Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Shadow Tactics - Blades of Shogun Commandos clone with ninjutsu theme.

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Taka-Haradin puolipeikko, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Fairfaxgender: ⚧ Arcane

Fairfax
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I think Kage-sama's Camp was the weakest because it didn't really have anything special about it, plus the wasted potential. I think it's the only mission where you control the full party, but it doesn't take advantage of that and most characters aren't really necessary (specially Aiko and Takuma). Come to think of it, that's the one mission I didn't like that much.

Kanazawa City is fantastic, and so is Sunpu Castle (last mission). The part after the well is particularly great, and one of the most challenging sections of the game. I think Kanazawa is better because it makes great use of all 4 characters and both duos mesh well (though Hayato+Yuki is easily my favourite), and having Mugen over Aiko is more fun IMO.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Zombragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I thought Kage-Sama's camp was great.

Not done with the game yet, but I really enjoyed something about the 12th mission:

Show Spoiler
    You're fighting the Shogun's men and I was like, wow, do I want to kill the good guys? This is terrible! But I wanted to keep playing the game so I tried playing a bit of the level ... and immediately upon killing my first victim, the game characters had a conversation about how regrettable it was. Very validating!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    There were two things that bugged me a lot aboot it.

First was the wasted potential behind having 5 dudes, as Fairfax said.

Second was cheap it was. No bushes on the entire map + shittons of cross-vision straw hats - the end effect was basically split second-perfect twitch gameplay where you first lob a rock behind the straw hats to distract them for a sec, and then use that supershort window of opportunity to surf around 2-3 other vision cones in the area. I felt there was little actual planning, and way too much twitch in that mission.

Yeah, this was one I liked a lot too. When that convo happened, I immediately smelled a big badge and decided to go through it without killing anyone.

IT WAS HELL

But it was also insanely satisfying hell to pull off successfully.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Fairfaxgender: ⚧ Arcane

Fairfax
    Parrots:
    The biggest problem with a pacifist run in the 12th mission is getting to the first wagon. I think you have to make everyone in the very first area chase footprints from one character and then run with the rest. I went lethal, though. That map is too good a playground for Yuki. :M

Agreed, and I think that made the map too pistol-friendly. I also felt that locking Takuma in one place was very cheap. He's only there for the sake of the plot, and is only useful for killing the 2 guards in towers.

Mount Tsuru more than makes up for it, though.

^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    Lolno, it's easy as hell. All you need to do is lure in the two normal patrolling guards and KO them, after that you take yuki/aiko/hayato and make a run for it to the right, luring the samurai away with footprints, and hide on top of the vines. Meanwhile, the rest of your dudes goes up and hides around the bend in a safe spot. Then you just gotta rejoin the rest with the runner by sneaking through the tents, knock out another guy and enter the wagon using a convenient strip of shaded ground leading straight to it.

BY FAR the hardest thing to do non-lethal on that map is to get past the area once you leave the first wagon. I went right to the temple and managed to do it with nothing short of a miracle, cuz it also required tons of split-second twitch decisions (and also a great deal of luck to make sure KO'd dudes don't decide to look for you in bushes once they wake up).

^ Top  
  6. Fairfaxgender: ⚧ Arcane

Fairfax
    Parrots:
    Huh. I didn't notice the vines when I played it. :lol:
    And what area do you mean? After you leave the wagon, all you have to do is wait for the next one. Once you leave the second wagon, just lure everyone in the middle with the tanuki and drop the non-lethal bomb to knock them out.

^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    When you get into the first wagon, you are stopped by two roadblocks. One is a straw hat that chats up the driver for a moment, which lets you gtfo. The other are two samurai that check the back of the cart and murder you if you're inside.

unless i missed some way to get by those samurai directly, but I don't think so?

^ Top  
  8. Fairfaxgender: ⚧ Arcane

Fairfax
    Parrots:
    You have to leave the wagon with one character when the straw hat stops the wagon, follow the wagon and then shoot he samurai on the right before he can inspect it. There's enough time to enter the wagon and leave before he gets up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Villagkourasgender: ⚧ Savant

Villagkouras
    Parrots:
    Started it, somehow the second mission was easier than the tutorial.

I really like the fact that the devs respect the players: On the third mission, there is the snow tutorial. You leave marks and enemies will track you, ok? AAA devs would go from winking to you "hey, sometimes you can use snow to your advantage, you know?" to flat out guide you "move Yuki here, wait, jump on enemy".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Cyberarmygender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Cyberarmy
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Last 3 missions were exceptional, I especially liked the last one and creative ways to kill "Kage-sama". Happy little accidents.:smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. ghostdoggender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    I've been playing this. It's gud.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. rado907gender: ⚧ Learned

rado907
    Parrots:
    Same, game's awesome, so glad someone revived this genre. Loved Commandos 2, Desperados & Robin Hood. Beat even Commandos 3 and Desperados 2. Didn't beat Helldorado tho. That one is for true fanatics, insanely difficult game.

^ Top  
  13. adddeedgender: ⚧ Liturgist Possibly Retarded

adddeed
    Parrots:
    Commandos 3 was underrated. Got bashed because it had lower resolution and some missions were more action packed. OVerall thought, I really enjoyed it and also liked some of the more popamole missions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    Started doing speedruns for muh cheevos. So far finished only the first three missions. 1 and 2 were p. ez, but 3, hory sheet :shredder: Tbh I can't imagine finishing them all, the whole thing can be ridiculously frustrating.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Zombragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    No way I'm doing the speed runs, that's just not how I play. I am sad it's over though. Looking forward to a replay next year or so, doing different things and going for some of the badges.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. rado907gender: ⚧ Learned

rado907
    Parrots:
    Beat it - took 22 hours. This is GOTY for me, 10/10, would pre-order sequel.

The game is a Desperados in Japan.

Pros:
    + Great graphics and 360 camera rotation.
    + Excellent level design.
    + Quick reload times.
    + The game is challenging, especially if one tries to go for badges and play cleanly (no alarms, no kills on certain levels, no guns, etc). Beat level 12 with the pacifist achievement and it was hard.
    + The metagame offers tons of replayability. There are all sorts of badges and achievements to shoot for.
    + The characters are fun, I liked them.
    + The story is actually good even though a story isn't even necessary in this genre.

Cons:
    None, really. The game has a few quirks such as the lack of an ability to tie unconscious enemies, and bottomless ninja bushes. But those work fine as mechanics.

Really hope the devs would follow Blades of Shogun with 3-4 more similar titles. This genre can work in any setting - historical, fantasy, scifi, whatever you can think of. Looking forward to the next game with the Shadow Tactics engine.

GOTY for me, pleasantly surprised.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. rezafgender: ⚧ Savant

rezaf
    Parrots:
    Even though the final levels turned out as being too difficult for a casual fan of the genre like me, I'd agree with most things you write.
    Except that the game is - by design, basically - a savescumming-fest, and with this in mind, I actually WAS annoyed with the loading times...

^ Top  
  18. Zombragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Did you turn down the difficulty? That's what it's there for!

^ Top  
  19. Goralgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    On what difficulty?
    Definitely not and it is a general consensus™. What rig do you have?

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
  21. Zombragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    My quickload times are definitely slower than Desperados ... just slow enough to make me try not to rely on it completely. Perfect.

^ Top  
  22. HansDampfgender: ⚧ Savant

HansDampf
    Parrots:
    I don't remember there being any quickload times. But first time loads? Take a piss and have another cup of tea. Should have installed in on an SSD.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Grunkergender: ⚧ RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    ^ Roguey - this game does exactly the opposite of PoE (regarding what we talked about). Loading a level takes forever (even on my SSD, sorry HansDampf), but once it's loaded, quick loading is instant. I doubt that if you made a live test with 100 people, more than 5 would prefer the alternative.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. adddeedgender: ⚧ Liturgist Possibly Retarded

adddeed
    Parrots:
    Yeah the first time loading i go and do something else. the subsequent loading times are quick enough, unlike Pillars.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)