Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Ugh, I didn't realize the Directors Cut had a new set of UCG on Steam.

That sucks, I don't want to reinstall the original version just to play some UCGs.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Which one of these fanmade campaigns would be recommended for someone who wants difficult combat encounters and not a lot of reading?
IIRC Shadowrun Unlimited is a large module with a ton of combat of varying difficulty.

Heresiarch

Prophet
I haven't finished the game yet (only finished one of the team member's storyline) but I already have the NEED THAT I WANT MOAR OF THIS GAME.

Too bad the game engine is clumsy compared to DOS and WL2, but the atmosphere and writing are just awesome, and it has very very interesting C&C and tons of unexpected things going around. Can't wait for the third campaign.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My interest kinda dipped after 8 or so hours, but now it's rising again. Moving along in the story, making a bit overdue improvements to my character, which helps make my performance on missions less terrible, and the setting is still quite great.

Though I wouldn't say, like some others, that Dragonfall is a dramatic improvement over Dead Man's Switch. At least so far, for me it's about as good but with a better cast of characters and a bit more challenge.

The Aztechnology run I just did was great, and challenging. Had to reload more times than I would like, but at least that's better than a cakewalk.

I think I'm probably meagre at combat in general.

No Idea how far along I am right now. Just raised the 50k for Alice.

Akratus

Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not really struggling so much as inadequately preparing.

Never would have guessed I was anywhere near the end. Surprises me.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
I thoroughly enjoyed this game (oh, yeah, sorry.. Hi.. first post :)), I thought it was better than Wasteland 2 and D:OS.. it's just a shame it's taken a year to get to this stage, a fun plot and the combat was a treat.

I could list it's issues but they pale in comparison to the issues that the above games have. I hope they do more.

dryan

Arcane
Decided to replay Dead Man Switch using the trick that Shadowfang posted to run it on DC. Working fine so far. The atmosphere of DMS is so much better than DF. Shame that it was such a short campaign.

dryan

Arcane
Decided to replay Dead Man Switch using the trick that Shadowfang posted to run it on DC. Working fine so far. The atmosphere of DMS is so much better than DF. Shame that it was such a short campaign.
Do you think the experience becomes more enjoyable this way?
I think it is, because now positioning in combat matters, with the flanking rules. Also, % to hit seems more punishing than the original, although I'm not entirely qualified to judge, since I first played DMS either on Hard or on Normal, and now I'm playing it on Very Hard, like I did Dragonfall.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
So, what's the latest version of SRR: DF DC, chummers? Is it time to grab my Renraku Kraftwerk-1 and go decking?

Seriously just go play it.

It's one of the best RPG releases in a very very long time. Bio (who can just go die anyway), Inxile and Larian all look as if they've been standing with their thumb up their ass in comparison, and I had some very bad things to say about the original release of SRR.

Play it or I'll hate you. ;)

Akratus

Patron
Come on, it's not THAT good. It's a good game, but it has some problems, like how the interface is one of the worst I've ever seen.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Come on, it's not THAT good. It's a good game, but it has some problems, like how the interface is one of the worst I've ever seen.

Opinion is a wonderful thing.

But yes, from my pov it is that good and I think the UI is fine, nothing wrong with it, eminently usable.

There are 'features' that are missing, such as npc on the fly inventory, or even a proper PC inventory and persistance, but it's still all streets ahead of the crap inxile and larian tried to foist upon us.

Good story and good combat, inxile failed on both counts and Larian managed some adequate combat but nothing else.

D: DC is awesome in comparison, and really good on it's own.

Athelas

Arcane
it's still all streets ahead of the crap inxile and larian tried to foist upon us.

Good story and good combat, inxile failed on both counts and Larian managed some adequate combat but nothing else.
:hmmm:

I really don't get the constant gushing praise for SRR. The things it does best are purely aesthetical (purdy 2d backgrounds and one of the best soundtracks ever).

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
it's still all streets ahead of the crap inxile and larian tried to foist upon us.

I really don't get the high praise for SRR. The things it does best are purely aesthetical (purdy 2d backgrounds and one of the best soundtracks ever).

I didn't say SRR, I'm talking about Dragonfall: DC they are two entirely different beasts, out of curiosity, what are your favourite recent rpgs? Then I can judge if your opinion has any merit or not. lol. ;)

Last edited:

dryan

Arcane

I really don't get the constant gushing praise for SRR. The things it does best are purely aesthetical (purdy 2d backgrounds and one of the best soundtracks ever).
Combat is pretty good (on Very Hard).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nice 2D visuals, great soundtrack, pretty good writing and at least decently done tactical turn-based combat... but someone's gotta bitch anyway.

rogozhin

Cipher
What I find amazing about DF DC (didn't play DMS nor the original DF release) isn't even so much that it's truly great in some aspects, but that it isn't bad in any. As a storyfag (or perhaps rather atmospherefag) who also loves well done tactical combat, the absence of both filler combat and stupid or lackluster writing meant that the game was constantly fun from beginning to end. Which is something that really can't be said about Kodex Klassics like PS:T and Arcanum, as much as they deserve their praise.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
What I find amazing about DF DC (didn't play DMS nor the original DF release) isn't even so much that it's truly great in some aspects, but that it isn't bad in any. As a storyfag (or perhaps rather atmospherefag) who also loves well done tactical combat, the absence of both filler combat and stupid or lackluster writing meant that the game was constantly fun from beginning to end. Which is something that really can't be said about Kodex Klassics like PS:T and Arcanum, as much as they deserve their praise.

Haven't worked out how to brofist yet (I suspect there are conditions to be met).. but yeah *Thumbs up*

The atmosphere was true to itself, no cliche, no self-aware humour, no atrocious nudge-nudging.

I can't say anything bad about the game at all, bar some features that would be nice to have, but the lack of aren't bad in themselves.

EDIT.. but I feel you should get a kick in the balls for anything said against PS:T or Arcanum (even though I've never managed to finish this despite the amount of times I've tried, because of corrupted saves in the dwarf mines/city part (?), I'll have to try it again soon.) ;)

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Hmmm. I would say it could be more open for sure, and still has some limited-scope aspects that bug me. You're mostly right though, there's no intended aspect of the game I would say was done poorly.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
I would say it could be more open for sure, and still has some limited-scope aspects that bug me.

I would have said it would be more appropriate for those to be classifieds as 'features', certainly 'more open', but ok, what it did do can't be faulted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom