Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Shadow Tactics - Blades of Shogun Commandos clone with ninjutsu theme.

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Taka-Haradin puolipeikko, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Zombragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Don't they know it's "酒"? :argh:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. KK1001gender: ⚧ Savant

KK1001
    Parrots:
    Amazing game. Here's hoping for an expansion or a sequel that throws the player right into it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Nryngender: ⚧ Savant Patron

Nryn
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Just finished my first playthrough, and it's the best stealth game I've played in years. Impeccable level design and clever enemy placement ensured that the enemy variety or lack thereof was never truly a hindrance to enjoying the game.

Apart from obvious expansion/sequel additions like new abilities, heroes and enemy types, there are a few changes I'd like the (hopefully) next game to have:

1. Even more differentiation between the characters: Characters in ST can all perform 4 broad categories of actions: a primary attack (mostly melee), a secondary ranged attack (except Aiko), a distraction and shoot sidearms. The differentiation between the 5 characters comes from the variation in abilities within each of these 4 primary categories, as well as movement options. For the next game, I'd prefer if different characters performed completely different roles instead of performing largely similar roles through different means.

2. UI changes: A minor change I'd like to see is better area monitoring. ST provides just a dotted line from the enemy whose vision passes over a selected area, whereas Commandos 1 actually provided the entire sight cone of the offending soldier when it crossed the specified area. The difference is that when 2 or more enemies saw the same spot, Commandos 1 showed exactly when the enemies saw the monitored area (ST does this), as well as what exactly they see (ST does not provide this). Commandos 1's area monitoring provided more information, enabling the designers to include even more demanding enemy placements.

One major change UI change I'd like to see is a more reliable way to drop off bodies to a lower floor. The game's far too finicky about this and limits this functionality when it logically shouldn't. Instead of having to pixel hunt the exact spot that gets the contextual "drop bodies down" icon to show up, I'd prefer a dedicated button to save myself from this hassle altogether.

3. The ability to edit enemy placements on existing campaign maps and share them with the community: One of the good additions of the recent Hitmans is the ability to create custom contracts and share them. This idea is begging to be implemented in the Commandos genre of games since puzzling out the intricate web of interconnected enemies is the main draw of these games. Even if the level stays the same visually, different compositions and locations for the enemy means having to relearn the level all over again. The developers can still use expansions and sequels as a means to introduce new enemy types, abilities and hero characters.

Anyway, even if none of the above comes to pass, and the expansion/sequel is just "more of the same", It'd still be great news, since ST was one of the most satisfying stealth experiences I've had.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Volrathgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Volrath
    Parrots:
    Have they planned any DLC and/or expansions?

^ Top  
  5. Goralgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. HoboForEternitygender: ⚧ Magister

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    Uu i should get this game but i am,already strapped for time and cash already. I dunno what i want more. This or thimbleweed

^ Top  
  7. Zombragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Started a replay last week to go through on Hardcore. Tried the English voice acting this time and couldn't handle it. The Japanese voice acting sounds far superior to me. (Maybe it's just because I don't understand Japanese so I can't tell whether the actors are bad.)

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. miles teggender: ⚧ Educated

miles teg
    Parrots:
    This is my biggest gripe with the game. However what's really the alternative? I mean, in the first Commandos you had much more diversity and you ended up with the green beret cleaning 80% of the map alone while the driver was just dead weight, useful in the last minute to enter the vehicle and exit the map.
    And I think I never used the marine after the third mission or so (apart from where it was necessary to cross water).
    The issue in these games is that if you can't at least pickup/hide a body you are pretty much useless and so the marine was just wasted.
    I'd like to see a game like this that can combine diversity with usefulness, but between these two extremes, I prefer dudes with similar roles to a one-does-all-the-job.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Nryngender: ⚧ Savant Patron

Nryn
    Parrots:
    The Green Beret being too useful was certainly a problem, and not one that a Shadow Tactics sequel should look to replicate. My issue is that Hayato, Aiko and Yuki have too much overlap with one another in terms of playstyle. It would be better if each of those characters had something unique to offer, as Aiko already does with her disguises. In Shadow Tactics, even though Aiko's disguise is arguably the most powerful ability, missions are not rigidly designed around using her disguise to progress; I was a huge fan of those optional badges that challenged the player to not use disguises at all over the course of the mission. This is what I'd like to see more of in the sequel -- give the characters unique abilities that open up alternative paths in the mission, without making the use of those abilities mandatory.

On the topic of Commandos 1, the driver and marine were deceptively useful:

The marine was the only one capable of silently killing patrols of 3 enemies with his harpoon gun. He became invaluable when I didn't want to expend the Sapper's grenades to take out patrols. The driver also had a hidden mechanic where the game would flag his truck as a friendly depending on whether the rest of the commandos entered the truck first or he did. As a result, it was possible to use him to bypass tricky parts of the level in addition to commandeering getaway vehicles. Both these commandos saw a lot of use in the second half of the game where the difficulty ramps up.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. miles teggender: ⚧ Educated

miles teg
    Parrots:
    Well that's proof that the missions could be handled indifferent ways, since I didn't know these tricks so I used to play with just the spy and the green berret (and the sapper's noisy item).

But regardless, we basically agree on both this game and commandos, it's just that what you are proposing (and I agree with) it's not so easy to achieve without causing other issues.

One thing that I believe helps is to have levels where you start with 2 teams in different parts of the map: in these cases having duplicates is definitely acceptable.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Great Deceivergender: ⚧ Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Parrots:
    -25% on the Steam sale. Had hoped for a higher discount...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Notoriousgender: ⚧ Scholar

Notorious
    Parrots:
    k

• Shit Shit x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. zoolgender: ⚧ Savant

zool
    Parrots:
    Bought it a few days ago on GoG for -25% too. With the backlog I have, I could easily have waited two years and bought it for 5$ but given what I've seen from the demo, the devs really did a great job, so you might as well encourage them and buy their game at near full price (esp. if you want to see a sequel).

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Salute Salute x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. HoboForEternitygender: ⚧ Magister

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    same, a friend can't shut up about how awesome it is. caved in and bought it at 25%

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  15. Great Deceivergender: ⚧ Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Parrots:
    Bought it too. It's awesome.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again Spellcastergender: ⚧ Ask me about Thief Patron

Spellcaster
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    This is exactly what I came here to say :)

It's a very well executed revival of the Commandos-likes subgenre, that's all you have to say to see my money, really. Bought it to support the devs, very happy to see the game's having a lot of success, I hope they get the message and make more on this vein. Personally, as much as this game is probably amazing (only finished the first level) and I love the setting, I'd prefer if they go for another one instead of a direct sequel. Maybe because we're sorta spoiled with this genre - considering how small it is, it's surprisingly varied (WWII, wild west, Robin Hood's medieval setting, and there was even that mafia style one, Chicago 1930). Ancient Rome/Greece/Egypt would be a blast for their next game.

Or a straight Shadow Tactics 2, hell, just give me more Commandos gameplay.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  17. Sranchammergender: ⚧ Arcane

Sranchammer
    Parrots:
    Except for being full of nips and weaboos, the game is good.

• Racist Racist x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Make America Great Again Spellcastergender: ⚧ Ask me about Thief Patron

Spellcaster
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    The Commandos genre seems to be very profitable and attract a lot of praise, why aren't there more people making them? I remember when I got my box of Commandos Ammo Pack (BEL + BTCOD), it said on the cover "2 million copies sold worldwide". Back then that was immensely huge. Desperados was also a big hit, it even spawned 2 sequels. I also remember reading that Robin Hood delayed Spellbound's bankruptcy by some years. Now Shadow Tactics came out of nowhere, everybody liked it and seems to be selling quite well. So, not many people noticing this or what? It already sold much more than Torment TON :lol:

Anyone who makes a good Commandos clone will automatically earn my money. This is the only genre to which I'd say this.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    Because es hard.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:

segment starts around 29:20

imagine having "evangelist" as your job title.

^ Top  
  21. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    Sounds funny but "evangelists" tend to get a lot of money, especially in the IT sector... If you see a "Microsoft Technical Evangelist" for example, be sure that he is being payed well

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Cyberarmygender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Cyberarmy
    Parrots:
    Seems like they are working on console versions and bug/performance fixes for a long time...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/418240/discussions/0/133258593390118933/

• Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. HoboForEternitygender: ⚧ Magister

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    ow, it seems i am gonna hold out playin this till the patch rolls out meguess

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Urbanologender: ⚧ Learned

Urbanolo
    Parrots:
    Don't. The game is extraordinary in the current state and definitely worth a playthrough. I haven't encountered any bugs and I've played it at release.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    this

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)