Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Its not really optional, as its mandatory to get the "best" ending.

Getting the best ending isn't mandatory, just a metagamey compulsion. :M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Getting any ending isnt mandatory, just a metagamey compulsion.+M

It's not metagamey to want to see something through to its conclusion though it's probably a better use of your time to abandon it if you're finding the way there unpleasant.

Lhynn

Arcane
It's not metagamey to want to see something through to its conclusion.
It is if you dont accept gameover as a conclusion.
Anyway, the critique remains, locking content behind interactions isnt bad. Making said interactions boring is. And its very valid to give them crap for it.

I read all the crap. Most amusing thing was filipino babysitter. This is what talking to women feel like.
The one that made some kind of tasty food? cant remembe the name of it,r but yeah, good character. Visited her a couple times after that but she had never anything to say and i think she disappeared later.

Would have taken her on my runs over the brother, the rat shaman and the autistic hacker any day.

DramaticPopcorn

Who put a gun against your head and forced you to talk to them? You can ignore every hub NPC if you want. That's the point - they are there for people who like that stuff but can safely be skipped if you don't care about world building or lore or whatever. Jesus fuck, it has been stated at least a dozen times in this thread, yet you retards keep talking to them.
Can you be any more apologetic of pointless filler ?

The game's entire hub area is utterly non-sensical and overcharacterized while not really offering anything of consequence.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I will say, that in games like that and SR DF, I think letting you move around the hub is detrimental in general. Just make it some simple base interface. I don't really mind the talking because..... you can skip it. But you have to run around that same route 20+ times. Pointless bs, esp considering it takes a while to load the level itself each time.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I will say, that in games like that and SR DF, I think letting you move around the hub is detrimental in general. Just make it some simple base interface. I don't really mind the talking because..... you can skip it. But you have to run around that same route 20+ times. Pointless bs, esp considering it takes a while to load the level itself each time.
I think an interface would do well for this game. I just don't think that HBS knew what path to take based on the criticism that SR DMS received.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Can you be any more apologetic of pointless filler ?

The game's entire hub area is utterly non-sensical and overcharacterized while not really offering anything of consequence.
Can you be anymore retarded? The characters are well written, thematically, and reinforce a cohesive world view, and are there to tell the player what life is like in Shadowrun universe. They are not all super special runners, which apparently makes them boring for spergs like Roshan. That obviously then means that some of them are mundane. If you don't like them, fine, don't talk to them.

Anyway, its how mundane and boring most of the characters are. I really dont care about them, give me more interesting ones.
Every game ever made makes you jump through hoops for "best" ending. Though you can easily argue that none of the endings are better or worse than the others - it's almost completely subjective just like it was in Dragonfall. So you bitching about a chore that the game makes you do, in pursuit of a goal that literally only exists in your own head... :lol:

So your excuse for crap content is "just skip it"? Are you nuts? I paid money for this shit, and you are telling me "just skip it". Also, it's kind of retarded and disingenuous to call this writing that sounds like what a bicurious ambisexual polygenderfluid elfkin teenager would write on Tumblr as "lore" and "world building".
THE FUCKING MISSIONS ARE THE CONTENT. This is like calling BG shit because most of the NPCs dialogues are inane. But I can see from your Tumblr-expertise that you're a master of SJW. Kindly go back to GD to suck Lyric Suite's balls. Because if you're deluded into seeing SJW in every dialogue, I got news for you: the problem isn't HBS.

Lhynn

Arcane
Every game ever made makes you jump through hoops for "best" ending. Though you can easily argue that none of the endings are better or worse than the others - it's almost completely subjective just like it was in Dragonfall. So you bitching about a chore that the game makes you do, in pursuit of a goal that literally only exists in your own head... :lol:
Codexers do find a way to argue the most retarded shit, so i wouldnt be impressed if you did.
Sigh, its just visiting her and pressing continue a buncha times. You dont even need to read her shit. Im complaining about the fact that its just boring, uninspired writing that plagues over half the cast of the game.

DramaticPopcorn

Can you be anymore retarded? The characters are well written, thematically, and reinforce a cohesive world view, and are there to tell the player what life is like in Shadowrun universe. They are not all super special runners, which apparently makes them boring for spergs like Roshan. That obviously then means that some of them are mundane. If you don't like them, fine, don't talk to them.
Talk about subjective right there, the entire point is that characters are NOT well written, they are info dumps with no nuance or consequence as I said before, they provide exposition and support world-building narrative but they REMAIN text dumps whose whole existance could have as well been replaced by an in-game encyclopedia

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I think his point is that all the dialog, especially in the hub, is optional content. So complaining about it is kinda pointless. You can read it, you can skip through it, you can completely ignore it *shrugs*. If you feel like you have to meta game to get the best ending then that's your own retarded fault. The biggest problem with the game is that enemies still only attack once per round... which makes every fight in the game unfair. Although I did do one play through where I also only attacked once per round with each char to make it even, got my ass kicked.

DramaticPopcorn

I think his point is that all the dialog, especially in the hub, is optional content. So complaining about it is kinda pointless. You can read it, you can skip through it, you can completely ignore it *shrugs*. If you feel like you have to meta game to get the best ending then that's your own retarded fault. The biggest problem with the game is that enemies still only attack once per round... which makes every fight in the game unfair. Although I did do one play through where I also only attacked once per round with each char to make it even, got my ass kicked.
As it was pointed before, it isn't exactly optional and I don't give a shit if you can skip content or not, I will criticize any aspect of the game I don't like and GarfunkeL can eat a dick for being such an apologist faggot.

roshan

Arcane
THE FUCKING MISSIONS ARE THE CONTENT. This is like calling BG shit because most of the NPCs dialogues are inane. But I can see from your Tumblr-expertise that you're a master of SJW. Kindly go back to GD to suck Lyric Suite's balls. Because if you're deluded into seeing SJW in every dialogue, I got news for you: the problem isn't HBS.

How old are you?

Prime Junta

Dragonfall's characters were (mostly) well-written. SR:HK's were for the most part pretty forgettable.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Talk about subjective right there, the entire point is that characters are NOT well written, they are info dumps with no nuance or consequence as I said before, they provide exposition and support world-building narrative but they REMAIN text dumps whose whole existance could have as well been replaced by an in-game encyclopedia

Uh what they're not info dumps, all their text is personal in nature.

Might as well say the character stories in Torment are "info dumps."

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
The characters are well written

no
Thematically. They fit in the world.

As Roguey said, nearly all of their stories are personal in nature. They all fit in the world of SR. They are not Wikipedia text like the Codex in DAO or ME. They can definitely get boring if you exhaust the dialogue tree of every NPC between each mission.

As it was pointed before, it isn't exactly optional and I don't give a shit if you can skip content or not, I will criticize any aspect of the game I don't like and GarfunkeL can eat a dick for being such an apologist faggot.
It is completely optional. You can check the SR wiki walkthrough. The only NPC you need to talk to, in order to get one specific ending, is the mage shop owner. But everyone else in the hub can be ignored. And again, the game will not say "loser, you didn't get the best ending, try again" or anything like that.

How old are you?
Are you going to buy me plane tickets?

cruelio

Savant
Who put a gun against your head and forced you to talk to them? You can ignore every hub NPC if you want. That's the point - they are there for people who like that stuff but can safely be skipped if you don't care about world building or lore or whatever. Jesus fuck, it has been stated at least a dozen times in this thread, yet you retards keep talking to them.

But you don't need to talk to anyone but the last boss to get the reward of killing Duncan + years of guaranteed luck to boot?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom