Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

eXalted

Arcane
For me, the game has always been like Adventure with RPG elements. It even got me to open its editor and make some stuff in it, soo.. waiting for Hong Kong!

With less free time these months, I find it a lot more enjoying than say Pillars of Eternity. I can't find the time to fully immerse myself in it. The lite-ness of Shadowrun is very welcome.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I guess that's one way to look at it. Which makes you a casual though, so please stop posting thank you.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I guess that's one way to look at it. Which makes you a casual though, so please stop posting thank you.
Only casual idiot here is you. Dragonfall is more complex than PoE. Or both Fallouts.
Only thing Fallouts had over Dragonfall is open world exploration

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Only casual idiot here is you. Dragonfall is more complex than PoE. Or both Fallouts.

possibly_retarded.png

ArchAngel

Arcane

possibly_retarded.png
Which I got from a mod that didn't like my hate in Hatred topic (ironic, I know).

Nothing to do with fact that Dragonfall is one of the best game ever even with its few shortfalls.

eXalted

Arcane

Well, I playa lot of non-casual RPGs when I have the time, the question here is what I want to play right now. So um yeah, if I have 1 free hour I prefer to fire Shadowrun that lose 15 min to read my journal, 20 min to explore the city, 20 min to look at my party inventory and trade, and 5 min to make progress.
:popamole:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

almondblight

Arcane
Dragonfall: DC is one of my top RPGs.

Combat: Better than most RPGs on the Codex top 70 list (granted, that's not saying much). No trash mobs, interesting combat scenarios, some challenging encounters on very hard (maybe depending on your build). Still a bit on the easy side, but overall pretty good.

C&C: Better than most RPGs out there. One of the thing is does really well is put you in situations where you have to consider your choices, not just think "do I want to play the evil path or the good path." It also doesn't reward the good path more than the other paths, unlike many RPGs out there. Multiple endings based not just on the decisions you made during your last mission, but on the mission before that. It's got an actual "join the bad guy ending," as opposed to simply a slide-show/cutscene.

Non-combat gameplay: This usually sucks/is nonexistent in most RPGs, but Dragonfall did a good job at it even if it could stand to have a bit more. You have stuff like reading through a terminal to try to get information about which chemicals to mix together to negate a poison, or exploring a guys office to try to get enough info from his personal life to guess his password. Dialogue isn't always about having the right stats to pass the checks; a number of times you have to carefully navigate the conversation to get what you want.

Skillchecks: Lots of them throughout the game, for lots of skills, attributes, race checks, high-level and low-level checks, fluff checks, checks that make a mission play out completely differently.

Plot: Pretty good with some nice twists and turns. Antagonists had good motivations and a decent plan. Various factions that you interact with were interesting. Main plot was a bit too much on the "save the world" side, but it didn't hurt things too much (and the "save the world" aspect only really shows up at the very end).

Companions: Not bad. You still end up playing counselor for them, but thankfully they don't start a conversation about their childhood in the middle of a mission. If they speak up during a mission, it's to voice their opinions about the mission itself. Blitz's love-life stuff was done pretty well.

Setting: Different from the usual stuff we get. Dragonfall does a good job of selling it, and making the characters fit into it.

The game's fairly linear (though not on rails like SRR) and doesn't have an open world. But most other aspects of it are either good or great.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So did that mod or whatever it's being called that had a more open world and randomized missions keep getting updated or did it die? I forgot the name and never got around to checking it out. I think it moved exclusively to steam or something?

Ninjerk

Arcane
So did that mod or whatever it's being called that had a more open world and randomized missions keep getting updated or did it die? I forgot the name and never got around to checking it out. I think it moved exclusively to steam or something?
Shadowrun Unlimited, probably. I think the author was answering questions for aspiring mod-makers for awhile on the SRR forum (maybe DF, too).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is a greasemonkey plugin for that. 'Enhanced Steam Workshop Downloader'

Go forth a break the disgusting steam mod monopoly my son.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Dragonfall: DC is one of my top RPGs.

Combat: Better than most RPGs on the Codex top 70 list (granted, that's not saying much). No trash mobs, interesting combat scenarios, some challenging encounters on very hard (maybe depending on your build). Still a bit on the easy side, but overall pretty good.

C&C: Better than most RPGs out there. One of the thing is does really well is put you in situations where you have to consider your choices, not just think "do I want to play the evil path or the good path." It also doesn't reward the good path more than the other paths, unlike many RPGs out there. Multiple endings based not just on the decisions you made during your last mission, but on the mission before that. It's got an actual "join the bad guy ending," as opposed to simply a slide-show/cutscene.

Non-combat gameplay: This usually sucks/is nonexistent in most RPGs, but Dragonfall did a good job at it even if it could stand to have a bit more. You have stuff like reading through a terminal to try to get information about which chemicals to mix together to negate a poison, or exploring a guys office to try to get enough info from his personal life to guess his password. Dialogue isn't always about having the right stats to pass the checks; a number of times you have to carefully navigate the conversation to get what you want.

Skillchecks: Lots of them throughout the game, for lots of skills, attributes, race checks, high-level and low-level checks, fluff checks, checks that make a mission play out completely differently.

Plot: Pretty good with some nice twists and turns. Antagonists had good motivations and a decent plan. Various factions that you interact with were interesting. Main plot was a bit too much on the "save the world" side, but it didn't hurt things too much (and the "save the world" aspect only really shows up at the very end).

Companions: Not bad. You still end up playing counselor for them, but thankfully they don't start a conversation about their childhood in the middle of a mission. If they speak up during a mission, it's to voice their opinions about the mission itself. Blitz's love-life stuff was done pretty well.

Setting: Different from the usual stuff we get. Dragonfall does a good job of selling it, and making the characters fit into it.

The game's fairly linear (though not on rails like SRR) and doesn't have an open world. But most other aspects of it are either good or great.
Very good summary/review, I agree with every word.

And open world is overrated, only rarely it turns into a good game. I rather have a more linear game that is excellent in everything then a mediocre open world game (everything Bethesda does).

naossano

Cipher

The way i see it, it is rather save your city agains't a guy that want to save the world.

Gord

Arcane
The way i see it, it is rather save your city agains't a guy that want to save the world.

The catch is that if he would succeed, he'd likely doom the world instead of saving it. It's made clear if you let him do his thing in the DC.

Last edited:

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech

The catch is that if he would succeed, he'd likely doom the world instead of saving it. It's made clear if you let him do his thing in the DC.

But that is some meta-knowledge not hinted in the game (or if it is - only slightly). Shadowrun veterans know what Horrors are and dragons are a bit of a choice of lesser evil. In DF: DC you get to know you've doomed the world by helping him only on ending slides, there is nothing before that would spell it out to the player ;)

So yeah, in game motivation you have at this point is that a guy who wants to
kill millions of your Berlin homies (to enable his dream of racial cleansing against dragons)
might be batshit insane.
Also: he killed Monica, that fuck! Let's straight up murder bazilions of goons for revenge against a guy who kileld someone B&E on his property.

Always was a fan of righteous revenge amongst criminals for getting caught doing criminal shit.

Last edited:

eXalted

Arcane
If anyone wants to satisfy his hunger, I recommend you a new promising UGC (it's in early stages) - The Clean Fire

I hope the author finishes it. Played a little, seems nice. When I decide to play an UGC, I look at its screenshots, if the maps don't feel empty or generic I'm giving it a shot. Unfortunately, most of them feel uninspired.

I'm in no way connected with him.

Gord

Arcane
Didn't the whole revenge for Monika plot relatively quickly turn into "Woah, we're actually in some deep shit ourselves here"?

Sure, revenge was always a possible motivation for you to choose from (and it stayed so throughout the game), but they strongly implied that you needed to get whoever killed Monika because otherwise they would get you, eventually.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Didn't the whole revenge for Monika plot relatively quickly turn into "Woah, we're actually in some deep shit ourselves here"?

Sure, revenge was always a possible motivation for you to choose from (and it stayed so throughout the game), but they strongly implied that you needed to get whoever killed Monika because otherwise they would get you, eventually.

You're right here, the logical conclusion that player's ass is on the line as well comes very quickly.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The conclusion is that the plot is not predictable and it does not have plot holes. That is already better than 99% of movies and books and 99.9% better than other computer games. Add the cool C&C into the mix and this plot is good enough to be considered one of the best ever.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The conclusion is that the plot is not predictable and it does not have plot holes. That is already better than 99% of movies and books and 99.9% better than other computer games. Add the cool C&C into the mix and this plot is good enough to be considered one of the best ever.
You are trolling, right?

darthaegis

Cipher
You are trolling, right?
possibly_retarded.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom