Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow Warrior 2

Sodafish

Arcane
Tried this out. Played for about half an hour. Into the trash it goes.

ortucis

Prophet
Wasn't Shadow Warrior all about small wang jokes while killing aliens?

Or is that to insensitive now? I didn't play the remake cause I don't want my glorious childhood ruined, but now they have a sequel to remake.

EDIT: Just saw that review. Game is definitely not for me.

Last edited:

tormund

Arcane

So they picked up Borderlands (2) brand of humor too, including the needless abundance of it.

At least they dropped all pretenses of it being a "old school" shooter so I at least won't have to listen to that crap anymore. It is funny though, how in their attempt to pick up as many widely popular conventions as they could, they failed to fix any of issues that plagued their games from the start. They still rely on numbers and/or HP bloat of enemies for difficulty, for example.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=780987656
BL team would be proud.

ortucis

Prophet
Wasn't Shadow Warrior all about small wang jokes while killing aliens?

No. The game wasn't "about" that.

And even if it was, the jokes in the new one are just unfunny try hard shit.

I only played Shadow Warrior when I was a kid, that too, it was a shareware so all I remember are jokes and trying to look at anime girl who would shoot me when I turned my back on her. It was great.

I only heard few lines of jokes in the review posted above, yeah they aren't funny. I'll have to see a Let's Play to see what the other jokes are like. Still not buying it though. Don't really care much about mindless action anymore.

Felix

Arcane
Game is pretty fun, good thing I can turn off a lot of decline features like minimap.

It's pretty good, the swordplay and gunplay are fun, the maps are just too narrow, could be really interesting if there was a lot more room to fight and explore. Granted, I'm only about an hour in. The cheesy dialogue and plot are about on par with Just Cause 2, it seems intentional so it isn't as annoying.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Game is pretty fun, good thing I can turn off a lot of decline features like minimap.
but can you play without them?
It's easy to turn them off but are these features vital or game is too linear to not worry about getting lost?

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
game pretty much improves the basic mechanics of the original but adds the worst parts of diablo 3 and borderlands 2 to the mix
writing is pretty much the same, but the story doesn't seem nearly as good and the new bitch in your head isn't as great as Hoji was
I have a feeling I should be playing this on a lower difficulty, enemies feel rather spongy in the highest and most Chi will end up being spent on healing rather than your powers
guns are still underwhelming, but there's more of them this time around
drops come in the form of statistical upgrades rather than unique weapons (weapons do drop, albeit very very rarely)
can't say there's much build variety
I could run SW1 on medium settings with a rather unstable framerate, but for SW2 I had to turn everything down if I want to get any kind of stable framerate
many environments and enemies are just reskins

will expand on this once I finish the game

baturinsky

Arcane
Last upgrade in Chi regeneration skill gives you so fast regeneration, that Chi is basically free. But I barely using other powers anyway.

Guns are getting more interesting towards the midgame, but not by much. Saws and sawswords are fun though.

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
Remember to buy the sequel guys, assuming you reached the ending.

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
He is right about most things. But games gets better as you get enough gems/skills to smooth out the annoying parts. Such as, you can at last pimp out your guns to kill things fast (even in higher difficulties), you can move faster, etc.

soulburner

Cipher
Cannot play this game because of its audio. Whenever Wang speaks all other sounds become 75% quieter. Some sort of dynamics compression which I find very annoying and fatuguing. I have enough of loudness wars in music to be able to handle this.
Also, the graphics are blurry and bloomy in a kind of way that stresses my eyes. Turning off depth of field, motion blur and chromatic aberration helps, but the audio ruins the experience too much. Oh, and look at the weapon models. Why are they so huge? It looks like Wang is holding the revolver right next to his eyeball.

1/10.

Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane
Currently it's 10 jewgold in russia, is it worth shelling that out for this? Trailers really put me off

On the one hand they've kind of improved the shooting/sword mechanics compared to the 2013 SW, but on the other hand as has been said before, they've added the most retarded elements of loot-driven games.

Also, if you thought the first looked like a bloomfest, this one looks like a nuclear explosion of shit, which is a shame since they've improved the models and animations and so on.

The first FWH SW was boring and repetitive but at least the levels had some semblance of design (not really). You also didn't have to waste time rummaging through menus trying to filter shit. So I guess it was the better game, because you actually played more.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So I finished this, it took me some 15 hours while doing all side quests and just taking my time exploring and hunting secrets while playing on hardest difficulty.

Combat is pretty good especially later when you have a big selection of weapons, powers and gems that allows you to mix things up a bit. Game is rather easy so playing on Insane is mandatory, getting in fights with large number of elite enemies can be quite tense and fun since a single mistake can mean your quick death.

Writing is shit and you are better off skipping it all and decreasing the volume not to hear Wangs "jokes".

Visually the game is decent with exception of character models which are rather crude. The combat effects can be overwhelming and at moments you feel like you are playing while high on acid.

Map design is quite bad, it looks like they made number small map pieces, glued them together in different order and presented each piece as a different map. Which wouldnt have been much of a problem if there was bigger diversity in environment, but as it is it just feels like a "Deja vu" the game. Not to mention that the maps are rather small and offer little in terms of exploration.

Loot system is a mix bag, loot is focused on gems that offer you to upgrade your weapons to act differently and open new tactics to approach combat. Weapons alone drop rarely and mostly youll get them from quest rewards and from stores. You will get showered by gems while playing and vast majority of them will be completely useless. Browsing your inventory to check every ones statistics can be a chore.

So in the end its a game with really good combat, especially later in game and on higher difficulty, but everything else is mediocre at best. It feels like a half of a game, like they made a good mechanics for a FPS with RPG elements but everything else was done in a hurry at the last moment.

EZ7RJwQ.jpg

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/324800/discussions/0/333656722971757395/

Patch 1.1.3.0 Is Live!
Hey grasshoppers!

New patch is here! Now we will start working on a new patch in order to fix any remaining issues.

How to check current version?
Press ctrl ~ to open the console
Enter: _version and press enter

Patch 1.1.3.0
Balance and gameplay changes:
- "Serene Mind" skill nerfed
- "Auto-Reload" skill nerfed
- "Like the Wind skill" nerfed, 5th stage added
- "Second Chance" skill 4th stage added
- "Arm of Orochi" weapon significantly nerfed
- More auras on single enemy for Hard and Insane difficulties
- More enemies attacking at the same time for Hard and Insane difficulties
- Enemies speed increased for Insane difficulty
- Added 3 new ultra-difficult tiers for Insane difficulty with much better loot to find
- Upgrade drops quality now better reflects game difficulty - on higher difficulties better drops start occuring right from the beginning of the playthrough
- Added cap for gaining experience speed for every difficulty: after reaching certain character level player gets experience much slower, appropriate information added to difficulty description
- Fixed bug when player could get quest reward Skill Points more than once per quest per character. If character earned more than maximum number of Skill Points (level + all quests reward) - Skill Points will be capped
- Due to skills rebalance player will have all skill reset after map loaded - inventory will be automatically opened and message box will be shown
- Crafting result upgrade quality depends on source upgrades quality now, crafting price depends on expected result quality
- Final boss drop ("Ryuken" weapon) now available as final quest reward
- More special enemies, more respawns and better loot on Free Roam missions
- Elite and Superior enemy "Hellhound" won't fetch grenades now
tl;dr many fun things in a singleplayer game have been nerfed for some reason, NG+ has become more pointless, and game has become somewhat harder :decline:

good thing I still have the 'original version' :smug:

anus_pounder

Arcane
Arm of Orochi was the single coolest weapon in the game. Get that Ryuken shit out of my game. :decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom