Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fuckit, I'll just keep going with Dragonfall. If DMS has a good story, I'll play it regardless of shit gameplay. They patched in saving at any time, right?

Still shudder every time I look at my character's model. Was it really so hard to give more than one face option?
Just don't play past the cemetery. Literally no redeeming value after that.
The most fun run is after that.

When you have to get through the hallway with the turrets and then defend the room with the matrix jack

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Codexers can have an unusual definition for the phrase "redeeming value"

Ninjerk

Arcane
Fuckit, I'll just keep going with Dragonfall. If DMS has a good story, I'll play it regardless of shit gameplay. They patched in saving at any time, right?

Still shudder every time I look at my character's model. Was it really so hard to give more than one face option?

When you have to get through the hallway with the turrets and then defend the room with the matrix jack
It was trivially easy.

naossano

Cipher

The story is much less interesting after the cemetery, but the design of the combats improve after that. Without spoiling much, i recall at least two mission that deal with Turn-based combat in a very clever way. It would be a shame to miss that.

roshan

Arcane
I suggest playing Dragonfall Director's Cut first, before DMS. And then after that, port DMS to the Director's Cut engine and then play it. DMS is a fun, short romp, it's pretty good if you had a blast playing Dragonfall and need another dose. DMS in comparision to Dragonfall DC feels like an expansion pack or DLC campaign.

Lhynn

Arcane

It was trivially easy.
I bow to your tactical skills, you are simply too good Ninjerk.

But yeah, it was.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Aaaand... Just finished it. 21 hours it took me. That was the best RPG I played in a long time. From start to finish kept me interested Now I want moar. :<

Talked the Doctor out of his plan. Destroyed APEX, the lab and the dragon.

Nice conversation at the end - cliffhanger urgh.

Also - everyone should play the game because of this alone:

Makes me go all :fuuyeah:

Last edited:

Greatness

Cipher
The entire game is fucking awesome. A bit lacking in c&c and maybe a too simplistic character system, but everything else is a massive incline over just about anything released in the last decade. If we redone the top 70 list today this would deserve to be in top 10 at least, maybe top 5.

I'm still :retarded: as to how people preferred D:OS.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
The entire game is fucking awesome. A bit lacking in c&c and maybe a too simplistic character system, but everything else is a massive incline over just about anything released in the last decade. If we redone the top 70 list today this would deserve to be in top 10 at least, maybe top 5.

:bro:

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech

:bro:

DOS writing was odd (Larian is quite specific) and everything fell flat after first area, even if combat was pretty good. More of a guilty pleasure, that game.

But judging by the amount of fun created and immershuns SR: DF >>> D:OS

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
D:OS deserved to win because on the Codex, ambition and open-endedness are always rewarded over conservatively "tight" design. You're talking about a game where you can do all sorts of stuff in an interactive world versus a game where you fight battles and click dialogue options in a more-or-less linear succession of pretty environments.

It wasn't a long time ago that HBS was considered a hopeless case on this forum, so they should be plenty proud of reaching second place.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That description works at a glance but is way too polarized. Some of those "pretty environments" in Dragonfall entailed some fairly developed interactions with the environment while a lot of the openness in Original Sin went nowhere.

It's really much closer than that.

Tigranes

Arcane
Reading Dragonfall dialogue was more fun than doing all the crazy shit in D:OS combat?

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
D:OS deserved to win because on the Codex, ambition and open-endedness are always rewarded over conservatively "tight" design. You're talking about a game where you can do all sorts of stuff in an interactive world versus a game where you fight battles and click dialogue options in pretty environments.

It wasn't a long time ago that HBS was considered a hopeless case on this forum, so they should be plenty proud of reaching second place.

What's more important though, failing (abysmally) on big dreams, that ultimately reduce the quality of your efforts and produce something that can be pointed to, and with certainty, said to be subpar or unsatisfying? Or sticking to tight design and creating something of a smaller scale that fullfils in almost all of it's goals?

I like big ideas.. but I like competence better.

almondblight

Arcane
T"pretty environments" in Dragonfall entailed some fairly developed interactions with the environment

I liked both DMS and Dragonfall, but this I don't remember... ?

Some missions made good use of the parser/key pad - stuff like needing to research which chemicals were needed to render a poisonous gas inert (and then telling the system which gas to put in) or guessing a persons password from the personal stuff they had in their office. Nothing mind-blowing, but certainly a step above the "click to win" skill checks you usually get. Being able to hack cameras was also a nice touch.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
T"pretty environments" in Dragonfall entailed some fairly developed interactions with the environment

I liked both DMS and Dragonfall, but this I don't remember... ?

Well, for example, the APEX mission involves
(1) trying to survive wave after wave of attacks in the meat world while (2) blazing through the Matrix, and (3) fighting through those waves to reach servers. The final fight entails exploding floors over enemies below to thin out insurmountable odds to preserve scarce resources for the boss battle. Things like that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Drone shafts, leylines, matrix-controlled turrets, summoning spots?

Those are all hand-placed whereas in D:OS the interactions are systematic. ^_^

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom