Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
As a rigger your ability is capped by your drones. It's a shitty existence. I wouldn't mind it so much if I don't have to be the ones opening fucking doors, triggering combat and standing under 4 gun barrels.

Bump difficulty to Hard if you want a slight challenge but IMO Rigger is pretty much just a boring pet class.
You might be inclined to take Quickness and one Ranged Weapon of Choice - but I went past 2-3 mission with just regular drone play and couldn't feel the challenge - I even held up upgrading cause I want to buy Class A at the very least.

I did dip a few points on Conjuring for cheap Haste but it was just Decking/Rigging for the most part. Now I command 2 Drones with Bonus AP each. Ho ho ho.

Things that might've made the game too easy.
Buy Eiger an Assault Rifle early game and watch her clean room when Crammed and Hasted with Full Auto
Give Glory a Taser Pistol once she unlocks her 3rd weapon slot and watch her just crowd control two enemies in one round when Hasted. Her pistol dps is not so great once double-tap is used up, but her Claw is amazingly effective. Best move is to just to claw up people and double tap at point blank.
When using Rifle you can Full Auto for easy dps and kills - but this is limited by ammo, not so if you carry 2 or 3 rifles. Yes, you can replace all Eiger's guns with AR if you wish. Buff her up with Aim, Cram and Haste and watch her full auto twice non-stop per round.

The taser pistol is a joke too (well anything with -AP is a joke.) I never bothered with the grenades but I played the first lodge mission and used the dwarf woman to stun people perpetually while my rifler bodied people. It also made the APEX fight incredibly tedious.

How about a physical adept? Do they have any fun casting or is it just shit like 'buff melee dmg'?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Physical Adept augments their melee damage and unlock special moves by investing points on Willpower/Chi
The kicker here is that you need STR as well to hit the melee strikes. I'd say treat Chi as a way to augment your melee damage instead of your main move sets.
Focus on STR more - I'd stop at the AP damaging move first for example before going thru the Chi upgrading. Willpower only resists Magic and affect Magic Accuracy so it's not much of a buff for your melee smasher.

set

Cipher
It's pretty easy to get 2 attributes to 8. Shouldn't be too bad to get fists to 8 as well. I was able to make a human blader who also had enough Charisma to sneak through lots of the game and also enough body to take hits. I don't really see the point in adepts though, you do invest a lot just to get alternative melee skills. Meanwhile, I always had more than enough "to do" as a blader, not liked I needed more active abilities to accomplish anything. Seems like they still need to balance shit for the Shanghai expansion.

I'm kind of curious if there's also any point in making your main character a troll? I mean, you don't really get enough points in dragonfall to even approach maxing our your strength AND your weapon skill? Even if you do get enough points, it's like - those will be the only skills you have at all. You'll fail any other story-centric attribute checks. Does it seem worth it?

=

Has anyone noticed the funny bug where AP consumed isn't saved when you save your game? By that, I mean, if you have at least 1 person in the matrix and and at least 1 person outside the matrix and you save your game, then load that game in the opposite environment, your turns roll over? I found this exploit hilarious as I was able to perpetuate turns indefinitely (kill some guys in the matrix, save, kill some guys in the real world, load the game, notice my matrix guy has full AP again -- the reverse is also true). If the final boss gives you any trouble, until they patch this, you can also just extend your turn indefinitely.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
It's pretty easy to get 2 attributes to 8. Shouldn't be too bad to get fists to 8 as well. I was able to make a human blader who also had enough Charisma to sneak through lots of the game and also enough body to take hits. I don't really see the point in adepts though, you do invest a lot just to get alternative melee skills. Meanwhile, I always had more than enough "to do" as a blader, not liked I needed more active abilities to accomplish anything. Seems like they still need to balance shit for the Shanghai expansion.

I'm kind of curious if there's also any point in making your main character a troll? I mean, you don't really get enough points in dragonfall to even approach maxing our your strength AND your weapon skill? Even if you do get enough points, it's like - those will be the only skills you have at all. You'll fail any other story-centric attribute checks. Does it seem worth it?

=

Has anyone noticed the funny bug where AP consumed isn't saved when you save your game? By that, I mean, if you have at least 1 person in the matrix and and at least 1 person outside the matrix and you save your game, then load that game in the opposite environment, your turns roll over? I found this exploit hilarious as I was able to perpetuate turns indefinitely (kill some guys in the matrix, save, kill some guys in the real world, load the game, notice my matrix guy has full AP again -- the reverse is also true). If the final boss gives you any trouble, until they patch this, you can also just extend your turn indefinitely.

I think there's enough. I am pretty sure I was around 9 for quickness, ranged and rifle so I think a pure STR/Body should be fine, especially since augmentations count towards the racial limit (at least I think so...I think my Legs of Quickness or whatever were redundant as I had already maxed the stat.)

RK47

Patron
The attractiveness of Troll is you get 4 Karma Point worth of Stat Ups compared to most races.
+1 Anything costs 2 KP.
Hence humans gets 3 KP which could go to either starting stat with 1 KP left over, while the Troll gets +1 Body and Strength which pretty much dictates Troll should go for a close combat build if not why would you take the STR bonus? It's completely irrelevant outside close combat. There are no STR requirement on guns whatsoever, which is a missed opportunity.

Like I said previously in another thread, I didn't even think that hard as a first timer to this system, I went Street Samurai Troll and just pumped STR / Close Combat / Melee Weapons > Machete > Katana

Ninjerk

Arcane
I'm more annoyed you cannot buy duplicate weapons.
Seriously, dev - I don't care and nor should you. If I bought the same gun twice by mistake it's my fault or because I have an evil plan with three stun guns-equipped Street Samurai wielding a bad-ass katana. :smug:
I thought that was peculiar as well.

Good to know I can replace all of Eiger's weapons, too. I've found myself very underwhelmed by her ability to hit things that aren't at long distances.

RK47

Patron
Her shotgun is no slouch. The crit range and damage on that thing can just destroy high armor enemies till the Armor Penetrating Rifles come to the market (Yeah, fuck upscaling of Gun Markets)
I still laugh when I tried a maxed out Mage and had to contend with really crappy offensive spells while Eiger just mow everything down with a basic AK.

roshan

Arcane
Very Hard is the only way to play. Otherwise you'll just roflstomp everything no matter what you do. Well, unless you just start putting points into goddamn everything.

---

Anyway, does anybody know if Glory's "hail of bullets" works with that revolver she gets later on? The skill reminds me of double-tap and chain shot -- both of which cannot be used with revolvers.

I think it does.

Tigranes

Arcane
Playing the final battle right now. The final mission gameplay-wise is terrible; even on VH you are far too powerful and it's a chore fighting the same shitty mobs 10 times.

The endgame story is quite interesting - I still think the story/writing is decent and nothing better, but it's good that they didn't play up the whole 'twist' as an OMG TWIST (a la DMS), and they didn't play up the villain as OMG LOOK ITS THE NIETZSCHE THING JUDGE HIM JUDGE HIM. At least, not yet...

Cromwell

Arcane
Buy Eiger an Assault Rifle early game and watch her clean room when Crammed and Hasted with Full Auto
Give Glory a Taser Pistol once she unlocks her 3rd weapon slot and watch her just crowd control two enemies in one round when Hasted. Her pistol dps is not so great once double-tap is used up, but her Claw is amazingly effective. Best move is to just to claw up people and double tap at point blank.
When using Rifle you can Full Auto for easy dps and kills - but this is limited by ammo, not so if you carry 2 or 3 rifles. Yes, you can replace all Eiger's guns with AR if you wish. Buff her up with Aim, Cram and Haste and watch her full auto twice non-stop per round.

whatnow? I thought you cant give theese runners items because they will lose everything you give them after the run? How do I buy them weapons?

Also i did the first mission for the lodge, is there any way to shoot the guy who gives it to you in the face?

RK47

Patron
You 'loan' the items to them. The item will return to your stash post missions.
And you mentioned the runners for hire - I don't even mind picking a few of them for fun. Lucky Strike Katana + AR was effective and it's just 250 Y per run.
I don't think they scale though with levels.

As for the Lodge? I can't remember - you mean the cafe guy? Nope.

Cromwell

Arcane
As for the Lodge? I can't remember - you mean the cafe guy? Nope.

exactly. meh, I wish I could waste the smug fucker. Thanks for the tip with the weapons, I looked it up a while ago and the dumb internet people said the weapons vanish. So I sold all the good stuff I found since I`m a shaman <.<

roshan

Arcane
whatnow? I thought you cant give theese runners items because they will lose everything you give them after the run? How do I buy them weapons?

Also i did the first mission for the lodge, is there any way to shoot the guy who gives it to you in the face?

Are there additional missions for the Lodge? I only got the first one.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Are there additional missions for the Lodge? I only got the first one.
So far they've contacted me twice while doing runs to ask me to modify what I'm doing on the run. The first wasn't invasive (I had to let someone get away), but they want me to fuck over a client in a current run.

roshan

Arcane
Wow interesting! I never knew their missions integrated into existing runs. I did the Black Lodge quest last and was surprised that there was no more content for it.

Cromwell

Arcane
Can I actually influence the story by doing something, especially the missions for your comrades?

Consul

Arbiter
I'm going to start my first playthrough. Been thinking about making an adept, I heard that this class isn't very good. After reading some posts here I'm considering playing on very hard , how are adepts on this difficulty? Is it mandatory to focus only on melee, health, class spells and not putting karma in other attributes? Will I gimp myself if I put some points in mage spells for ranged attacks (I know better options would probably be throwing knifes or guns) or charisma for etiquette?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Can I actually influence the story by doing something, especially the missions for your comrades?

There are a few choices that influence the narrative, a couple of which are fairly significant. Mostly it stands out for having multiple solutions and outcomes though.

Tigranes

Arcane

Yes? Explain to me how the final mission is fun. As I say, I like how the story unfurls, but in terms of gameplay, it's the same as every other mission, but three times as long, and actually features less mildly interesting mechanics. You can look through the cracks to the floor below, but it ends up being a colossal waste of time except for the one explosion which is caused at the one place with charges which is enabled by the one terminal which is accessed by the one key. Most importantly, the enemies are either far too weak to even be of interest (e.g. the mobs at the very final battle, you can basically ignore), or are walking sacks of HP.

At least in other missions you were still not strong enough, or, like the APEX mission, there were some interesting set pieces.

Anyway, as a whole, enjoyed it. Definitely better than SRR, but definitely the same game at the core - there's no fundamental difference or huge leap in quality. Which makes sense, because you know, it's an expansion. It was very much worth the $6/7 for tablet and I might play it again if I get bored.

Did an unarmed man with a bit of magic and went down the obvious choices, I might try an intellligent decker/rigger and then pick the most arseholish, burning-bridges options.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes? Explain to me how the final mission is fun. As I say, I like how the story unfurls, but in terms of gameplay, it's the same as every other mission, but three times as long, and actually features less mildly interesting mechanics. You can look through the cracks to the floor below, but it ends up being a colossal waste of time except for the one explosion which is caused at the one place with charges which is enabled by the one terminal which is accessed by the one key. Most importantly, the enemies are either far too weak to even be of interest (e.g. the mobs at the very final battle, you can basically ignore), or are walking sacks of HP.

At least in other missions you were still not strong enough, or, like the APEX mission, there were some interesting set pieces.

Anyway, as a whole, enjoyed it. Definitely better than SRR, but definitely the same game at the core - there's no fundamental difference or huge leap in quality. Which makes sense, because you know, it's an expansion. It was very much worth the $6/7 for tablet and I might play it again if I get bored.

Did an unarmed man with a bit of magic and went down the obvious choices, I might try an intellligent decker/rigger and then pick the most arseholish, burning-bridges options.

From Roxor's Dragonfall review: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9394

As you may remember, the main issues with the OC’s missions were their corridor-ish maps that didn't leave room for different approaches, the lack of decking opportunities, and the checkpoint system that didn’t allow going back and forth between maps. Every single one of these flaws has been fixed. In Dragonfall, every level gives you the opportunity to you access the Matrix and do funny things, like taking control of turrets or spying on enemies with cameras, and there are lots of those excellent set-pieces where you have to cover a decker in combat. Some missions take place in multi-floor buildings, and while you shouldn’t expect maze-like levels, there is still considerably more to do in them than just run and gun. A few of them can even be completed without firing a single shot if you have the proper skills, and most have a few side objectives as well. Navigating around the maps is much smoother now, because the game properly turns off turn-based mode outside of combat. The last mission, in particular, is simply brilliant, and I wish there were more runs like it in the game – it’s actually almost a straight-up dungeon crawl, with multiple levels, navigating through dark tunnels, finding the means to tip the scales in your favour, while coming across lots of nasty-ass enemies that slowly chip away your medkits.

I agree with this, but if the dungeon crawling aspect of it doesn't click for you, then I can see why you wouldn't get it and would instead want a more standard cyberpunk scenario.

Cromwell

Arcane
I'm going to start my first playthrough. Been thinking about making an adept, I heard that this class isn't very good. After reading some posts here I'm considering playing on very hard , how are adepts on this difficulty? Is it mandatory to focus only on melee, health, class spells and not putting karma in other attributes? Will I gimp myself if I put some points in mage spells for ranged attacks (I know better options would probably be throwing knifes or guns) or charisma for etiquette?

Charisma and the etiquettes can be useful for several things but also are often flavour. I dont think it hourts if you go for 6 ch and get the third etiquette but it wouldnt pump it to 8 for the fourth since you dont use shaman spells. I play a shaman so I dont know about the adept but I think you already have two categories to put karma in namely willpower and strenght or quickness.

As for the etiquettes I have street gang security and corporate, I dont remember using street for anything. I had a mission were I could use the shadowrunner etiquette but only one and I know of two times were I could have used the socialite never saw academic. But I am early in the game I think just preparing for the atztech run and having done all optional stuff I could find apart from the lodge runs so maybe that stuff will pop up later.

Normally I would use the etiquettes for some larping but I am not really sure they are equally usefull.

cfisher2833

Learned
Charisma and the etiquettes can be useful for several things but also are often flavour. I dont think it hourts if you go for 6 ch and get the third etiquette but it wouldnt pump it to 8 for the fourth since you dont use shaman spells. I play a shaman so I dont know about the adept but I think you already have two categories to put karma in namely willpower and strenght or quickness.

As for the etiquettes I have street gang security and corporate, I dont remember using street for anything. I had a mission were I could use the shadowrunner etiquette but only one and I know of two times were I could have used the socialite never saw academic. But I am early in the game I think just preparing for the atztech run and having done all optional stuff I could find apart from the lodge runs so maybe that stuff will pop up later.

Normally I would use the etiquettes for some larping but I am not really sure they are equally usefull.

I think you get a few Academic etiquette options at the very end of the game, but other than that, I don't recall it being useful. Security is without a doubt the most important etiquette, with Corporate being what I would go with as a secondary etiquette. The gang etiquette is also quite good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom