowrun channels to promote a completely unrelated tabletop game.

announcements of announcements etc is just good marketing.
View attachment 4346

Announcements of announcements are standard PR practice these days.

That's different. With this we have

1) We're going back to Kickstarter!
2) Here's a new background!
3) The background is from Hong Kong! (as if that wasn't obvious)
4) The Kickstarter starts January 13!

Could have been consolidated into two pre-announcements or even just one.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
That's different. With this we have

1) We're going back to Kickstarter!
2) Here's a new background!
3) The background is from Hong Kong! (as if that wasn't obvious)
4) The Kickstarter starts January 13!

Could have been consolidated into two pre-announcements or even just one.
everybody could just run their ads on TV once and then never again. that'd be kinda cool too.

Athelas

Arcane
Well, Roguey is right in that they could have done a more effective job of teasing the Kickstarter campaign. Releasing some enticing story snippets would have been a hell of a lot better than 'we will launch a Kickstarter in a few weeks, and we will announce it again 3 days before the Kickstarter'.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Well, Roguey is right in that they could have done a more effective job of teasing the Kickstarter campaign. Releasing some enticing story snippets would have been a hell of a lot better than 'we will launch a Kickstarter in a few weeks, and we will announce it again 3 days before the Kickstarter'.
his focus is on the amount of pre-announcements.
I agree that the contents of the announcements could be better.

Lerk

Learned
I'm just glad there's another on the way, I didn't think it would happen after the somewhat tepid performance of Dragonfall. They're enjoyable romps in one of my favourite settings and they've improved with every iteration (DMS>DF>DF/DC) so there's not reason not to be looking forward to Hong Kong.

No, the games are not perfect by any means, but given their budget and limitations what HBS turns out is very good - I'm not expecting the depth and longevity of something like Arcanum, or Torment from a Kickstarter game. If you're dismissing them on the basis of "tablet UI" then you probably haven't played them and your opinions can be safely ignored as typical PC master race wankery.

HBS is releasing isometric, turn based Shadowrun games in the present day and uninformed people like to fling shit their way (checkpoint saves, really?)

Codex gonna Codex, I guess?

Perkel

Arcane
conflicted on this.

One of my halfs says "fuck it give them money !"
Other one says "kingcomrade"

:x

Perkel

Arcane
Why do you hate RPG's Perkel?

For some reason i hate shadowrun which is weird considering i love arcanum and i love cyberpunk.
It is even weirder because i didn't play shadowrun (the kickstarted one) more than 30 minutes.

Should i play kickstarted one again or go for "dragonborn" ?

It feels to me like Warhammer. And i hate that shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom