Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

circ

Arcane
I would love a new IP from them, but the words "procedurally-generated" is an instant "i don't care about it, will not buy" for me. I quess i will wait and see what exactly they are planing.
Why does procedural or not matter? It's not like they did an amazing job with hand written things. Atleast there would be things to do.

Wizfall

Cipher
I dunno about new IP. Half of SRR's charm is its setting and atmosphere, and I doubt they'll be able to make something equally interesting from scratch.
I hope it will be another Shadowrun game because i like the setting a lot and it may be a waste to not improve their current engine.
But Jordan Weisman have also reated the Mechwarrior and Crimson Sky setting among others.
He really is a gifted man for creating innovative/awesome setting so i would not worry too much about that.
Even his mobile games have a very charming setting.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Weird thing I just noticed: In the Harfeld Manor run, both Glory and Dietrich had overwatch, but later in the Drug Pit one, neither of them have this ability. Is this a bug?
I noticed this too, i thought it was to make the first mission a little easier but who knows.
Also on the Drug Pit mission Blitz might, or not, have the Flush Target attack. I dont know if it is a bug, random or according to your character's build.

Starwars

Arcane
Finished up the Director's Cut now. To me, this is one of the better RPGs I've played recently, and it'd rank pretty damn good on my all-time list also probably. The structure of it makes it different (the hub-based mission approach) than many RPGs but if one can accept that, then well... There's a lot to like it Dragonfall I think. Combat is not amazing but it is good fun, with a few encounters that are really fun. The story is excellent Shadowrun stuff and the writing is pretty damn great. Audio and visuals are terrific as well. The new music in particular is quite amazing.

Took me about 23 hours according to STEAM with some afk time and a few re-loads. Damn good value I'd say.

It'd be *such* a shame if this were the end for the engine and for Shadowrun Returns. It seems as if the DC didn't do great on STEAM so I fear we won't see much more from it. Too bad in that case.

Playing it also kinda gets me interested in trying to mod a bit.

Regarding the ending:

What new stuff is there for the DC? I know letting Apex take control of the project is a new (and pretty awesome) thing. I also read on another forum that you can actually talk Vauclair down which I'm not sure you could do before. Unfortunately, the Orc shoots him and takes over the project so you still have to do the final battle as is. Kinda too bad, would've been sweet to have a diplomatic victory, but it's still a nice option.

Last edited:

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'd hate to say it, but the guys over at Harebrained might have squandered whatever goodwill they built up by doing DMS instead first INSTEAD of doing Dragonfall DC type game.
People that were interested, no longer.

Well I finally got the game patched and I'm finishing it right now. I'd say it's a pretty good effort, definitely makes me want for more. Going to take a look at what's new on the modding scene.

Also, is it just me or is the confusion spell useless now? It used to be one of my favourite high-end spells, but now I can't get it working at all.

dryan

Arcane
Weird thing I just noticed: In the Harfeld Manor run, both Glory and Dietrich had overwatch, but later in the Drug Pit one, neither of them have this ability. Is this a bug?
I noticed this too, i thought it was to make the first mission a little easier but who knows.
Also on the Drug Pit mission Blitz might, or not, have the Flush Target attack. I dont know if it is a bug, random or according to your character's build.

Yes, I noticed that too! That's kinda weird, for the teammate's skills to vary according to yours. I think it's most likely a bug.

Also, does anyone know what to do with the CEO's sex tape that you hack out of an apartment's computer in Trial Run? I couldn't post it for sale on Shadowlands BBS.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If they're smart they'll use the good will from Dragonfall and the lessons learned and translate that into a new IP they actually control.

No way these guys has "goodwill" enough to make their own IP. Personal bet is that 50%+ of pledges comes from the fact that this has Shadowrun stamped on it.

Ironmonk

Augur
They could alternate between a Earthdawn and Shadowrun campaign, if they get the license for Earthdawn as well.

It puzzles me as we never got a Earthdawn game before (or did I miss it?)

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Sorry to butt-in but did they fix the terrible tablet-focused character creation inteface? I know they fixed combat interface but didn't hear anything about the character creation.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Earthdawn is pretty generic fantasy, it lacks what makes shadowrun special, a cyberpunk with fantasy elements. Without the cyberpunk it looses much of its appeal to me.
The fact that you explore the setting as a shadowrunner, just a hired gun without any moral constraints, working for a living is a nice break from the typical knight's quest to defeat evil.
Sorry to butt-in but did they fix the terrible tablet-focused character creation inteface? I know they fixed combat interface but didn't hear anything about the character creation.
No, that remains the same. The colour might be different, though. :P

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If they're smart they'll use the good will from Dragonfall and the lessons learned and translate that into a new IP they actually control.

No way these guys has "goodwill" enough to make their own IP. Personal bet is that 50%+ of pledges comes from the fact that this has Shadowrun stamped on it.

Well, I'm impressed not only by Dragonfall but also how well they have supported it, and how improved it was over the previous game. That means goodwill in my book.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Well, I'm impressed not only by Dragonfall but also how well they have supported it, and how improved it was over the previous game. That means goodwill in my book.
Goodwill, yeah. Goodwill enough? Maybe not.

Zetor

Arcane
Regarding the ending:

What new stuff is there for the DC? I know letting Apex take control of the project is a new (and pretty awesome) thing. I also read on another forum that you can actually talk Vauclair down which I'm not sure you could do before. Unfortunately, the Orc shoots him and takes over the project so you still have to do the final battle as is. Kinda too bad, would've been sweet to have a diplomatic victory, but it's still a nice option.
There are two new endings:
The APEX-dragon merge option was actually there in the original Dragonfall, iirc. The first new ending is like you said: talking Vauclair down and Audran becomes the final boss... though it's just a small moral victory, nothing else.

The second new ending is when you side with Vauclair. You have to kill off your teammates, then you get a "One Year Later" interactive epilogue. I won't spoil it...

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Would you kickstart another project of theirs, knowing it will be roughly the same quality as Dragonfall?

[hypothetical, obviously we would all hope the quality continues to improve with iteration]

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sorry I misread your post, thought it said I'm not impressed, but how well they supported it.

Nevermind then.

'kay

I mean it's not some amazing incline, but it's good. Great writing, proper atmosphere, decent combat. Still too linear, but much better than the previous game. Support has been great, especially since Dragonfall reportedly sold much worse. I'd support them again for the same price.

Morkar Left

Hairbrained Schemes has actually the best writing out there and for me they succeeded to became a force to be reckoned with on the rpg market. I would prefer another shadowrun rpg but I guess I would go along with a new/original ip either.

Theoretically they could make an rpg with their new tabletop ip. It's called Golem? I imagine it as something like battletech with fantasy. The setting could be either bland or highly interesting.

Lujo

Augur
I've just managed to spontaneously LARP Shadowrun IRL O.O. I sat down in a bar to write web site content for some dude half a world away, and a random guy in the bar saw me hacking JRE 8 to work on XP, and we got into a conversation which involved me giving him access to some classified goverment info I scored on a translation job, and in exchange the dude walked out of the bar to his car and came back with 4 GB of ancient ram (well, a whole BAG of ram) and stuck them in my notebook. We exchanged contact info XD

I want more Shadowrun games, they're becoming f****g realsim XD

Lujo

Augur
In b4 black helicopters

Wasn't US goverment, if the guy actually does anything with the, err, paydata, noone'll probably do anything. It's classified just to be hard to reach, not because it's really dangerous, and it couldn't pass copyscape because it's mostly been copied from some German crap, which has in turn been copied straigh, and I kid you not, from Göbels. Like, literally. When you're that sloppy with documents, they're worth about a few gigs of RAM, lol.

If someone did come after me for this, that'd be stranger than the whole sequence of selling that stuff, and that was way to surreal to believe.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Putting WL2 on hold for a bit (till they patch the enemy movement bug), and got this. I tried the first campaign after the KS but didt really like it.

This one however is great sofar. Hopefully it does well and they can make more campaigns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom