Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

almondblight

Arcane
A Stitch In Time was pretty good from what I played of it.

Mychkine

Educated
There is one thing bugging me about the burning of the SIM of the main character. While most personnal information stocked in the databases cannot be linked to you anymore, wouldn't a machine reading a SIN-less person raise a warning flag? I'm not aware of the relative proportion of SIN and SIN-less people in the Shadowrun universe.

Erasing the SIM in order to go underground would only work if a significiant proportion of person lack a SIN, and, even in this case, wouldn't someone lacking such identification device be labeled as a bum/criminal/someone not to be trusted?

orcinator

Liturgist
There is one thing bugging me about the burning of the SIM of the main character. While most personnal information stocked in the databases cannot be linked to you anymore, wouldn't a machine reading a SIN-less person raise a warning flag? I'm not aware of the relative proportion of SIN and SIN-less people in the Shadowrun universe.

Erasing the SIM in order to go underground would only work if a significiant proportion of person lack a SIN, and, even in this case, wouldn't someone lacking such identification device be labeled as a bum/criminal/someone not to be trusted?

You're supposed to have a fake SIN though that should cause problems if you try to go into high security locations that triple check everything.

But HBS doesn't give a fuck about the subtler parts of the setting given you can also walk around with a minigun with some trolls and a ghoul in tow (at least you get extra dialogue for the ghoul, unless you go to the restaurant then you get nothing, really shows the devs care)

Also the SINless should be about as common as bums and illegal immigrants.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Even more - In SR world, the SINless are pretty common but they are on the fringes of society. You can't really much of anything if you don't have a SIN. But the P&P rules leave a lot of wiggle room to the GM, depending on what kind of campaign they want to run. HBS made a pretty low-impact one in Hong Kong, you don't constantly get new fake SINs as you burn out your old ones, you don't have to avoid cameras and drones all the time and so on. SR P&P makes it possible to run either end of the spectrum: a world where RFID tags, CCTV, drones etc are literally everywhere and the Runners life is a constant struggle against the system and one bad move brings down the hammer on them. Other end of the spectrum is where players just get a fake SIN and get on with it, the other stuff is assumed to happen in the background if its necessary at all and Runners only worry about witnesses while doing a run. Both are valid approaches.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Even more - In SR world, the SINless are pretty common but they are on the fringes of society. You can't really much of anything if you don't have a SIN. But the P&P rules leave a lot of wiggle room to the GM, depending on what kind of campaign they want to run. HBS made a pretty low-impact one in Hong Kong, you don't constantly get new fake SINs as you burn out your old ones, you don't have to avoid cameras and drones all the time and so on. SR P&P makes it possible to run either end of the spectrum: a world where RFID tags, CCTV, drones etc are literally everywhere and the Runners life is a constant struggle against the system and one bad move brings down the hammer on them. Other end of the spectrum is where players just get a fake SIN and get on with it, the other stuff is assumed to happen in the background if its necessary at all and Runners only worry about witnesses while doing a run. Both are valid approaches.
I've always figured that the corps, govenments etc. don't really care about taking out shadowrunners because the runners are part of the system and are useful to have around for getting covert ops done. This would explain why runners can still move around freely despite the massive automated surveilance that's possible with SR tech, and also explains why shadowrunners are doing the corps' dirty work for shitty pay instead of robbing banks etc., since that would bring the full force of the law down on them.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
There are certified credsticks, and also deposit boxes, bearer bonds and other such physical objects of value being stored in banks. Or you could just rob a jewelry store instead, or a tech warehouse. Plenty of opportunities for heists in shadowrun if you can get away with it :)

DeepOcean

Arcane
I don't see how robbing banks would work in world with no physical money.
On the PnP, robbing banks is really difficult because the digital accounts are stored on megacorporation servers, the physical bank is just a front, the money isn't there and if you are going to rob banks, it is better to do on your home and go after the systems with the digital accounts directly. If shadowrunners rob a bank and there is ton of physical money, this could be bad news because only the crime syndicates or other illegal and shady groups use physical money, Lone Star may arrest you but the syndicates have pretty nasty punishments before killing you. Anyway, a shadowrun game with PnP rules that isn't as streamlined like HBS games are would be awesome.

vean

Scholar
It's a shovelware tablet game with a shadowrun licence. I don't know what you whiners expected.

cruelio

Savant
I'd really like to know what companies working with budgets as small are consistently cranking out RPGs better than HBS' Shadowrun games. There must be a ton of incredible RPGs out there that I haven't heard of.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, apparently the mini-campaign is going to be free for everyone. Wonder if they'll change much of the base game (since it's now being billed as an "extended edition").
neat. Although i think it's extended edition because... the game got longer with the DLC. I really hope they work on the base campaign though, the encounters in SRHK was not as memorable as DFDC.

sstacks

Arcane

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Harebrained posted this on their Soundcloud page just under a week ago. Teaser sample of the 100 minutes of commentary planned for the Extended Edition.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
What kind of fucking dickheads don't give a release date? Maybe I would be excited if you fucking pricks gave a date, but in lieu of excitement I now just have more resentment towards you since you are doing the old dangle the candy in front of the baby trick. Fuck you.

I am really starting to hate these fucks. Why does it take so long to make five hours of content when you have all the assets already?

Why do you keep spending the money we give you for Shadowrun on non-shadowrun shit? Is there anyone who believes SRHK had a million dollars worth of improvement? But now, after two kickstarters, and having all the assets in place, and enough capital to make super fun console action games with no rpg elements, they are saying fuck it and treating all the assets we funded as sunk costs instead of making a SR game that isn't kickstarted. This guarantees a new kickstarter for their new super full 3d SR when they return to it in a couple years after running out of funds doing stupid shit the people that put you on the map don't give a fuck about.

Its funny, before WL2 I honestly had zero faith in inXile to the point were I completely and honestly did not believe they would release an only TB game and it would have a surprise hybrid TB/RTwP model a la Arcanum we wuld find out about at release. Then, they released the DC well ahead of time to PC players, and it fixed everything that needed to be fixed with the game. I believed HBS and Larian were the good guys back then. Now, after ConsoleSven stated he prefers to play games with consoles and improved absolutely nothing that needed to be improved with the actual game with the EE, they released it to consoles first, and not the fucking people who made the fucking game possible. And to add insult to injury it did absolutely nothing. It was pure console improvements to superficial bullshit that didn't matter and didn't''t address what needed to be addressed to make DOS an actual better game.

I'm really sick of these little uppity bitches stabbing crpg players in the back after relying on us to pay the bills and fund their games so they can dream about being the next Bioware or Bethesda or Square Enix or whatever console developers are big these days. Its sad when I trust the console developer, inXile, far more than these sleazy backstabbing console dreamers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom