Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just do not build a close combat character in SRR OC. Do not do it. The only thing you need is a full quickness build with pumped assault rifle stats. I initially made a close combat character and I had to restart 25% of the way through.

??? I just played SRR OC for the first time and I went with a katana-wielding troll who was basically a destroyer of worlds. Seemed OP as fuck, to be honest (tons of damage plus AP loss per hit).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just do not build a close combat character in SRR OC. Do not do it. The only thing you need is a full quickness build with pumped assault rifle stats. I initially made a close combat character and I had to restart 25% of the way through.

??? I just played SRR OC for the first time and I went with a katana-wielding troll who was basically a destroyer of worlds. Seemed OP as fuck, to be honest (tons of damage plus AP loss per hit).
Dead Man's Switch is too easy to worry about anything.

TedNugent

Arcane
Maybe that's where I fucked up, I made an unarmed build and I spread too thinly into Wisdom, char, and stam.

Can you post your katana build in DMS? I'd actually be willing to retry it, but melee seemed a lot better in Dragonfall.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe that's where I fucked up, I made an unarmed build and I spread too thinly into Wisdom, char, and stam.

Can you post your katana build in DMS? I'd actually be willing to retry it, but melee seemed a lot better in Dragonfall.
final.jpg

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I don't have my exact build on hand, but it's pretty similar to what Garfunkel and ERYFKRAD posted. I mainly just pumped body, strength, and close combat. About halfway through the game I invested in charisma all the way (which isn't very high for a troll), and every now and then I added a point in melee weapons. I didn't spend karma on anything else.

And remember to use weapons that decrease opponent AP, those are by far the best. So, machetes and katanas, basically.

TedNugent

Arcane
You didn't even bother with Willpower? There's some shit in there to make you go faster and get in extra action point/armor. I figured it was essential for melee, but I guess not.

Only 3 points in dodge, don't you get hit a lot? When I was playing my orc, when he would round a corner he would get a shotgun blast to the face. Submachine guns were also hard to heal because there was multiple shots and it only heals the most recent wound.

It seemed to me that ranged was superior because you get to hide behind cover plus quickness had inbuilt physical damage avoidance. When I made a straight quickness build I could just sit behind a rock and kill a goon at the start of combat. Damage seemed a lot more minimal since hit chance drops off over range, +cover, and quickness gives you avoidance. Assault rifles are way worse in Dragonfall because cover now negates critical hit chance completely.

Ninjerk

Arcane
You didn't even bother with Willpower? There's some shit in there to make you go faster and get in extra action point/armor. I figured it was essential for melee, but I guess not.

Only 3 points in dodge, don't you get hit a lot? When I was playing my orc, when he would round a corner he would get a shotgun blast to the face. Submachine guns were also hard to heal because there was multiple shots and it only heals the most recent wound.

It seemed to me that ranged was superior because you get to hide behind cover plus quickness had inbuilt physical damage avoidance. When I made a straight quickness build I could just sit behind a rock and kill a goon at the start of combat. Damage seemed a lot more minimal since hit chance drops off over range, +cover, and quickness gives you avoidance. Assault rifles are way worse in Dragonfall because cover now negates critical hit chance completely.
RK posted a picture of a melee troll he made that single-handedly stunned like 5 enemies in a turn (using Jazz and maybe other things).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I did an adept for my DMS build. What I figured out halfway through: it actually makes sense to get chrome and spells. Mostly because the adept spells really suck. Still though, the only draw back is increased cooldown and most encounters you won't hit the lower cooldown anyways. If you have enough health/healing items you can just take the burn and cast early too.

Nah, no willpower. I usually brought along someone who could cast haste on me, but that was it.

With high body/good armor/implants, getting hit isn't that big a deal. Not a lot of damage per hit and a ton of HP makes you pretty hardy. Plus you run around taking AP away from everybody, so half the guys can't even attack you (melee would probably be way worse if enemies knew how to use overwatch). Also, now that I'm looking at my build it appears I put more points into melee weapons than I thought, which probably made me do more damage. The big advantage to this build was that people either died in two hits or were stunned.

To be fair, I got the impression (and many people have mentioned it before) that DMS is pretty easy anyways. I wouldn't be surprised at all if ranged weapons actually were superior, but I definitely didn't have a hard time with melee.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finished Dragonfall. While I enjoyed it, I sure hope they can improve on the stability of the game a lot with Hong Kong. On top of a lot of minor issues and annoyances(Like Eiger's reload ability not working a single fucking time) I think I had to reload the game 3 or 4 times during the playthrough just because the combat/matrix got stuck and didn't let me do anything anymore. And make a proper UI for the PC version, not a mobile friendly PoS.

Can't say the game was very hard on hard difficulty, but some times the hit chances felt really weird. Missing 4-6 shots with 70% hit chances while the enemy hits 90% of his.

I went a bit overkill with charisma on my PC and ended up with pretty much a buff-bot in combat. Kind of itching to do another playthrough with a more combat oriented character, or maybe a proper decker as Blitz was a bit of a stinker. A damage oriented mage could be fun as well with Dietrich pulling leylines out of his ass for you.

Can you talk Vauclair out of his plan by the way? I had a shitton of etiquettes, but his checks seemed to mostly be Academic, which I didn't have. Are getting those required? I talked to him for a long time but in the end he wouldn't listen to me. Also wondering what happens if you turn on your team in the end and side with him, but don't spoil that for me plx, still thinking of replaying with a more combat oriented PC and doing just that.

Also, did I miss something or was it explained somewhere why the last few missions were restricted to a team of 4? Would've seemed a lot more logical to have the whole crew with you.

Ackermanus

Educated
I went a bit overkill with charisma on my PC and ended up with pretty much a buff-bot in combat. Kind of itching to do another playthrough with a more combat oriented character, or maybe a proper decker as Blitz was a bit of a stinker. A damage oriented mage could be fun as well with Dietrich pulling leylines out of his ass for you.

You only ever go overkill in Charisma if you have more than 6 points, because with conjuration 6 you get Haste IV, arguably the best spell in the game. Even if you are stock full of cyberware or bioware, you still want conjuration because you have enough spell slots to be constantly hasted (although you have to waste a round every 3 or 4 getting buffed, not really a bid deal).

If you also take into account that Charisma (and etiquettes) is one of the most, if not the most, checked stat in dialogues, there is little reason not to pick it. Only exception is if you are a rigger, because you want to level your drone-related abilities until you have 4 AP in each drone. Even then, while the game has challenging fights, with decent tactics you will most often prevail, so you might prefer to lag a bit in INT anyway to enjoy a few extra bits of story.

As for your spoilery questions (without ruining anything for you):

Yes you can convince him he is wrong. Did you watch all of his brother's recordings? I believe those are essential to get him to give up. Not that it helps you in the final fight, AFAIK, but it makes you feel a little better inside.

As for turning on your team, yes, you can do it, and there is a special ending for it. I really encourage you to see it for yourself.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
You only ever go overkill in Charisma if you have more than 6 points

Yes you can convince him he is wrong. Did you watch all of his brother's recordings? I believe those are essential to get him to give up. Not that it helps you in the final fight, AFAIK, but it makes you feel a little better inside.

I had 10 :D

Yeah I did watch them all and used them in the conversation with him, but I couldn't convince him in the end :?, which made me think that maybe I needed to get one of those academic checks. Maybe I'll try it again at some point, I think one of my saves is right at that spot.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My first Dragonfall playthrough. Guys, this would be my GOTY, easily, save for one small thing - THE DUMBFUCKING RETARDED R.N.G.!!!!!!

:rage::rage::rage:

Every hit chance feel like it's actually half as much. Can't fucking hit the barn door to save my life. Literally.

Can't play on Hard like this. Gotta switch to some casual difficulty. I wanna keep my sanity, my keyboard and my monitor undamaged.

Why do developers fail so horribly at RNG? First Wasteland 2, then Blackguard, then this. How fucking hard can it be. Jesus.

Stompa

Arcane
Use Aim spell, love it, worship it, name your children after it. Also mark shit with deckers. And unbalance shit with shotguns and grenades. And do some other thingies that are spoiler.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Use Aim spell, love it, worship it, name your children after it. Also mark shit with deckers. And unbalance shit with shotguns and grenades. And do some other thingies that are spoiler.
I don't think the complaint is that you can't buff accuracy--it is that the advertised percentages are not...
accurate :yeah:

DeepOcean

Arcane
The trick is to invest all your points not on the weapons skills on the beginning, they only improve the critical chance but accuracy is more important on the beginning, you can't critically hit what you don't hit at all. If you are going melee, go straight to 7 to 9 both on strengh and melee then start playing around, same with guns, 7 to 9 both on agility and ranged minimum then go to the weapons. Later I got some cyber that allowed me to mark targets like a decker + a smart linked assault rifle and your accuracy problem is gone.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Do you have the latest patch?

Probably. Bought it just last week from GoG. Should be current.

And yeah, I'm marking, using Aim and Unbalance but at 60 or 70 % it's just a miss after miss after miss. I almost had to repeat the whole "Kill the Rigger" run because AI was kicking my ass to the ground ("Log in the Matrix and lock the reinforcement out. You have two turns. Good luck. Lol."). Had to save scum the shit out of it.

I haven't read no forums, no faqs, no nothing. Went in blind. Has anyone else noticed that shit? Dunno, can't stand retarded RNGs.

Apart from that, the game is fucking brilliant.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Do you have smartlink + the implant for it? it gives you 10% accuracy. Also i had far less trouble with rng after i switched to automatic fire with assault rifle + sniper rifle. you just wreck everything with it then.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I haven't read no forums, no faqs, no nothing. Went in blind. Has anyone else noticed that shit? Dunno, can't stand retarded RNGs.
GoG or Steam? If GoG, is the last version?
Guns, Magic or melee? How much points on those skills? Are you flanking the enemies? Trying to shoot enemies through heavy cover is a BAD idea.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bought a smartlink rifle and I'm trying to flank the bitches and it's a bit better. Running with a rifle shaman and now I'm pumping Ranged Combat instead of Conjuring which seemed quite underwhelming so far.

But still, the amount of misses at around 80% is astounding. RNG's definitely dodgy.

tuluse

Arcane
RNG's definitely dodgy.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Every game in the world uses the same goddamn rng. Actually write down every miss and make and what your percentage chance to hit is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom