Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

DeepOcean

Arcane
Cyberpunk and idealism are things that don't go well together.
Do you realize that the people who originally created Cyberpunk put it together with idealism? Well, a sliding scale of idealism vs cynicism but back in the late 70's and early 80's, the whole point of cyberpunk emerging was to marry "20 minutes into the future" low sci-fi with ideals of punk. Both Shadowrun and Cyberpunk 2020 had it from Day 1. William Gibson's Neuromancer had it, FFS.
I'm aware of it, what I mean by idealism is a naive idea of the good guys versus the bad guys, the protagonist on Neuromancer isn't exactly a good guy. He shot people for money and lived as a petty criminal and total outcast on a technological shithole and was a self centered asshole at the start of the story. Eiger, Dietrich, Glory and Blitz are way too good two shoes with their dark past just estrategically hinted with the objective of making them more cyberpunkish but still way too little and way too safe.

You need to counterbalance idealism with cynism or just become really annoying. Even the supposed good guys on shadowrun are psychopatic assholes that only do something good because it coincide more with their needs than ideals.

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
Question: I did the recruitment test for the Black Lodge as the very last quest of them all. Had I done it earlier, would I have gotten more missions? Separate ones, or integrated into the other missions?

I think the game could be still be significantly better though. Maybe an additional 3 or 4 missions, some more people to talk to in the Kreuzbasar together with maybe a few easy fedex type quests and reactivity, more non-hostile characters to interact with during the missions...

Nuclear Explosion

Has there been a single RPG since then that is better than Dragonfall? Because if there has, it has escaped me...
Knights of The Chalice, Blackguards, D: OS, New Vegas, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Multi-headed Cow

I think the game could be still be significantly better though. Maybe an additional 3 or 4 missions, some more people to talk to in the Kreuzbasar together with maybe a few easy fedex type quests and reactivity, more non-hostile characters to interact with during the missions...
It definitely could be better but it's still pretty great. I was really surprised by Dragonfall. DMS was a big disappointment to me, to the point where I didn't play Dragonfall until months after release since I had it sitting around in my account from Kickstarter but couldn't haul my ass into playing it. Once I finally did I had a really good time. Only taken a short look at Director's Diamond of the Year edition but it seems yet another step forward (Showed it to a family member who had been beating his head against Wasteland 2, then he picked up the Shadowrun double pack that evening) with the tweaked up combat and party management, etc. The editor sadly never became a glorious second Neverwinter Nights but as far as base games go they did a lot better than with DMS. Really kinda hoping they do another big Shadowrun adventure with that engine. No idea how well Dragonfall did for them but now that it seems like they've hit their stride it'd be cool if we got more.

Also gotta say that Dragonfall is still a good chunk better than Wasteland 2. We were talking Wasteland which segued into Shadowrun when I mentioned I made my WL2 party out of the Dragonfall team, which led to me showing him the game and reminding myself how enjoyable Dragonfall is. Plus it was my first look at the improved edition which was neat. Can actually have a sniper that gets to shoot melee units before they can close! Shocking!

Gord

Arcane
I had originally, but the patch to either 2.04 or 2.05 fixed them for me.
Another patch should come soon, it's already up as beta on Steam.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Having massive performance issues with the game, anyone else with scrolling and movement slugginish?

My computer should be running it fine but yes, I'm only getting strangely 30 FPS. That was also the case for Dead Man Switch though.

I blame Linux, though.

Also, call me silly, but I thoroughly enjoyed Dead Man Switch. The reason being probably that it had been ages since I last played a turn based RPG.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Ah yes, that I agree with. I thought you were making a blanket statement that any media with Cyberpunk theme should only appear between black-and-grey morality.

I think it does, yeah. Cybperpunk is by definition, a dystopian world. The "least of all evils" approach is paramount. If you want a more optimistic approach, you have post-cyberpunk stuff, where the protags can be good guys (Deus Ex).

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyone knows if the fiddled with the difficult settings again in the 2.0.5 patch? I'm playing the game on hard and it seems easier then when I messed around with the first 2-3 but missions in the unpatched game. Then again, it might be just me going trough the same content for the nth number of times and just having an easier time because of it.

dryan

Arcane
Then again, it might be just me going trough the same content for the nth number of times and just having an easier time because of it.

It's probably this. I'm playing on very hard, but since I started over so many times to try alts, now I'm having a very easy time, hardly ever needing to use a BuMoNa trauma kit. As far as I know, they just fixed that bug where the hit chance stacked against you every time you loaded a game saved during a run. Other than that, difficulty seems to be the same.

Anyway, you should try playing on very hard, because lower than that is way too easy.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Question for when I complete it : apparently, the mods available for the Director's cut are different from the base version judging from the Steam workshop. Is this because they merely have two entries in the Steam database, or are the mods I find for the base version compatible with the Director's Cut ?

Multi-headed Cow

Just play the Director Cut as is. No mods needed.
He's saying after he beats it. New adventures and shit.

And I haven't tried it myself taxalot but I've heard that they are (Kind of) compatible. You very well may get bugs and weirdness (Occasional nude NPCs was mentioned) but it'll run. You can even dump the DMS campaign in Dragonfall DC for the souped up mechanics.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just finished Dragonfall (Director's Cut). Very nice altogether. 8/10, will play again.

Nitpicker's Minor Flaws:

- Plot gets a bit too cheesy towards the end, with all the treehugging and hippie let's all live together in peace propaganda.
- No stealth whatsoever (although, truth be told, I never felt the "need" for it: it's just weird to see an RPG without it).
- Nukers still equal easy mode, especially when it comes to spending Karma Points.
- Very little environment interaction.
- Decking and the Matrix are still massively understated.
- C&C still pathetic.
- AI: Artificial Inanity.

Overall the campaign is really good, and a major improvement over the original campaign in regard to most aspects, especially story-wise. Characters are a bit more interesting and better fleshed out, and a couple of their "personal story" missions were really good (Glory's, above all). Missions feature a better design overall. C&C is still fairly absent: some choices -DO- give the player some thinking to do, but unfortunately turn out to be mostly inconsequential if not on the very short run.

Again, a very good game, and the more so considered the dry spell the subgenre (cyberpunk/scifi) has been suffering.

dryan

Arcane
What the fuck? I was doing APEX's mission (siding with her) and she had the medic program inside the matrix. Then I had to reload and instead of medic she had firewall.

Monocause

Arcane
Finished Dragonfall yesterday. While it felt good and i definitely got my money's worth, I felt half the game went against the other, so to speak, or that the core mechanics in the game were bit disjointed:

1) The way skill checks work in conversation feels annoying. If I don't have enough strength to pick a certain option, don't even show me that option. It feels like the game is constantly taunting you to spread your karma points around but then punishes you if you do so as that makes your character significantly less viable in combat.

1a) Now i know most of the additional conv options is story fluff and only occasionally alternative objective paths/bonus goodies. Problem is showing the greyed out options shatters the illusion of choice and, by proxy, replayability. If I wouldn't see the greyed out options i would feel tempted to reroll a different character after my current playthrough just to see how certain convs play out when playing a strong decker instead of a charismatic mage. Due to seeing different options and noticing how all of them lead to the same outcome I don't feel tempted much.

2) There's one optimal character build: Rifles, rifles, rifles. Long range? Carry a sniper rifle. Short range, grab an AR and then switch to a minigun. All the other weapon types are subpar compared to rifles. They tried to fix this by introducing weapon variety like tasers in the pistol group, or accuracy/different firing modes to some shotguns. Still, what's the point of tasing someone when you can unload full auto on him and kill him outright or in 2 rounds.

Buffs are nice but redundant when you've cyberware and stims. Mages damage output shines only for a brief moment in the mid-game and then falls behind again. Shamans suck a bit as there's only a handful useful conjuring spells and spirits are too unreliable unless you pick the creator totem (which is one of the few useful totems in the game, by the way). Deckers are plain bad and matrix segments don't really justify having them around if you ignore story fluff. Riggers scale weirdly but are still worse than other choices and if the drones are gone they're dead weight. Melee is lacklustre.

Seriously, I played through this game on hard and had a feeling all the time that having four runners with miniguns/sniper rifles/grenades would steamroll through everything there is in the game without issue. Also would feel like playing Syndicate.

3) The party system is very restrictive and, what adds insult to injury, the game capitalises on these restrictions to work around basic design flaws outlined in point 2 which never should've been there in the first place.

Ultimately I'd say the game's got lots of soul backed by great visuals, great music and a solid storyline but the PnP->cRPG translation is pretty bad which effects in a poor party system, basically non-existent loot system, poor character development and poor combat (although it did get considerably improved compared to Dead Man's Switch so kudos where they're due).

Don't get me wrong, it all works, and it gets the job done and ultimately the game is quite enjoyable - but when HBS start working on a sequel they should go back to the drawing board and rethink the way they want to do it from scratch. The whole team is there, what you need is a proper systems designer on board.

I recommend JE Sawyer. :troll:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I recommend JE Sawyer. :troll:

Well...

Monocause said:
1) The way skill checks work in conversation feels annoying. If I don't have enough strength to pick a certain option, don't even show me that option. It feels like the game is constantly taunting you to spread your karma points around but then punishes you if you do so as that makes your character significantly less viable in combat.

JE Sawyer said:
Also, we've already designed in the era of invisible stat checks. They lead to players believing that their statistics actually have no effect on conversations. They literally don't know what they're missing.

In Darklands' Expert mode, greyed out/unavailable options were completely removed. You'd enter an interaction screen and see one or two options, not realizing that there are a ton of other things you could do if you only knew this saint/had that potion/bumped that skill. It's great for people who've already played the game 10 times, but for other people, it removed the impression that those saints/potions/skills had utility outside of their normal systemic use.

Last edited:

Monocause

Arcane
JE Sawyer:

Also, we've already designed in the era of invisible stat checks. They lead to players believing that their statistics actually have no effect on conversations. They literally don't know what they're missing.

In Darklands' Expert mode, greyed out/unavailable options were completely removed. You'd enter an interaction screen and see one or two options, not realizing that there are a ton of other things you could do if you only knew this saint/had that potion/bumped that skill. It's great for people who've already played the game 10 times, but for other people, it removed the impression that those saints/potions/skills had utility outside of their normal systemic use.

Boo. Totes disagree. There are other ways of letting the player know different skill picks give different options; greyouts ruin the fun of discovery and murder replayability, especially when the additional options are pure story fluff.

FNV did it bit better than dragonfall (rubbish options as your 20 science character tries to be, uh, scientific) but it was still lame. Showing the success threshold felt gamey and still ruined the sense of discovery; the rubbish options were also almost always bad except in a very few cases (like picking them to get challenge points or in very particular conversations) which felt even more gamey and it's gaminess of the bad sort (read: there's nothing to justify it's there).

A good way to do it would be to put cues in the dialogue. For example: The raider gives you a dismissive stare. "I could mop the floor with ya but it wouldn't even be fun".

If you teach the player that these cues are there, he should reason "Yeah, that probably happened because my STR and END are pretty low and the dialogue would be different if i built my character differently"

Still, I'm sure JES would agree that even if the game goes the greyout route it should be designed around it so that it doesn't tempt you to be more flexible with your skill points only to slap you in the face later cause you're useless in combat. Skills like Biotech are huge offenders here: there's a fair few dialogue options for Biotech so it really feels tempting to invest more than 2 points - then, halfway through the game, you realise that it was a complete waste.

Curiously enough even Charisma doesn't really feel like it pays off fluff-wise. At the end of the game i felt my 7 points in charisma was the biggest karma waste and I should've only left 4 there to get 4 conjuring and the lightning barrier. Spend the saved 18 KP on something actually useful. Like more HP or better guns use. Charisma wasn't even checked in places where it really felt like it should have been like, say, at the very end of the Humanis mission.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I think conflicting PoVs is why this is an option in PoE. I wish it were also in Dragonfall, but alas..

Gord

Arcane
1) The way skill checks work in conversation feels annoying.

I think both ways have their advantages, although I would probably favour invisible thresholds while still giving the player the possibility to choose the option where it makes sense (and then failing it).

2) There's one optimal character build: Rifles, rifles, rifles. Long range? Carry a sniper rifle. Short range, grab an AR and then switch to a minigun. All the other weapon types are subpar compared to rifles. They tried to fix this by introducing weapon variety like tasers in the pistol group, or accuracy/different firing modes to some shotguns. Still, what's the point of tasing someone when you can unload full auto on him and kill him outright or in 2 rounds.
Weapon balance is not always perfect, true, but I still think that the game's overall balance is ok. Every major archetype is playable fine if you tune it right and while some have advantages over others, they are all viable. Of course the enjoyment might depend a bit on how aspie one gets about creating an "optimal" character.

Buffs are nice but redundant when you've cyberware and stims.
Yes, and that's how it should be - you can use multiple approaches/do multiple characters to achieve a similar outcome. Cyberware can only be installed on the player character and is largely unavailable to magic users, drugs cost money and are limited by inventory.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Buffs are nice but redundant when you've cyberware and stims. Mages damage output shines only for a brief moment in the mid-game and then falls behind again. Shamans suck a bit as there's only a handful useful conjuring spells and spirits are too unreliable unless you pick the creator totem (which is one of the few useful totems in the game, by the way). Deckers are plain bad and matrix segments don't really justify having them around if you ignore story fluff. Riggers scale weirdly but are still worse than other choices and if the drones are gone they're dead weight. Melee is lacklustre.

Seriously, I played through this game on hard and had a feeling all the time that having four runners with miniguns/sniper rifles/grenades would steamroll through everything there is in the game without issue. Also would feel like playing Syndicate.

Or maybe you just suck. All of my coolest characters have always been shamans :x

Also, playing through the DC now only serves to remind me how ridonk barebones was Wasteland 2's combat.

Gord

Arcane
Worth playing? Definitely*. Better than DMS? Yes. Is the DC better than the original Dragonfall? That, too, although the improvements are more evolutionary than revolutionary.

*Always depends on what you are looking for, of course. It's not the RPG to end all RPGs, but it's gud.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom