Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I dunno, but my player character Shaman—who incidentally is required to run out into the open and emulate the proverbial sitting duck in order to get close enough to activate spirit hotspots, I'm noticing, which isn't trivial on Hard—has three etiquettes, none of which have been used so far in any conversation. I've been able to select things due to race, willpower, charisma, and even having a magic background, though, so that's nice. A few things I'd like to have known have been hidden behind decker checks.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Shadowrunner, Street, and Academic. Actually, I take that back, I was able to use Academic recently during a conversation with the group's fixer.

It didn't really accomplish anything gameplay-wise of course, but I suppose I can give that a pass. Opening up different alternate dialog nuggets extends replayability somewhat if nothing else.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
shadowrunner is one of the previously unused ones, iirc. which is really a shame considering the whole situation after the initial mission is so goddamn perfect for it. missed opportunity hbs.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Shadowrun game, Shadowrunner etiquette goes unused.

Brilliant. :smug:

In any event, this game is nowhere near being better than Baldur's Gate II, tragic RTwP bastardization notwithstanding. You two need to get your heads out of your asses.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
we're just mocking volourn for being the precious little flower that he is.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Don't whine because the truth hurts. BIO > U

And, I like SRR for what it is. A fun little game. That's it. that's all.

People who whine about BIO's 'fake' chocies shouldn't be bragging about SR. Espicially since BIO has lots of REAL choices that effect the game, the character, and the story. SRR certainly din't have that and SRR:DF doesn't have it so far either.

R00lfes!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
By the way, does the Fog spell:

• reduce chance to hit characters/items that are inside the cloud from outside
  • reduce chance to hit characters/items outside the cloud, when inside the cloud
  • both

I'm leaning towards both.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I wanted to ask you guys what class is the most fun to play in this game? I don't really like to play magical types as the main char and a straightforward street samurai seems a bit boring, so I thought about a tech savvy character (decker or rigger) who is also good with ranged weapons. Does that make sense?
Can deckers do any useful stuff in this game or are they worthless? How much fun is it to play a rigger with their drones?

Zetor

Arcane
Riggers were really powerful in the original DF, and they're even better here. By the end of the game, the rigger will control three combat drones with 3 AP each, decent armor/hp, and hard-hitting attacks; basically it's like having an extra runner on the team. One of the drones will also have a ton of grenades + medkits. In addition, you can build your rigger as a decker to take care of that niche (though just taking Blitz along may be a better option due to his SMG cover flush attacks + various matrix trickery that a PC can't do).

Also, drones are really good at forcing enemies out of cover -- and unlike party members, you shouldn't feel too bad about putting them out in the open every once in a while if that's what it takes to flank someone.

Alfons

Prophet
Is there a reason to play this?
The biggest thing I noticed is that it seems that accuracy is lowered and cover reduces damage making fights even more tedious.

Zetor

Arcane
If you're shooting enemies in cover for anything other than finishing them off at low hp, you're Doing It Wrong. Flank them with a spirit/drone, or force them out of cover by using any of the relevant abilities (SMG cover flush, incapacitating spells, or just sending a melee character at them), and watch all the 1.5x/2x damage text fly.

Gord

Arcane
Shadowrun game, Shadowrunner etiquette goes unused.

Brilliant. :smug:

i think they "fixed" it in one of the last patches pre-DC. IIRC now all etiquettes should have some uses, although some are probably still better than others.
Initially the best was probably corp, security and gang, but "pure" high CHA did get some options, too.
With the DC of course they might have added/changed some conversations...

I thought about a tech savvy character (decker or rigger) who is also good with ranged weapons. Does that make sense?
Can deckers do any useful stuff in this game or are they worthless? How much fun is it to play a rigger with their drones?

Definitely give them some ranged weapons. Your rigger will likely still have one or two AP each round to spend after activating the drones, so you will want something to do with him. And while the decker is of no use in combat while plugged into the matrix, you won't be in Cyberspace all the time, so he will need some combat skills, too.

Last edited:

Lujo

Augur
Ok, guys I'm stuck on the Trial Run mission, anyone playing this thing and managed to get past it?

I got to the 2nd floor by zapping the guard, I got the room code by giving the nervous orc drugs, I decked my way into other two rooms, but if I instal the canister the mage makes a mess and I'm stuck in combat - and there I can take out the guys in the hallway, but I haven't managed to get the mage and the two guys guarding the penthouse (I'm playing very hard).

I've bought to enchephalon thingy, and I got the incriminating video footage. I haven't bought the fancy suit.

Anyone managed this thing?

eremita

Savant
While I somewhat agree, it is still 1000% better than ANYTHING BioWare/Bethesda/CD Project have done.

It is like HBS discovered cRPG mechanics, and continue to work and include them. They are no where near as good as say what Obsidian does crpg mechanics wise, but at least they are trying. And if they continue this trend, hell yes. From a tablet company that makes (basically) casual action games, these are some good steps forward. Just please HBS, keep going forward AND GIVE US A NEW CAMPAIGN LIKE THIS.
What the fuck? Since when is Obsidian considered good in case of "crpg mechanics"? I love the studio, but good gameplay designers they are not...

Rake

Arcane
While I somewhat agree, it is still 1000% better than ANYTHING BioWare/Bethesda/CD Project have done.

It is like HBS discovered cRPG mechanics, and continue to work and include them. They are no where near as good as say what Obsidian does crpg mechanics wise, but at least they are trying. And if they continue this trend, hell yes. From a tablet company that makes (basically) casual action games, these are some good steps forward. Just please HBS, keep going forward AND GIVE US A NEW CAMPAIGN LIKE THIS.
What the fuck? Since when is Obsidian considered good in case of "crpg mechanics"? I love the studio, but good gameplay designers they are not...
crpg mechanics =! core gameplay

Gord

Arcane
So I started the DC with a Adept/melee build to have a look at the improvements they made.

I went for Hard difficulty and - just judging from the very first mission (Harfeld manor) - it seems definitely more difficult now - I had to use most of my medkits and one trauma kit.
Close combat builds might have been shafted a bit by the new cover system, since by their nature they will be out of cover quite often.
Will see how it turns out - I've spend some Karma on throwing so I can use throwing weapons as a backup, allegedly they can now also flush enemies out of cover.

On the technical side, I get some slowdowns/stuttering now on some maps which wasn't present before.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have not played DF before, only the base game, but I am also under the impression that it is much more difficult. Either that, or I suck at this game.

In the very first run I had to restart completely because I had used up so many medkits that I could not survive the 7 rounds in the basement. Second run was also harder than I thought. I am barely able to hit anything, percentages usually are about 20% while my own team members constantly get hit with criticals. I also don't really understand the flanking mechanic, it sometimes seems strange what counts as flanking and what doesn't.

I like a good challenge but parituclarly the low to-hit chance is bothering me because it undermines any attempts at tactics, since it does not really matter how I position my team, cause I will likely not hit anything anyway. It leads to situations where a random ganger with a baseball bat runs straight at me and my whole fucking team can't take him out in a round because they are all unable to hit the guy.

Sort of bad for my immersion too. What kind of Shadowrunners are these guys anyway? Sometimes you just wanna wreck shit, now they are all standing there firing like crazy on some random douchbag and don't even hit him? A battle hardened ex-KSK can't hit some punk with a fucking shotgun at point blank? Say what?

I was simply not prepared for this after the ridiculous difficulty of the base game. But changing the difficulty to something lower makes me feel like a whining little bitch, so I guess I will power through, even though it can be a bit frustrating sometimes. At least it makes things more intense (like that fight in the basement, man, was I glad I got out alive..).

dryan

Arcane
I like a good challenge but parituclarly the low to-hit chance is bothering me because it undermines any attempts at tactics, since it does not really matter how I position my team, cause I will likely not hit anything anyway. It leads to situations where a random ganger with a baseball bat runs straight at me and my whole fucking team can't take him out in a round because they are all unable to hit the guy.

Sort of bad for my immersion too. What kind of Shadowrunners are these guys anyway? Sometimes you just wanna wreck shit, now they are all standing there firing like crazy on some random douchbag and don't even hit him? A battle hardened ex-KSK can't hit some punk with a fucking shotgun at point blank? Say what?

You're missing the point of the abstraction. Why doesn't it ruin your immersion that your team is in a life-or-death confrontation against another team, and everyone is obeying orderly turns like a chess match? The point is that you're not shooting at point blank ever. That is just an artificial representation in order to enable you to approach a gunfight from a tactical perspective instead of a twitch muscles perspective. What appears as a low hit chance actually accounts for several unpredictable factors in the "real event", like dodging, recoil, nerves, luck, etc.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
What appears as a low hit chance actually accounts for several unpredictable factors in the "real event", like dodging, recoil, nerves, luck, etc.

I can accept that, but if I have a team of professional Shadowrunners who couldn't even hit a barn door from less than 5 feet away, I just gotta question their competence.

eremita

Savant

crpg mechanics =! core gameplay
In an interactive medium, which CRPG no doubt is, the IMPLEMENTATION of mechanics is what counts in the end. And that is, especially in CRPGs, part of core gameplay. If Jaesun simply means C&C (in the most vulgar form), then I agree, Obsidian's games are reactive.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

ds3 had good core gameplay, alpha prot had excellent crpg mechanics tied to c&c, motb had good spirit meter and nice c&c, soz had excellent class/religion/feat/friggin everything checks. obsidian may always fuck something up, but they also usually have something remarkable on the mechanical side, even if it's just c&c.

eremita

Savant

ds3 had average core gameplay, alpha prot had excellent c&c, motb had nonfunctional spirit meter and nice c&c, soz had excellent class/religion/feat/friggin everything checks.
Fixed it. But with SoZ, I agree. I also edited my previous post before regarding C&C.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom