Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

Ninjerk

Arcane
I don't know how you make a turn-based analog, but the decking in the Source mod Dystopia was incredible.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Their engine has weird limitation. Still feels like sort-of-open-world was modded in.

But I don't think it forces them to do those games in the same manner. Hong Kong was too similar for Dragonfall for my taste. Games themselves are ok, even good, but they've fallen into a trap of self-replecation deeper than BioWare. Also they have a nice combat system but it's not developed enough; I've expected hardest difficulty to force me to prepare for final battles with all available tools but it didn't.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
That's why the matrix sections were such a pain for you, they're designed for Izobel, who has a 40% move speed bonus in the matrix. I made the same mistake, and boy did I rage after a friend told me that. Makes me wonder if they gave her the boost after they realized the new matrix sucks.
Didn't know that, thanks. The speed of my character wasn't really the main problem though - on the contrary, some sections could have been actually harder if the character moved faster and thus required a start-stop-start navigation. Also, her being faster still doesn't fix the clunky controls and pathfinding. When I played with a strong sword wielding troll in Dragonfall, that was really a good choice (although that meant bringing Blitz along). Regret picking a decker in HK. Mage would have been the best choice, as even end-game Gobbet is too weak for many of the most powerful and interesting spells. Mage + Racter + Gaichu + Duncan (only Is0bel when absolutely required) is what I recommend for future players. And play on hard difficulty, especially with that party setup.

Mozg

Arcane
Yeah, I played (mostly) damage mage in HK. It's basically the only party role where they don't give you a very workable NPC substitute. HK also has the cyber-affinity thing that lets you reasonably get one essence point of cyberware on a mage without fucking up your magic.

They have a design problem where they have to make everything matrixy doable by the designated decker NPC. They don't really give you enough points and money to make a PC decker that's more than marginally superior. I tried a decker/rigger in DF and I switched to full rigger in short order.

Spiral Jacobs

Novice
Haven't done this one yet (although I backed it). Dragonfall DC was amazing, though, and I really enjoyed DMS. While I'm very happy HBS is doing Battletech, as soon as a new Shadow Run is announced, I'll be there to support it.

agris

Arcane
Patron
i hear there's a mod that enables NPCs to use more than 1 AP to attack, and it makes the combat more challenging.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
There, mini campaign completed. Much better combat encounters this time around. Detours and some extra loot-hunting makes a difference in various ways, and missions were more interesting. Talked myself out of the final fight, which might have affected the ending (?). I hope HBS keeps going in this direction (not forgetting the best aspects of DF) with the series.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I want a more open game, a la Pillars of Eternity, Serpents in the Staglands or whatever.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'd love them to open up the team to full character development and implement non-linear itemization. The existing branching hub mission structure + those changes would make an amazing game IMO.

Mozg

Arcane
I like the structure of DF/HK and I'd be down for more of it. I wish they'd balance around the player and NPCs having ~90-100% hit rates with weapons because playing on a high difficulty and every combat hinging on 60% hit rates is insufferable.

I really, really like not having to click every fucking corpse or check every chest and similar loot grubbing shit like that in these games. When I hear the word "itemization" I reach for my gun.

Lhynn

Arcane
I wish they'd balance around the player and NPCs having ~90-100% hit rates with weapons because playing on a high difficulty and every combat hinging on 60% hit rates is insufferable.
Sounds like shit, there are always way to maneuver around to get a better hit rate.

I really, really like not having to click every fucking corpse or check every chest and similar loot grubbing shit like that in these games. When I hear the word "itemization" I reach for my gun.
Meh, between the fact that you cant loot and the fact that they pay you a pitiance for every operation i feel more like a wage slave than a merc. Wish they changed it to full loot and decent pay.

Mozg

Arcane
Tell me how you get Glory to have acceptable hitrates with melee in DF on very hard.

It doesn't really matter in terms of difficulty because enemy damage output is very low, but as a matter of combat feel and tactical degeneracy it sucks.

Lhynn

Arcane
Tell me how you get Glory to have acceptable hitrates with melee in DF on very hard.
Buff her and have her flank.

It doesn't really matter in terms of difficulty because enemy damage output is very low, but as a matter of combat feel and tactical degeneracy it sucks.
If anything i believe hit rates are entirely too high.

Also i dislike the notion of minmaxing companions, they shouldnt reflect perfection on the field.

Mozg

Arcane
Melee can't not flank and a typical aim buff is +10-15. That gets you to like 60% hit on very hard, at least on the save I had available to check. Even with mark target (which has its own bad hitroll and costs someone else one AP) it's like 70%.

Like I said, it makes no difference for difficulty because enemies can't generally kill you but it makes many options non-viable relative to slow attrition and abusing stuff that makes enemies drop cover.

Lhynn

Arcane
If you can reliably hit people in cover, what is the point of cover? If no matter what you do you will still get hit because everyone has a high hit rate, when the only real tactic becomes bursting enemies as fast as possible to prevent damage.

No, hit rates are fine, or too high.

If you are only asking for companions to have better hit rates, then no, because i hate having perfect companions, what i liked about the SR games was that your companions were in fact flawed and not 100% reliable.

Mozg

Arcane
I just really hate 40-60% hit rates because they're so volatile. If there's some strategy game where if all your 50s hit on the first turn you've attritted the enemies enough that the fight is effectively over, and vice-versa. The SRR games also gives you very few 100% types of tools like a low-level D&D sleep spell where reliability becomes one of the dimensions you balance shit on.

Anyway I think they actually removed the very hard difficulty on SRHK because of exactly what I'm complaining about and made buffed NPCs on Hard hit at like 95% so whatever.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i wud say that with aim, flanking, mark target, tracer rounds and a bunch of +thc special attacks you should never have anyone have less than 85% to hit

naossano

Cipher
It says 13 dollars for me currently.
It could mean it is more costy depending on your country, or it display a lower cost for you because you already own some of the games.

eXalted

Arcane
That's what happens when you hurry to post in the 'dex.

Yeah, you are right. Edited my post.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Almost done with the game, and cant believe the casuals complain that there is too much text. I mean seriously? First of al, there isnt too much text. Second, 80% is optional. Bunch of peasants here, go back to Call of Duty.

Deleted member 7219

Almost done with the game, and cant believe the casuals complain that there is too much text. I mean seriously? First of al, there isnt too much text. Second, 80% is optional. Bunch of peasants here, go back to Call of Duty.

The scum who criticised Hong Kong for too much text should stay the fuck away from Torment. Oblivion was made for them. RUMORS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom