Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun - Commandos clone with ninjutsu theme

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BTW, can you use horses to knock down opponents in ST (by cutting their stirrup or whatever it's called or by frightening the horse)?
There are no horsemen in ST, that would be a 4th enemy type. :cool:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Here you can't even left click on a character to choose him

Or you can use your keyboards 1,2,3,4,5 for shortcuts... like real gamers.

if you want to attack with a group

Why do you want to stab a poor guard with 4 and then shoot him?

which often doesn't work as it should

Never had a problem with it, only times I failed were I forgot about shurikens range/ rifle needs set up before fire.

And yes, shooting everyone was possible in Desperados but it was the easy mode

At least SD don't have that easy mode, waiting behind a corner, massecring whole bandit lairs with gun fire.

BTW, can you use horses to knock down opponents in ST

You can stone an ox to kill nearby guards. But there are no horse riders.

I wanna see how the console controls look...

Plays reasonably well with a controller to my suprise, not that I use one.

There are no horsemen in ST, that would be a 4th enemy type.

:roll: Whatever floats your boat mate. Just know that 3 man patrols with a samurai is deadlier than anything that you can encounter in Desperados. Also there are more than 3 enemy types...

I honestly don't know why we are having these conversation though. ST is a great game just like Desperados and Commandos, a honest and faithful revival of a dead, niche genre. Lots of nice touches and hidden moments.
Its only down side is map count imho (13) but maps are quite large and badges create replayabilitt if you like collecting that kind of stuff.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Or you can use your keyboards 1,2,3,4,5 for shortcuts... like real gamers.
I wrote that ("click a number").
Why do you want to stab a poor guard with 4 and then shoot him?
Eh, samurais? Why the fuck can only Mugen kill them? If they're so tough than there should be the option to gang on him. In Desperados some characters had weaker attacks (e.g. Kate) and some opponents were more tough so it made sense to attack with a group. Also I'm pretty sure that attacks were spread there which was sensible for a RT game.
At least SD don't have that easy mode, waiting behind a corner, massecring whole bandit lairs with gun fire.
Of course there is, you use shuriken or Mugen's group attack or Yuki's trap and hide far enough so the enemies won't find you, rinse and repeat. It makes the game longer but not harder.
You can stone an ox to kill nearby guards. But there are no horse riders.
Noticed it when I've read badges.
I honestly don't know why we are having these conversation though. ST is a great game
I'm not saying it's not but saying that it's better than Desperados is blasphemy considering it's such a rip-off.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I wouldn't say it's better, but I also wouldn't say it's worse. It's the same thing to Desperados (and to Commandos) as Desperados was to Commandos - all of these games have vastly different dynamics (and ways to break them), despite sharing the same basic formulas and ideas.

Also, like I said, you men are drastically neglecting the Z axis use in this game to call it a "rip-off" or whatever the fuck. Prancing between rooftops and other props above guards' heads and crossing half the map like that is much more than just "being a sweet ninja on a rooftop and looking cool". It's something completely different/new that has a YUUUUUUGE influence on level design in this game, and which was simply not present in either Commandos or Desperados.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Eh, samurais? Why the fuck can only Mugen kill them?

Everyone can kill them while they are stunned. They're litteraly high level barbarians who are immune to backstabs :D Easly cordinated with shadow strike once everybody gets
wrist guns.

Of course there is, you use shuriken or Mugen's group attack or Yuki's trap and hide far enough so the enemies won't find you, rinse and repeat.

Shuirken losts it effectiveness in crowded areas and night missions. Mugen's attack is strong till we get samurais in groups.
Yuki and her trap is OP though, murdered full forts and villages with her. At least there are enemies that immune to trap and her whistle.

it's such a rip-off.

Well, it's the only rip-off we get over a decade. And it's a really good rip-off.

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sounds like it could have been a really good game if they set it somewhere other than Japan. Too bad.

Same goes for "Desperados". Just checked it out; Wild West? Really? It's 2016 people.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
And it doesnt matter because playing Desperados with those shit abilities is a hilarious pain. While the faaar better solution to literally select all and shoot at a corner so that the whole town runs to you while you shoot and reload.
And it's another reason why Desperados is better. Here you can't even left click on a character to choose him, you either have to click a number or a portrait and selecting all is useless and a pain because if you want to attack with a group you can do it only using shadow mode (which often doesn't work as it should). And yes, shooting everyone was possible in Desperados but it was the easy mode, that's why I've finished the game without shooting anybody and later without killing anybody (except for the last 2 missions). The only thing so far that is the improvement in ST are the badges and more elaborate statistics, otherwise it's inferior to Desperados. There weren't such dumb things like Takuma talking to himself for example (first mission, he was talking to the player saying what we need to do).

BTW, can you use horses to knock down opponents in ST (by cutting their stirrup or whatever it's called or by frightening the horse)?
Look bro its good to be critical of a game. Most of your points are valid. But we can all agree that in this day and age of popamole shit that gets released daily, to get a spiritual successor of Commandos/ Desperados, and in such polished state, and fun to play, is a miracle. I mean no one even knew these guys existed until a week ago and they drop this gem on us.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I honestly don't know why we are having these conversation though.
Somebody said that this is Desperados improved in every way, something like that. That triggered me, because Desperados is still superior in a few very obvious ways. Don't get me wrong, Shadow Tactics is wonderful and I'm extremely grateful for a "real Desperados 2", but you don't talk about the love of my life (Desperados) like she's not beautiful any more and expect me to keep quiet.

zool

Arcane
I honestly don't know why we are having these conversation though.
Somebody said that this is Desperados improved in every way, something like that. That triggered me, because Desperados is still superior in a few very obvious ways. Don't get me wrong, Shadow Tactics is wonderful and I'm extremely grateful for a "real Desperados 2", but you don't talk about the love of my life (Desperados) like she's not beautiful any more and expect me to keep quiet.

For my part, I did say that ST "kept Commandos' and Desperados' good ideas and improved on them" - the part about "improving on them" was more about the fact that they slightly modernized the interface and the gameplay without dumbing it down, not so much that they drastically improved the gameplay, so maybe that was poorly phrased.

I too love Desperados to the point that it would definitely make it into my top 5 favorite games - and I of course consider it superior to ST, if only for the incredibly gorgeous 2D backgrounds. I must say though that even though ST's maps are not as pretty as Desperados', I didn't think they could come so close with a 3D engine.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
The benefit though is the freely rotatable camera and that alone is pretty big improvement as well.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
How would you rate this game in relation to Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood, the only Commandos-like I had played?

(Or, incidentally, how would you rate them all?)

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
They are all great fun honestly and well worth playing. But between them, id rate them:

Commandos 2 > Desperados = Robin Hood > Commandos 1 = Shadow Tactics > Commandos 3 > Helldorado > Desperados 2. Havent played Star Trek Away Team or the one set during the Korean war.

zool

Arcane
I would go Desperados > Commandos 2 > Robin Hood > Shadow Tactics > Commandos BtCoD (I've never played Commandos BeL for some reason).

Though I prefer Desperados, it must be noted that Commandos 2 is the only one of these games that includes playable interiors for ALL buildings, and that's pretty awesome.

Robin Hood's main flaw is the very low number of major maps (IIRC there are only 6, while Desperados had around 20 of them), though there are a couple of minor maps that supplement them.

HansDampf

Arcane
Who cares how much it rips off Desperados? I've always wanted another Desperados/Commandos style game, and this came as a surprise. More please.
Just did the 4th mission on hard (doesn't seem much harder than normal) and I'm liking it so far.
- I consider Aiko's disguise ability an improvement over Kate.
- Enemies aren't as funny as the drunkards in Desperados.
- The ox in the 2nd mission is a hero and managed to kill half the map.
- Don't really care for the badges, but I'm interested to see if ironmanning individual missions is a viable challenge.

miles teg

Scholar
Having a blast with this game. I wasn't expecting such a polished gameplay from an unknown company. My personal GOTY since it's the only game I can't stop playing at 2 AM. Consider me sold for any sequel, expansion or cosmetic DLC.

I realized I never played Desperados, only Commandos.
Which Desperados do you suggest? Both? Jump directly to the second?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Last edited by a moderator:

Zombra

Patron
Pity that first Desperados is unplayable with windows 8 (probably win 10 too).

Do you know if it works alright for Windows 7?

It does, but you need some workarounds to get it to werk properly.

https://af.gog.com/forum/desperados...enemy_view_cone_slow_down_issue?as=1649904300
http://steamcommunity.com/app/260730/discussions/0/540737262306815107/
Yeah ... I found that after my latest reformat and Win 7 reinstall, the game still runs choppy with cursor issues, basically unplayable :(

Last edited by a moderator:

miles teg

Scholar
So, if it runs, desperados 1 is the best?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom