Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow Warrior 2

tormund

Arcane
tl;dr many fun things in a singleplayer game have been nerfed for some reason, NG+ has become more pointless, and game has become somewhat harder
I guess they're trying to "encourage" more players to play it in co-op, or to or least view it as a primarily co-op game.
To be fair, that was the focus of their marketing and yet if you see reviews like the TB or Gggman ones, they primarily judge it as a singleplayer game.

Last edited:

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
I beat the game last night, SP on insane and found it pretty easy compared to the first SW reboot. Here are some thought.

--The excessive loot system really bogs down this game. Too much loot is dropped and you have to spend the time to sort and compare it. The interface is FUCKING HORRID for doing this. WORST PART OF THE GAME.

--With a few exceptions, HP bloat is not that bad, even on insane which gives 90% bonus to enemy HP + add resistances. This is only the case though if you spend the time to max your loot shit (see above). Half way through I was 1-2 shotting most enemies with charged melee attacks. Bosses are HP bloats though. the 'legs' boss took 20 minutes to kill. SW1 reboot had same problem on insane.

--Only weapons that do bulk damage are worth it. DPS weapons like uzi and assault rifles are WORTHLESS. Takes a full clip to do as much damage as a single shotgun blast. This might be related to enemy resist on higher difficulties. Need to investigate this further.

--Nothing can hit/reach you if you dodge/dash around. Not kidding. I think the developers knew this which is why they put in auras in the game. Now, with the new patch it looks like they are increasing this cheap as feature. 90% damage I took in this game was from auras. They can hurt bad.

--Other 10% damage was taken because I got stuck on scenery. Shit loads of random clutter on the maps. Bamboo forest levels are the worst.

--Lost of environmental destruction. I loved this. Highlight for me was a mass sword fight on the second story of a dojo. The building got so fucked up the floor caved in and everyone fell to ground floor.

--Levels are open and non linear. Not really interesting, but loot hounds will like the treasure hunting aspect of every level.

--Feedback from damage you take is horrid- It knocks your viewpoint around like your drunk. This is a huge problem with DPS auras and any enemy with automatics. Shooting weapons is impossible during these times.

--Guns sort of suck on whole (compared to melee). Maybe because of the difficulty I was playing on or maybe this was intentional.

--Shadow Warrior 2 is better than borderlands

Overall I agree with GGmans video. The game is pretty average. Its a damn shame they went the borderlands route. The actually gameplay is very good, but it gets crippled by other design choices. Id say the game is worth 20$ tops.

Israfael

Arcane
Played a bit, extremely dissapointed, to say the least:
- Plot declined heavily, in the first one you played as a ninja /b/ patron with an equally snarky companion commenting on your actions, now it's just plainly stupid. Edgyness -100%, Idiocy +200%. Maybe there'll be some Hoji like twist in the end, but i don't see it happening.
- Severe problems with FOV / weapon size, game was clearly made with console in mind and PC was left as an afterthought. If you crank up fov too much 'foveated rendering' or some crap like that is enabled and the edges of the screen become blurred. Also, vertical FOV is cancer, why developers even use it?
- They changed keys for some reason and it's now right click + movement buttons for sword combos which was confusing in the first 2-3 hrs. still don't get why couldn't they tack both quick strikes + ki strikes in one left button and leave RMB for something else (like spells)
- I really don't get why there's so much loot in the game, especially if it brings no variety (apart from D2-esque 'which weapon i use to kill this 'immune to poison' mob)
- Balance was switched towards ranged weapons, maybe it's good, but i played SW 2013 for its swordplay, not shitty guns , also spongy enemies don't add up good into this mix.
- i hope they'll remove this f2p / open world/ grinder shit in the next game, otherwise it's be too bad even for 10$ i payed.

You're delusional if you think they're moving away from open world /terrible loot shit, that's what sells these days. People don't want tight gameplay and good levels, they want to sperg over +1% in endless loot menus.

Boleskine

Arcane
Free DLC released

The Shadow Warrior 2: Bounty Hunt Part 1 DLC piles on the action with fourteen wild new missions, two dazzling new weapons, and four tantalizing new perks for Lo Wang and the gang. Battle alone or with up to four ninjas in crime in some of the most over the top missions yet like Plague of the Bunny Lords, 50 Shades of Shade, and Danger Zone on Mt. Akuma. Strike at the demon hordes with new perks like Revenge and Shared Pain or arm up with the new Medusa Ray and EX-GF01 minigun.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
so i finished the first game last night. from what i read the sequel is kinda a disappointment? i like the first one. it's decent poor man's serious sam. it have smaller level and less enemy variety but i still quite enjoy the game altho the late game is a bit of a grind because they throw so much bullet sponge enemies at you.

i think i got the second one free at gog so if it's bad no loss really.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's pretty clear what people hated about the second one... co-op focus and loot system... so if that sounds good to you, go for it.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
I bought SW2 after liking the first one. I've been playing it recently and think I have the key to enjoying it.
For the most part you're going to ignore the loot; that shit is there for the kids on Ritalin and the cripplingly autistic. It's far worse than Borderlands and just not worth the time. Your inventory is unlimited (I think) so keep everything you find just in case.

• Normal difficulty
  • Life drain gems in your favorite melee weapon
  • When confronted by big tough things with resistances/immunities/weaknesses, load up your preferred firearms with the element they're weak against.

This should allow you to play it like the first one without mind-numbing tedium while keeping shitloot management to a minimum. Also I'm not done yet so I might hit a wall where this doesn't work anymore, or it might get painfully easy

inb4 autistic reeeeeing because I called the 2013 game the first one. The 2017 Prey is also the first one, fight me.

I bought SW2 after liking the first one. I've been playing it recently and think I have the key to enjoying it.
For the most part you're going to ignore the loot; that shit is there for the kids on Ritalin and the cripplingly autistic. It's far worse than Borderlands and just not worth the time. Your inventory is unlimited (I think) so keep everything you find just in case.

• Normal difficulty
  • Life drain gems in your favorite melee weapon
  • When confronted by big tough things with resistances/immunities/weaknesses, load up your preferred firearms with the element they're weak against.

This should allow you to play it like the first one without mind-numbing tedium while keeping shitloot management to a minimum. Also I'm not done yet so I might hit a wall where this doesn't work anymore, or it might get painfully easy

inb4 autistic reeeeeing because I called the 2013 game the first one. The 2017 Prey is also the first one, fight me.
IIRC the stat inflation will get to a point where you hit a wall and have to start thinking about loot.

Real shame FWH didn't try to make a good set of traditional FPS levels instead. The game has a solid arsenal, solid art assets and fun combat absent the looter shooter elements. Wasted potential.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom