Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Chronicles (formerly Shadowrun Online)

Branm

Learned
Thats an excellent article...Id be pretty pissed if I supported this kickstarter.

The fact that almost no essential game play systems are in place is more then worrying. Calling it an Alpha without those in place is an insult...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
So it's another shit mmo, wow such surprise

the mage character indicates his magicalness by wearing a pink hat and carrying a giant skull around, which is so far away from the basic concept of being a shadow runner – you know, disguising true power from the enemy and surprising them

No, mr article author, I don't think what you think is the basic concept of being a shadowrunner is actually the basic concept of being a shadowrunner.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I had a feeling this was doomed, when I realised that this is the same developer responsible for Jagged Alliance: Online. They clearly have no idea how to make a game with any soul, it's almost like once the team is instructed to create something other than in-app purchases they became stumped - "Gameplay mechanics, what does that mean?"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Saved by a publisher? http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-27-shadowrun-online-now-being-published-by-nordic-games

Shadowrun Online now being published by Nordic Games
Extra funding kicks in before its imminent Q2 release.

Shadowrun Online is getting some extra funding via new publisher Nordic Games.

Cliffhanger Productions' Kickstarter-funded online tactical RPG is still in Early Access, where only the game's prequel is playable, but it's rapidly heading toward its imminent release window of Q2 2015 on PC, Mac and Linux.

Once a publisher of niche European adventure games, Nordic has recently thrust itself in the limelight by snagging such properties as Darksiders, Red Faction, de Blob and MX vs. ATV from THQ following the publisher's bankruptcy. As it turns out, Nordic's business & product development director Reinhard Pollice is a big Shadowrun enthusiast and happens to live down the road from the Shadowun Online studio.

"We are excited to cooperate with Cliffhanger Productions on multiple levels: some of us spent copious amounts of hours in the Shadowrun universe (armed with pen and paper), plus visiting Cliffhanger's studio takes 15 minutes with public transportation to check out the latest internal build, so we can collaborate closely," Pollice said of the partnership.

"It just clicked between Nordic and us - we know and trust them to give Shadowrun the attention it deserves," added Cliffhanger Productions co-founder Jan Wagner.

Set in Boston in 2076, Shadowrun Online follows a nihilistic future society ravaged by a recently awakened dragon along with the elves, dwarves, orks and trolls it's brought with it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
As a TURN-BASED MMO (has there actually ever been one before?), I keep hoping and praying this might turn out OK. It basically seems like Shadowrun Returns but online. But I'm not holding my breath.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
As a TURN-BASED MMO (has there actually ever been one before?), I keep hoping and praying this might turn out OK. It basically seems like Shadowrun Returns but online. But I'm not holding my breath.

I'm with you there, bro! SRO does have potential but last I tried it, it was still really early in development, so it's too soon to draw any conclusions one way or the other.

There have been turn-based MMOs but most of them either suck or are P2W - for instance, I used to play Atlantica Online a lot until the developers got too greedy and it became too expensive to remain competitive (the focus of the game was PVP tournaments and that doesn't mix well with P2W). :(

Ironmonk

Augur

Dofus have been around for about 10 years... used to play with multi-account (8 characters - the maximum) for about 4 years, it was nice but in the end they kept changing and changing things to the point that I lost all my interest, still a very deep turn-based game with plenty stuff to do.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shadowrun Online is now SHADOWRUN CHRONICLES: BOSTON LOCKDOWN.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964352341/shadowrun-online/posts/1153034

Naming Game, Part II
Some of you might recall that in January we asked about the name Shadowrun Online or a possible different name. Back then we proposed Shadowrun 2076, but after reading through all your feedback and suggestions (thank you again for your great ideas!) and some more internal discussions, we headed your call and came up with a new one a good number of people seemed to like. So from this day forward, Shadowrun Online will be known as – drumroll, please! – Shadowrun Chronicles!

We think the new title does away with a couple of associations people had with “Online” that didn’t apply to our game and which led to some disappointed buyers and backers. “Chronicles” expresses our goal to continue to tell stories and release new content evolving from the collective actions of our players over time. As many of you have already surmised, the first chapter will be called Boston Lockdown, making the full title of our launch version Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown.

Launch in 3 … 2 … 1
A lot of people have asked us “When is this game going to come out”? We know we did take longer than we initially expected (and then some), but we’ve pushed through and are now approaching the finishing line fast. “How fast”, you ask? Very fast: We’re proud to announce that Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown will be available in retail stores as well as on Steam and other digital platforms on April 28th 2015.

Looks like they're trying to wipe the slate clean and relaunch the brand.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...agnercofounder_of_Cliffhanger_Productions.php

Shadowrun Online renamed to Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown, Launch Date announced; statement from Jan Wagner, co-founder of Cliffhanger Productions
Co-op, tactical turn-based team combat in the Shadowrun universe coming to PC/MAC(Steam)/Linux(Steam) on April 28 2015

Vienna/AUSTRIA, 3rd of March 2015

After recently announcing their partnership, Nordic Games and Cliffhanger Productions have now fixed anApril 28th 2015 launch date for their tactical turn-based RPG Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown.

The new name has been in the making for some time and was decided on together with the Shadowrun community and Kickstarter Backers.

----

Jan Wagner, Managing Director of Cliffhanger, explains: “Shadowrun Online has always been a title that invited a wide range of expectations – some gamers thought it meant we are doing a full-blown MMORPG with a persistent open world, others believed it meant we are doing a free to play browser title. The core vision of the game has always focused on experiencing the world of Shadowrun together with your friends and meeting other players, swapping stories and exchanging strategies as well as a creating a space for actual role-playing with others. This to us is the core experience of Pen and paper roleplaying – a shared imagination and story experience. But a lot of people thought that the title meant they had to play it in multiplayer and didn’t even check it out. The new title also expresses our goal to continue to tell stories and release new content evolving from the collective actions of our players. They will shape the way the future plot of Shadowrun develops, literally making history in the Shadowrun Universe.”

The game offers a campaign, which can be plaid solo or with up to 4 players in co-op as well as a live multiplayer hub and opportunities for PvP matches. Players can also take their offline friend’s characters with them on missions.

Gennaro Giani, Producer & Localization Manager, Nordic Games adds: “Especially for the boxed version, gamers need to be sure they can play the game alone at their convenience and not be forced into some online pattern or depend on any server activity for that matter. The new title also implies that Shadowrun Chronicles is here to stay.”

----

The April 28th launch date for Shadowrun Chronicles will see the game being released in English, French and German, as well as in retail stores and on various digital platforms.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Currently, after last update, the core gameplay is pretty good. But it is not a MMO in any sense and is not an RPG (at least not in a storyfag sense). It's closer to the new X-com - a shadowrunn-ey squad tactics game with plot. I'm judging by EA, maybe in the future there will be a dialogue that actually does anything other than advance story.

The game:
There is a hub with gear/questgivers/fluff.
There are missions where you can take up to 3 runner NPCs (now 1 another player in team is possible, in final version they want a 4 player coop possibility). These are turn based combat scenarios, lasting ~20 minutes. No stealth, some hacking/lockpicking/braking shit for alternate approaches (some possibly non-lethal)/more loot (more loot in future, not included in EA atm).

Combat is solid, imho more demanding than SRR - mostly due to smaller healthpools vs damage dealt - no damage sponges here. You have 2 weapon slots +2 gear slots, chosen weapons determine which skills you can use (to use pistol skills you need pistol etc.). Dual-wielding stuff allows you to use skills on separate cooldowns for each hand.

Skill trees are a mess now but they've suggested they will be remade. Also the fact that you can re-run missions in EA messes up things a bit - characters become OP due to investing in all trees.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
starship-troopers-wyltkm.jpg

Yes.... Yes, I would. :bounce:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Sword Coast Legends, Shadowrun Chronicles...

Episodic co-op-centric lite RPGs - the new fad?

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
It's closer to the new X-com - a shadowrunn-ey squad tactics game with plot.

:O :O :O :O :O :O

<mass wanking ensues>

I would pay good money for Blackguards: Shadowrun.

Blackguards:Shadowrun.. this thing is not. It is not that good (or at least that sophisticated mechanically - there are basically some racial/background bonusues + what you got from gear and skill trees. That's it.)

Here's a video after last patch, dude glances current skill trees in about 10:00 and from 19:15 there is team selection and first mission and 20:50 misison starts. So see for yourself:

This one is even better, cause its shorter, doesnt include talking letsplayer but has sound and action for 90% of the time:

Last edited:

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
It is quite decent and definately fun if you have someone to coop with, but EA does not have that much content. And after they announced launch at April 28th - there might not be a lot of content in the final game, definitely not justifying the price.

Still - last update turned the game upside down compared to what was, so there is promise.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's a shame that neither this nor HBS'es version seems to emphasize the stealth, legwork and planning that are a huge part of SR p&p. Whoever's going to start playing SR p&p because of these games will be the equivalent of d&ders who started with 4E :M

Gord

Arcane
Showed up in the "New on Steam" tab for me today.
Here's the description, however:

ATTENTION! UNINTENTIONAL RELEASE. Will be released on APRIL 28!
Enter the world of Shadowrun - the Pen and Paper cyberpunk RPG classic and lead your team of runners into deadly mission or face them together with your friends in tactical co-op.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Since this is no longer an MMO, should the thread be moved to RPG, or is it better to just make a new one there?

Neither. Let's get some gameplay impressions first. If it's still a fundamentally multiplayer-centric game then it stays here

Shannow

Waster of Time
They called it "strategic" in the trailer. Let Whiskey and Trash have fun with it and analyse the gameplay impressions. :troll:

For the record: I find the thread title-change premature. I'd be ok with leaving out any reference to "sucking". I'm not really ok with "possible doesn't suck" in combination with my "authorship".

Klarion

Arcane
Does this game even have persistent world as all other MMOs?

EDIT: this ain't an MMO, move it the fuck outta here... Stat!

Xqkq8HR.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom