Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

So I need to go and fucking play all games through again and then list all of the similarities and differences before you accept it is the same story every time with almost identical small details how the story plays out. How the triggers that move from phase from the story to another are identical.

Never argue with fanboys, lesson learned.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I need to go and fucking play all games through again and then list all of the similarities and differences before you accept it is the same story every time with almost identical small details how the story plays out. How the triggers that move from phase from the story to another are identical.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
If you are not able to notice any more commonplace plots and story arcs in the shadowrun games than the hero's journey then maybe these are just the right depth games for you...
Try reading my post again. Because that is not what I said.

Fallout 1 and 2. Different plot with clearly different way it plays out. Doesn't use the same story reasonings in the exactly same order in both games.
Oh really? So you're not trying to find a McGuffin item in both games, only to find out about a larger threat to the entire region which requires you to go against the Big Boss? Oh wow. Somebody alert NMA, Fallout Bible needs to be rewritten.

Because when you dismiss the context and the detail, and just look at the big story elements, of course the plots will look similar - because all 3 games follow a generally stereotypical Shadowrun plot, the types of plots that have been used in dozens of SR novels and P&P campaigns. It's what SR stands for and what many fans want.

TL:DR you're an edgy wannabe critic spewing bullshit because you don't actually know jackshit about the stuff that you're criticising about. Improve your argumentation or go back to RPS where you can keep on being a smarmy mcsmartypants without a clue.

vmar

Savant
What details? That each game has this same magic weapon you need to use on one of the end bosses to neutralise him in some way? The way this second higher tier boss in the game is always some kind of badass with tons of chrome. How you always do some kind of "risky" mission near the end (save that father guy in hk or the ai mission in df).
You could make broad generalizations like that about pretty much any rpg.

cruelio

Augur
Is it safe to assume DF is better than HK?

I need to play something turn based again before I turn into a slutty casual.

Dragon Fall Directors Cut has a better story and characters but with one exception (Aztechnology run) every run is basically the same.

Hong Kong had worse story and characters than DF (FUCK DUNCAN) but the runs have a lot of variety. The Hong Kong expansion's optional missions are probably the highest point of their mission design, hopefully this continues for Battletech and they don't start from scratch again.

Basically Shadowrun is a land of contrasts.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Very late to the party, but I eventually got around to start playing this game. How would I reap the prestigious rewards for having backed the game via the Codex? Where can I find the magic code to be entered into the game?

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

can I ask you about Arcanum, Drog?

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
Finished this yesterday (not the extra mini campaign yet, started it but can't be bothered right now). Agree with the criticism put forward by many here, and felt disappointed after the quite good Dragonfall. The new matrix was first boring, and then became frustratingly so. It felt like wasting time as the clunky controls many times had me activate security by the character moving in a way I did not intend -> reload (sometimes with veeeeeery loooooong loading times). The writing and plot is also worse than dragonfall, and I found the combat easier than the previous games as well (FFS I killed the last boss in the final battle on the first round on my first go without really trying!).

Is the mini campaign worth the ca 6 hours it is supposed to last?

I discovered some surprising exploits in the game as well. For example, towards the end of the game, there are some security checkpoints on different levels that you have to pass, and a fight ensues if you don't have a security pass or the required skill check. Well, turns out you can also activate combat and just walk past the guards with you're entire party. They won't attack you unless you attack them. What great stealth technique weird oversight by the devs. Also, in the new matrix, if a battle ensues and you leave only one hostile program "alive", you can hide your character and grind down the alert level. For each round, the remaining hostile will increase the alert level by 5, but your suppress level 1 program can decrease the alert level by 50 every 8 rounds...do the math. So I could grind the alert level down to 10 in the final matrix level. This was actually a good thing, because it meant I did not need to reload every time the controls worked against me.

Also, why are these "final boss battles" copies of copies of previous games? The whole mechanic of

deactivating 3-5 thingamajigs to be able to harm the final boss, and then kill it three times

is so terribly old and cliché at this point - they couldn't think of anything better (i.e. engaging, innovative, unexpected)?

EDIT: Setting and the audio ambience is very good of course. Played with a pistol using decker, so as not having to bring a decker NPC like in previous games.

daveyd

Savant
They need to make a new one.

Agreed. Seems that HBS plans to make their next Shadowrun game in a new engine so it could be awhile. I'm hoping they launch a crowdfunding campaign shortly after Battletech is released.

daveyd

Savant
Old engine looked great, better than 3d Battletech engine.

I think their move to a new engine is more about overcoming the SRR engine limitations than improved visuals... While HBS learned their lesson with SR:HK by focusing exclusively on PC, the initial need to make SR tablet-friendly (e.g. low memory requirements) no doubt placed restrictions on level design and mechanics. A fresh engine might make it easier to add some of the oft requested features like Astral Space, a full-fledged stealth system. In terms of graphics, I just wish SRR had the ability to partially rotate the camera angle like in D:OS... Actually this isn't even really necessary if they would just make it more clear whether moving to a certain spot will make a character vulnerable to flanking, be in their line of sight, etc.

Hopefully they also received enough complaints about the HK Matrix minigames / twitch elements that those won't be included in future SR games.

Mozg

Arcane
Matrix shit has always been an idea in search of gameplay from P&P forward, so I figure they'll take yet another whack at trying to make it decent. Spin the wheel of rote design, maybe it will land on card game.

daveyd

Savant
Matrix shit has always been an idea in search of gameplay from P&P forward, so I figure they'll take yet another whack at trying to make it decent. Spin the wheel of rote design, maybe it will land on card game.

I actually though the Matrix was pretty decent in Dragonfall- they even incorporated some puzzle elements. A lot of players evidently complained that it was too similar to meatspace combat, but IMO they probably should have left well enough alone and instead focused on just improving the combat. Making it so that a player with great twitch skills could be excel at the Matrix with a starter deck / low decking skill was a terrible idea.

Or would've been nice if they'd tried to implement Astral segments instead of "fixing" what wasn't really broken.

Siobhan

Arbiter
Played with a pistol using decker, so as not having to bring a decker NPC like in previous games.
That's why the matrix sections were such a pain for you, they're designed for Izobel, who has a 40% move speed bonus in the matrix. I made the same mistake, and boy did I rage after a friend told me that. Makes me wonder if they gave her the boost after they realized the new matrix sucks.

Siobhan

Arbiter
Apparently you can also buy a program that does the same, Dual Routine Boost for 500 nuyen. But either it shows up too late, or I just never realized that this would make the matrix much less annoying. Either way I quickly decided to load my decker up on attack programs and take the offensive route.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Haven't seen the ending or the new mini-campaign for 4 playthroughs. I dunno, I always reach the Walled City and then realize there was something off about my character. Gonna give it another go this weekend.

almondblight

Arcane
Ignoring decking s a win/win. You skip the worst elements of the game, and you actually get some decent fights. I just finished the Feng Shui mission, and the only decent fight was the optional one I got from not having a decker on the first floor. Skip the matrix if you want a more enjoyable game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom